Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Too HOT!

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 10:10 AM
fogrider
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Barb, Is that dip stick the touring model for the ultra?

Old 07-15-2010, 10:56 AM
TheJimer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dixie FLSTS
Why is the 09 a better choice, IYO ?

I had a couple of used bikes to choose from before buying and I ended up with the 2010.
The 2010 TG’s have a Catalytic Converter which robs power and makes them run extremely hot. Only 2009’s that were produced for overseas and the CA markets had CAT’s.

There are many threads here on how to resolve the problem…not cheep but it can be done!

Jim

Old 07-15-2010, 11:02 AM
TheJimer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by msocko3
280 is pretty warm, hope your running a good synthetic oil.
I agree, 280 oil temp is getting on the high side. I also question the accuracy of the digital dip stick temp gauge on a TG!

Jim

Old 07-15-2010, 03:02 PM
coupe55
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Oil Temps

Originally Posted by BinIdaho
Absolutely!!

If you are checking the oil with a dip stick thermometer in the tank you may be running higher than 280. That is post cooler! The sensor in the oil pan may be more accurrate.

Did the EITMS kick in much when at idle on that 100 degree ride?

Old 07-15-2010, 03:32 PM
dixie FLSTS
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Jim:
Had I known that beforehand I would have most likely went for the 09.

Last edited by dixie FLSTS; 07-15-2010 at 03:35 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-15-2010, 03:45 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by dixie FLSTS
Thanks Jim:
Had I known that beforehand I would have most likely went for the 09.
I felt the same way after I took delivery of my 10 last August. In the end things have worked out and my wallet is lighter.

Old 07-15-2010, 07:11 PM
roger scarcliff
Advanced

Here is what I have done to slay the heat monster. Removed the stock header and replaced with Jackpot header. Installed PCV, K&N AC, Screaming Eagle slip on mufflers and Harley Goodies floor board extensions and Big Sky oil cooler fans and Amsoil in the engine. Before I installed the Big Sky fans and Amsoil the EITMS would kick in and the bike still felt extremely hot. Forgive me for not being able to give oil temp due to the fact that I do not have an oil temp gaugle. I spoke to the rep at Fuel Moto and the rep e-mailed a fuel map to help with the cooling/heat issue. Downloaded new map into PCV, installed Big Sky fans and Amsoil. Rode the trike this past weekend in 96 degree weather. By seat of the pants temp gauge, the trike felt cooler and the EITMS did not kick in at stop lights as it did previously before the mods. I would turn on the fans just before coming to stop lights. This was two up riding, me and the wife. Still looking into running a HD or Jagg oil cooler in conjunction with the cooler on the trike. So far so good. One more thing, I was riding with shorts on and did not feel any extreme heat on my chicken legs.

Old 07-15-2010, 08:08 PM
RogueRyder1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by BinIdaho
I have the '09 TG and just returned from an 1,178 mile trip to Cody, WY...temps were 100 from Twin Falls to Caldwell. I have no heat issues.
Hi Barb- I'd like to meet up with you sometime for a ride. I'm in northern part of Utah. Where abouts are you?
I originally had ordered the '09 but backed out due to job market. Then I got a get-up in my attitude and said I was wasn't waiting to retire to get my dream ride.
So, now I have the '10 TG and loving it, except for the heat issue.
RR1

Old 07-15-2010, 08:11 PM
RogueRyder1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by coupe55
If you notice the modifications in Booms signature you will see where you eventually will have to go.

What he said plus header wrap, 2000 deg. minimum for the short term until you get a chance to get into the real cooling modifications. Wrap the Cat area on the Headpipe and really it will help to wrap the pipes up to the head also. You can wrap the cat without taking the headpipe off.
Your shields hide it so it don't kill the looks of your Tri.
Coupe55- I'd like to see what it looks like wrapped, if anyone has a pic I can see. I'm not good at wrapping presents, hence the gift bags.
Thanks!

Old 07-15-2010, 08:16 PM
RogueRyder1
Intermediate
Red face

Originally Posted by Boom
Cheap interim fix:
1. Get highway peg mounts (long)--50829-07A
2. Get floorboard extensions--harleygoodies.com (site sponsor)
3. Get longer (wider?) brake pedal. Kuryakyn has a good one.
4. Remove the lower fairings. This seems to help many riders.

This should get your legs away from the exhaust a bit. Fuel management won't bring down the searing heat that much. The best move would be to eventually get rid of the catalyst headpipe.
I've also noticed that turning the fairing vents to direct more air towards the engine helps. But this will also bring more wind to the sides of your head. Of course, this only helps when you're moving.
"Cheap interim fix:
1. Get highway peg mounts (long)--50829-07A"

Boom- I checked on those Kury 360's and they are 4". I still won't be able to reach the pegs. I need something that will reach back 6-7". Does anyone have anything for this inseam impaired lady?

Quick Reply: Too HOT!