Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Exhaust and A/C

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 05:28 PM
CRBandit
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by grandpawmoses
I should have my headpipe & mufflers next week and I've got a TTS with a very close dyno tuned Ultra Limited map ready (thanks to the assistance of Mr Wizard). If my luck holds, I'll be installing it all next weekend & will report how it performs. One feature I'm anxious to try is that the throttle blade table is set so the electronic throttle will seem like a mechanical throttle.
Interested to know what mufflers you went with and also if you went with the Fuel Moto headpipe?

Old 07-10-2010, 09:10 PM
coupe55
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Under Warranty

Originally Posted by Boom
Rob, with the PC V install on the '10s, the O2 sensors are unplugged from the ECM and tie-wrapped to a cable bundle. They would be installed again if you also went with Autotune setup.
If you installed an '09 headpipe w/the PC V, just plug the bung holes. As per Jamie and crew @Fuelmoto, the ECM will register codes with sensors unplugged but no harm done.

I assumed the 2010 Tri as still under warranty, the PC-5 with auto tune was the only one I would consider. I could unplug it as the XIED's if the Tri had to be taken in for warranty work. With an 09 pipe with the 09 sensors bung plugged, PC-5 only you may have a problem unless you got an awful good relationship with the dealer.

With the PC-5 and auto tune plugged into the 2010 sensors, "installed on the 09 pipe" you would come closer to not having a warranty issue. Remove them if you have to take it in for service. MOCO frowns on those things and some dealers may flag your VIN if not downright void your warranty!

Out from under warranty the PC-5 and the plugged O2 Sensor bungs on an 09 Pipe, cheapest easiest way to go.

The Fuel Motto pipe with the 2010 sensor bungs in the correct place would be fine with the PC-5 plus the Auto Tune, would also give you the same opportunity to pull the after market management if you took it in for service.

Last edited by coupe55; 07-10-2010 at 09:45 PM.
Old 07-10-2010, 09:16 PM
coupe55
Club Member
Default XIED's

Originally Posted by robandlyn
Coupe ...
Do yo have a part number or web link ?
Rob .....

http://www.nightrider.com/parts/

Old 07-11-2010, 05:17 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by TheJimer
I don’t know how much a ’09 head pipe would cost
At one point I looked into this and if I remember right I could have gotten it for around $370. I had thought about getting a 09 pipe and welding in 12mm bungs for the 2010 O2 sensors. I changed my mind because I was concerned about getting the bungs in a position that would not cause any cross talk issues.

Old 07-11-2010, 07:35 AM
grandpawmoses
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CRBandit
Interested to know what mufflers you went with and also if you went with the Fuel Moto headpipe?
It's the FuelMoto Jackpot headpipe & mufflers.

Old 07-11-2010, 07:40 AM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 309 Likes on 200 Posts

question?
when I had my 2010 RG I hated the 2 into 1 exhaust, looked unbalanced to me. I picked up a used set of 2010 Ultra exhaust and was going to de-cat the headed and install it on the road toad and put stock mufflers for the dual exhaust look.
Could I still do this on my 2010 TG? decat the 2010 UC exhaust ( o2 sensors should hook up).
decat the exhaust and install it, get a PC-V, air cleaner, performance mufflers. would this be advisable?
I kept the 2010 US exhaust when I traded the road toad, haven't done anything with it yet.

Old 07-11-2010, 08:43 AM
ptoemmes
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Boom
Rob, with the PC V install on the '10s, the O2 sensors are unplugged from the ECM and tie-wrapped to a cable bundle. They would be installed again if you also went with Autotune setup.
If you installed an '09 headpipe w/the PC V, just plug the bung holes. As per Jamie and crew @Fuelmoto, the ECM will register codes with sensors unplugged but no harm done.
Disclaimer: I do not have a PC V or a TG (yet) much less a HD scoot, but I read a lot.

I believe if you add the Auto Tune to the PC V setup the AT plugs into the stock O2 sensors which is what Boom is saying too.

But I had heard, may be an urban myth, that it is not a good idea to leave disconnected O2 sensors in the pipe because they could be damaged?! - better to install (screw in) O2 plugs and remove the O2 sensors. If you do that and later want to add AT then back in the O2 sensors need to go back in assuming they would still be functional if properly stored - whatever that means.

I do not to know why it may be not a good idea, so what's the truth?

Pete

Old 07-11-2010, 09:04 AM
coupe55
Club Member
Default Auto Tune

Originally Posted by Casper
question?
when I had my 2010 RG I hated the 2 into 1 exhaust, looked unbalanced to me. I picked up a used set of 2010 Ultra exhaust and was going to de-cat the headed and install it on the road toad and put stock mufflers for the dual exhaust look.
Could I still do this on my 2010 TG? decat the 2010 UC exhaust ( o2 sensors should hook up).
decat the exhaust and install it, get a PC-V, air cleaner, performance mufflers. would this be advisable?
I kept the 2010 US exhaust when I traded the road toad, haven't done anything with it yet.
If you use the auto tune with the PC-5 I believe it would be workable. You would have to add on the cost of adding the runners to the Ultra Pipe, might be cost feasable if you can fab it up yourself since you already have the pipe. I would bust the weld at the end of the headpipe behind the cat and weld it back there. Header wrap will hide the weld and get some of the heat off your right foot, although they won't be as much heat after you decat.

Some say not to take all the cat material out! It has been reported there have been drivability and tuning problems since the O2 sensors are so close together.

IMO if you have to buy a used 09 pipe or spend a lot on modifying a 2010 pipe it would make more sense to go ahead and buy the tuned Fuel Motto stainless pipe that will give you a little extra HP and torque.

I modified my 2010 pipe because there were no available pipes to switch to at the time. I will be pulling mine this winter and going with either the Fuel Motto or the Fullsac.

Old 07-11-2010, 11:39 AM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 309 Likes on 200 Posts

I know this will sound stupid, but with the fuel moto pipe, do you not use the O2 sensors? if not, what do you do with them? will you get codes ?
New to all this, I usually leave my bike stock, maybe stage 1 but that's as far as I go, never had any issues with the bike leaving it stock.

Old 07-11-2010, 12:50 PM
coupe55
Club Member
Default The Stock Look

Originally Posted by Casper
I know this will sound stupid, but with the fuel moto pipe, do you not use the O2 sensors? if not, what do you do with them? will you get codes ?
New to all this, I usually leave my bike stock, maybe stage 1 but that's as far as I go, never had any issues with the bike leaving it stock.
Fuel Motto put the 2010 O2 sensor bungs in the 2010 OEM position. They say you can use the PC-5 alone and not use the sensors. You can use the PC-5 plus the auto tune and use the sensors. To me the best fuel management program would be TTS or SEPST, you will have to install the 2010 sensors in the headpipe then.

My concern is warranty work, I have my OEM Modified Headpipe but it is wrapped and you can't tell it unless you undo the wrap. If you take the bike in for service will a tech notice the O2 sensors not there,"plugged up" or there and just unplugged? What will he say about finding the PC-5?

A set of XIED'S would be a lot cheaper than the PC-5, they plug into your O2 Sensors and you can pull them in about 2 minutes and go back original right before you pull it in to the HD Service Center. I imagine you could do the same with the PC-5 and the Auto Tune that uses the sensors.

In short PC-5 only you don't use the sensors
TTS, SEPST you use the sensors
PC-5 with the auto tunerer, you use the sensors

I will run my MODIFIED but not detectable OEM pipe until after warranty!
I will then go with the fuel motto pipe and a fuel management system, that uses the sensors.

Quick Reply: Exhaust and A/C