Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

TG Comprehensive Hot Weather Test Report

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2010 | 06:25 PM
oldmsocko
Club Member

Originally Posted by TheJimer
And yes oldmsoko; I did detail the undercarriage while my TG was in the air!
Jim: While cleaning mine up after returning home, I put mine on the lift and detailed the undercarriage and took off rear tires and cleaned the inner side of the rims. My oil cooler was not packed with mud any way near as bad as M3's. I did order a mud flap for the front like Butch has.

I was fairly happy with the overall performance of my trike. It lacked a little power in strong head winds going up hills in 6th gear. All in all it performed well.

Old 07-13-2010 | 03:56 PM
TheJimer
|
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Casper
Wife and I went on a 300 mile ride yesterday, 89 degree weather. Trying to get 1000 miles before next Wednesday's service. We're headed for Billings MT for a BK convention Thursday....anyway.
The ride was nice, heat not too bad, I can live with it, but with all you guys making it easier for us not to have to...I will do some hard studying for winter mods. I think I'm going to go with the Fuel Moto header, PC-V, and performance exhaust...my real concern is power.
While on the ride yesterday I was very disappointed with the power of the TG...on the 2 lanes she didn't do too bad, on the interstate she fell on her face HARD!...sometimes WOT and not much more than 65/70 MPH on a slight grade..not a large hill..WOW...pretty bad. The past two trikes I've owned were Honda GL1800 Gold wings and they had enough power...
OK, OK don't get in a tizzy, I love the TG, no I don't want another wing, no I don't expect the same power of the flat six on my TG...but it sure needs something. So my question is, will the Woods cam wake it up? not stump pulling power but a little more for two up riding, able to maintain a reasonable speed on the interstate pulling a grade...and we'll be pulling a Bushtec trailer...I can't get anything done before our trip, looking for this winter modifications.

Casper, losing your CAT will help with the performance and IMO, the Wood RW6-6 is a nice middle of the road cam providing some additional low end torque and extending the power curve. However, if you are going to do a lot of 2-up towing you may want to investigate some other cam possibilities.

Jim

Old 07-13-2010 | 04:01 PM
TheJimer
|
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by oldmsocko
Jim: While cleaning mine up after returning home, I put mine on the lift and detailed the undercarriage and took off rear tires and cleaned the inner side of the rims. My oil cooler was not packed with mud any way near as bad as M3's. I did order a mud flap for the front like Butch has.

I was fairly happy with the overall performance of my trike. It lacked a little power in strong head winds going up hills in 6th gear. All in all it performed well.
M3 mentioned that he had a difficult time pulling a steep grade with a nasty head wind but I’m wondering if he had an easier time than you because of his cam. I think that your cam is still stock, correct?

Jim

Old 07-13-2010 | 06:08 PM
oldmsocko
Club Member

Originally Posted by TheJimer
M3 mentioned that he had a difficult time pulling a steep grade with a nasty head wind but I’m wondering if he had an easier time than you because of his cam. I think that your cam is still stock, correct?

Jim
I also have the SE 255 cams. Probably won't have the same cam next year. Modifications will take place this winter. I am also probably going to have the 2" pull back bars added like Butch did.