Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

TG Comprehensive Hot Weather Test Report

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2010 | 03:42 PM
SEAlaskan
Tourer

Originally Posted by Boom
Ditto here. Since the seat bottom is uneven with ribs, I wonder how you can apply anything to it? I also have my PC V under the seat and wouldn't want anything conductive or pressing against it. There is a frame plate adjacent from the rear cylinder that could retain a lot of heat. I wonder if that is what Jim is talking about?
I still can't understand why they would put a hole in the cup of the seat. Certainly isn't a vent for cool air! Unless it's for flatulent riders!!
I was told that the cut in the seat is for the water to drain after a wash or after a down poor. So watch your electrial connections in that area.
Butch

Old 07-09-2010 | 04:23 PM
TheJimer
|
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by hotshoe
Great info. It seems like all your hard work and dollars are paying off.

Can you tell me what you are using for the heat reflective material under the seat and where you bought it? I ordered the Alaskan Sheepskin Butt Pad and Pillion pad on Wed. but I would also like to get rid of some of the heat that comes up through the seat.

Thanks again
I purchased some ¼” Thermo Barrier from Ace Hardware; it is sold by the foot so I cut it to size and applied with some double sided 3-M tape. This is the same product that is commonly found inside air conditioners and furnaces. It looks like bubble wrap with tin foil on each side.

Jim

Attached Thumbnails TG Comprehensive Hot Weather Test Report-100_0234.jpg  
Old 07-09-2010 | 04:33 PM
TheJimer
|
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Boom
Ditto here. Since the seat bottom is uneven with ribs, I wonder how you can apply anything to it? I also have my PC V under the seat and wouldn't want anything conductive or pressing against it. There is a frame plate adjacent from the rear cylinder that could retain a lot of heat. I wonder if that is what Jim is talking about?
I still can't understand why they would put a hole in the cup of the seat. Certainly isn't a vent for cool air! Unless it's for flatulent riders!!
One of the very first mods I did after purchasing my TG was to replace my stock seat with a Mustang seat and I can’t remember if there a difference between to metal pan of the two seats. The Mustang seat has two ¾” bumpers on either side of the seat pan, this keeps the pan from touching any components; I cut the Thermo Barrier to recess below the bumpers.

Jim

Attached Thumbnails TG Comprehensive Hot Weather Test Report-100_0234.jpg  
Old 07-09-2010 | 05:18 PM
hotshoe
Cruiser

Thanks for the info Jimer. I'll pull my stock seat and see if I can use the same insulating material. At this point my problem with the seat is at about 200 miles the heat coming up through the seat makes it feel like I'm riding a 2X4. I hope with your mod and the Alaskan Sheepskin butt pad I can do my normal 300 to 400 mile day rides with comfort. I know that with my inclining age the biological decline of the natural butt pad has about gone away. In plain language, I'm losing my ****.

Thanks for the help

Old 07-09-2010 | 07:37 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member

Wow Jim great post! Sure sounds like you have the heat critter good and licked. I've been riding in everything from 40 degrees to mid 80's so far this trip. The gas quality I've been dealing with is the same crummy stuff you have to live with. There had been a couple times while going up some good sized hills on I90 at 80 mph with about a 30 mph head wind I had some pinging. My dad and I both run into one hill that the poor Triglide had its tongue hanging out by the time it reached to the top and 80 mph required WOT. When we left for the trip we both took 2 bottles of the 108 + that Coupe uses, found it works like a charm even when the only gas we found was 89 octane. The highest oil temp I saw was today and it was 240 after getting caught in a traffic jam which we left behind by taking to the berm much to the surprise of some of our fellow motorist, it was my dads idea so I'm innocent officer. Right now I'm still flipping the coin between the TW6-6 and the Head Quarters HQ500 cams.

Old 07-09-2010 | 07:50 PM
oldmsocko
Club Member

Jim: GREAT report. There was never a doubt in my mind that you would detail the frame while you had it in the air. I know I sure would of. Mike

