Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Exhaust and A/C

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 10:44 AM
TheJimer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Boom
Rob, IMHO, I say you could/should do #3 and get away with under a grand in expense. Fuelmoto would sell you the entire package. But I understand there is a 10-week wait on that SS headpipe. I guess word gets around fast. Who said there's a recession?
Rob,
I agree with Boom: I think that option #3 would most likely provide you with the most bang for your buck.

Jim

Old 07-09-2010, 11:41 AM
coupe55
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Keeping it Stock

Originally Posted by robandlyn
I have a couple of interesting question after reading the past posts
in this thread. Only because I don't have an extra $1500+ hanging
around BUT would like to maybe do it alittle at a time.
If you could answer each separatly .... thanks .....
Rob .....

1.) Could you just replace the headpipe and leave the rest stock ?
Wouldn't the stock EFI make the appriate corrections like when you
replace stock muffles.

2.) Could you just replace the headpipe and add say a PC 5 and leave the
stock AC & pipes ?

3.) Could you just replace the headpipe and add say a PC 5 & high flow AC and leave the stock pipes ?

Or keeping it cool, yes you can change just the headpipe and not do a Stage I and th the ECM will probably adjust for it. Thing is if you have been following along the 2010 Tri is to lean 14.6 and that is what caused the hot condition or a lot of it. I just drilled my stock headpipe and added a set of XIED's an am now at 13.8 idle through 4000 RPM. That is where your sitting around in traffic idling on hot days needs that little bit of extra fuel.

The headpipe and a PC-5 minimum, you still want some sort of fuel management to richin up that AFR.

Old 07-09-2010, 12:54 PM
Boom
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by coupe55
Or keeping it cool, yes you can change just the headpipe and not do a Stage I and th the ECM will probably adjust for it. Thing is if you have been following along the 2010 Tri is to lean 14.6 and that is what caused the hot condition or a lot of it. I just drilled my stock headpipe and added a set of XIED's an am now at 13.8 idle through 4000 RPM. That is where your sitting around in traffic idling on hot days needs that little bit of extra fuel.

The headpipe and a PC-5 minimum, you still want some sort of fuel management to richin up that AFR.
Coupe, someone else here mentioned the use of the XIEDs on their TG and reported a drop of 3 mpg. How does that compare to your setup?

Old 07-09-2010, 06:51 PM
robandlyn
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you mentioned that you removed the lowers on her TG. That should get it through this heat spell.
Ya Boom I did but we went for a ride last Sunday in 90^ heat and
only did a 100 mile loop and her inner thigh was all red like a sunburn.
I think I may get a set of "no fry thigh's" from RJ Original's to scoop
the heat away. I think they will work better than the air scoops that
come stock on the TG's. I have them on my Ultra and they worked well.
Rob .....

Old 07-09-2010, 07:16 PM
coupe55
Club Member
Default XIED's

Coupe, someone else here mentioned the use of the XIEDs on their TG and reported a drop of 3 mpg. How does that compare to your setup?

Sounds about right, I have not figured my milage in a while but I know I lost some! It's a trade off! We want a little extra fuel to cool em down some so you know you are getting it when your mileage drops off.

Mine are temporary, until out of warranty, will go with a better fuel management system later on. I can yank these in 2 minutes if I to take it to the service dept.

Old 07-09-2010, 07:21 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

I have a couple of interesting question after reading the past posts
in this thread. Only because I don't have an extra $1500+ hanging
around BUT would like to maybe do it alittle at a time.
If you could answer each separatly .... thanks .....
Rob .....

1.) Could you just replace the headpipe and leave the rest stock ?
Wouldn't the stock EFI make the appriate corrections like when you
replace stock muffles.

2.) Could you just replace the headpipe and add say a PC 5 and leave the
stock AC & pipes ?

3.) Could you just replace the headpipe and add say a PC 5 & high flow AC and leave the stock pipes ?
IMO I'd see no problem going with option 2 and worrying about AC and mufflers as cash came available. Now the problem as been mentioned is the backorder on the Jackpot headpipe. It would be great to be able to get the headpipe and PCV from Jamie and bolt it on, but 10 week BO is kind of tough. You could also check with Fullsac about his headpipe, I love my Jackpot but I wouldn't be afraid to check out the headpipe from Fullsac also.

Old 07-09-2010, 07:33 PM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Ya Boom I did but we went for a ride last Sunday in 90^ heat and
only did a 100 mile loop and her inner thigh was all red like a sunburn.
I think I may get a set of "no fry thigh's" from RJ Original's to scoop
the heat away. I think they will work better than the air scoops that
come stock on the TG's. I have them on my Ultra and they worked well.
Rob .....
Rob: I sure hope you were a true gentleman and rubbed some lotion on her inner thigh. By the way, did you ever make it to Americade?? Mike

Old 07-09-2010, 11:54 PM
Mrshully
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HOT HOT on right side

I have read the post concerning the right side exhaust. I have literally thought about pulling over at times because of the heat. Will be taking trike in next Wed. for 1,000 mile check up and will AGAIN ask what can be done. Love to ride other than this issue.

Old 07-10-2010, 07:05 AM
carlo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Rob, IMHO, I say you could/should do #3 and get away with under a grand in expense. Fuelmoto would sell you the entire package. But I understand there is a 10-week wait on that SS headpipe. I guess word gets around fast. Who said there's a recession?
I don,t understand why Fuelmoto has a 10 week wait on the TG head pipe. Do I have to pay up front first then wait 10 weeks for there head pipe. Or are there so many TG's out there that they can't keep up with demand. If I can order one without them having my money for 10 weeks. I'll order one but I don't give my money to anyone up front for 10 weeks.

Old 07-10-2010, 08:06 AM
coupe55
Club Member
Default Beating the Summer Demand

Originally Posted by carlo
I don,t understand why Fuelmoto has a 10 week wait on the TG head pipe. Do I have to pay up front first then wait 10 weeks for there head pipe. Or are there so many TG's out there that they can't keep up with demand. If I can order one without them having my money for 10 weeks. I'll order one but I don't give my money to anyone up front for 10 weeks.
I knew there would be a great demand for these pipes when summer rolled around. The ones that did their cooling mods this winter and spring got ahead of the game. Most forums are reporting heat complaints for all the Harley baggers, keeping up with demand from all the touring is the problem. If it was just a rush of orders on the Tri's only I feel they could keep up.

I modified my stock headpipe until the field settles down! If you have a little welding skills and some header wrap to hide it you can decat your headpipe and order this winter when the demand comes back down.

If it does!

Quick Reply: Exhaust and A/C