Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Heat On Rear Cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 10:55 AM
coupe55
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I agree

Originally Posted by 1550vt
Not to oversimplify things....and I wish all you folks good luck in trying to bring down the rear jug heat via tuning, but for as long as I have owned an air-cooled v-twin the rear cylinder has always ran hotter. BMW sticks both jugs out in the wind....we stick the rear jug right behind an obstacle...called the front jug. Just for curiosities sake...take a look around the next big group of Harleys you run across and look at the area around the plug on top of the rear head. If it was originally black, a well worn TC will be polished around the plug area on the rear cylinder where the finish has been burned off.

Will never get the rear down to what the front head temps are and may not get them down enough to make a great deal of difference. Just experimenting around and will see what I can do to lower the temp some. I know the Parade fan has to take the temps down some at idle, may have to run some duct work back their after I get all I can from richining up the AFR. I don't use the crotch cooler because I believe they keep a certain amount of air off that rear cylinder and I believe it needs all it can get.

Would like to have one of the old 40's Harley copy cats that had the Jugs stuck out in the wind. I believe that was a short run military version! My ol 88 was not that bad, just to much CU. IN. and lower fairing now I guess. I know the 03 rear jug run hotter also but not to this degree.

Old 07-28-2010, 12:27 PM
Road Warrior
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Coupe...I think Buell actually "experimented" with some venting under-and-around the tank with some models to try and get some air back there.

Those 40's models you mentioned....I think those were BMW-like engines (or the same design) built by HD under contract to the military. You know...they did that again with the Canadian military using a one-lung Rotax engine back in the mid-90's. The dealer here still has a couple.

Old 07-30-2010, 11:59 AM
cadman311
Club Member

Use a Parade fan or Le Nale fan they will keep your engine cool on a hot day sitting still. I had to replace the fan motor the other day. Here is what the fan motor is all about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UY2Y1ZCFeF8

If you can find a place other than the fan holder the fan is good by it's self.

Old 07-30-2010, 01:04 PM
coupe55
Club Member
Default Thanks

Originally Posted by cadman311
Use a Parade fan or Le Nale fan they will keep your engine cool on a hot day sitting still. I had to replace the fan motor the other day. Here is what the fan motor is all about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UY2Y1ZCFeF8

If you can find a place other than the fan holder the fan is good by it's self.

Most of us have already got the Lanale or HD Parade Fan and a lot are running upgraded oil coolers with fans. The Jagg 10 or the New Ultra Cool that is large capacity and has it's own dedicated fan.

The Parade fans alone are not sufficient for long idle periods in traffic on hot days for the stock 2010 Tri's.