Old 07-10-2010 | 10:24 AM
TheJimer
|
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by msocko3
Wow Jim great post! Sure sounds like you have the heat critter good and licked. I've been riding in everything from 40 degrees to mid 80's so far this trip. The gas quality I've been dealing with is the same crummy stuff you have to live with. There had been a couple times while going up some good sized hills on I90 at 80 mph with about a 30 mph head wind I had some pinging. My dad and I both run into one hill that the poor Triglide had its tongue hanging out by the time it reached to the top and 80 mph required WOT. When we left for the trip we both took 2 bottles of the 108 + that Coupe uses, found it works like a charm even when the only gas we found was 89 octane. The highest oil temp I saw was today and it was 240 after getting caught in a traffic jam which we left behind by taking to the berm much to the surprise of some of our fellow motorist, it was my dads idea so I'm innocent officer. Right now I'm still flipping the coin between the TW6-6 and the Head Quarters HQ500 cams.
Thanks Mike, right about now I’m feeling pretty pleased with the results of my heat reduction efforts! My goal was a max EOT of 250* on a 110* day so I am absolutely euphoric that I managed to indicate a max EOT of 240* on a 118* day.

I think that this bodes well for folks that operate in cooler climates!

I hope that you and your Dad are keeping some comparison notes as to heat and performance of the two TG’s!

Stay safe out there!

Jim

Old 07-11-2010 | 05:42 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by TheJimer
I hope that you and your Dad are keeping some comparison notes as to heat and performance of the two TG’s!
While on our trip to and from SD we found heat was identical between both, performance was pretty much the same. The only difference we found was my dad would get sometimes 2 mpg better than me, could be the way he rides vs the way I ride. I'm more the twist it and get moving type.

Old 07-11-2010 | 07:13 AM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member

Wife and I went on a 300 mile ride yesterday, 89 degree weather. Trying to get 1000 miles before next Wednesday's service. We're headed for Billings MT for a BK convention Thursday....anyway.
The ride was nice, heat not too bad, I can live with it, but with all you guys making it easier for us not to have to...I will do some hard studying for winter mods. I think I'm going to go with the Fuel Moto header, PC-V, and performance exhaust...my real concern is power.
While on the ride yesterday I was very disappointed with the power of the TG...on the 2 lanes she didn't do too bad, on the interstate she fell on her face HARD!...sometimes WOT and not much more than 65/70 MPH on a slight grade..not a large hill..WOW...pretty bad. The past two trikes I've owned were Honda GL1800 Gold wings and they had enough power...
OK, OK don't get in a tizzy, I love the TG, no I don't want another wing, no I don't expect the same power of the flat six on my TG...but it sure needs something. So my question is, will the Woods cam wake it up? not stump pulling power but a little more for two up riding, able to maintain a reasonable speed on the interstate pulling a grade...and we'll be pulling a Bushtec trailer...I can't get anything done before our trip, looking for this winter modifications.

Old 07-11-2010 | 04:17 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Casper
my real concern is power.
While on the ride yesterday I was very disappointed with the power of the TG...on the 2 lanes she didn't do too bad, on the interstate she fell on her face HARD!...sometimes WOT and not much more than 65/70 MPH on a slight grade..not a large hill..WOW...pretty bad. The past two trikes I've owned were Honda GL1800 Gold wings and they had enough power...
OK, OK don't get in a tizzy, I love the TG, no I don't want another wing, no I don't expect the same power of the flat six on my TG...but it sure needs something. So my question is, will the Woods cam wake it up? not stump pulling power but a little more for two up riding, able to maintain a reasonable speed on the interstate pulling a grade...and we'll be pulling a Bushtec trailer...I can't get anything done before our trip, looking for this winter modifications.
Yep the power was the pits for me. I took delivery of my 10 last August and between my dad and I riding it I got my 1k service done before a trip to TN with the wife. The trip to TN was an eye opener for sure, I was pissed by the time I got back. My 1st tank netted me 21.6 mpg going 72 mph on the freeway, my best for the whole next couple months of 2009 was 27 mpg. While traveling through KY I had my cruise set at 75 and that turkey couldn't even make it up a dang hill without dropping 5 - 10 mph and making me down shift. I made several calls to HD customer service letting them know how unhappy I was. I'm happy with the TG in general but very disappointed in how HD sold the customer a under powered toaster oven. Over the winter I put in the SE255 cams and the Jackpot headpipe and used the SEST to map it. The fuel mileage is much improved along with the power. I did however find its limit on my trip to SD this past week. There was a couple hills we had to go up along with about a 30 mph head wind and 80 mph was all the old girl wanted to do, and she wasn't happy about that. The trip to SD was just myself on the Trike so I could imagine what it would be like with the wife on back. I truly think they should be putting the 110 in the TG instead of the 103. Of course the 110 sucks wind in stock form but a set of cams and a good tuning wakes it up quite nicely.

Quick Reply: TG Comprehensive Hot Weather Test Report