Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Trike steering question

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 11:40 AM
BCguy
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trike steering question

I've never ridden a trike before but may have an opportunity coming up so I'm going to ask what may seem to be a silly question:

How do they steer at speed? I'm a pretty experienced bike rider and so counter steering is second nature to me but I don't know if a trike would handle the same way as a bike since it doesn't lean into turns. Is it more like a car? Thanks.

Old 07-01-2010, 01:27 PM
TheJimer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No counter steer necessary on a trike. Steering is push & pull on the handle bars. There is an adjustment learning period curve. As a new triker, you will want to plan your turns in advance; by that I mean if you are making a right turn, you will want to be in the proper gear before entering the turn because it will be difficult to clutch and push at the same time. The opposite is true with speed and breaking in a left hand turn. After some experience you find that you are able to perform both of these tasks while turning.

You don’t say if the trike is a TG or a conversion; the strong suit of a TG is its handling but it may take 100 miles or more until you’re comfortable. Big thing with any trike…don’t put your feet down!

Hope this was of some help!

Jim

Old 07-01-2010, 02:30 PM
BCguy
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Helpful, yeah, thanks. I think it will be very difficult for me to adjust my ingrained habits after riding 2 wheelers for over 40 years. If this experience comes to pass I will have to be very careful and conscious of what I'm doing or I might wind up in the tullies.

Old 07-01-2010, 02:42 PM
TheJimer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BCguy
Helpful, yeah, thanks. I think it will be very difficult for me to adjust my ingrained habits after riding 2 wheelers for over 40 years. If this experience comes to pass I will have to be very careful and conscious of what I'm doing or I might wind up in the tullies.
I too rode 2-wheelers for over 40 years and I was able to make the adjustment to 3-wheels, after the mostly self taught learning curve I now love my TG!

Good luck,
Jim

Old 07-01-2010, 04:09 PM
Keystone
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

30 years on two wheels. Took me maybe 500 miles to get used to riding a Trike.

Old 07-01-2010, 07:45 PM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Many years on two wheels and was able to convert very easily.

Old 07-01-2010, 10:19 PM
coupe55
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I learned from ATV's

Originally Posted by BCguy

The steering technique, close but not exactly the same and not to put my foot down.

Most all of us advise find that big empty parking lot and practice until you have the feel for it and then hit the rural less traffic roads for awhile. You will pick up on it faster than you think! This is for the Tri Glide, don't know about other Tikes or conversions.

Thing is you should have the handling down automatic reflex before you hit the Interstate and city riding. The same idiots that put us into emergency situations on motorcycles are after you on that trike. Being familiar with all the controls and the heads up eyes moving being aware type riding is the same with the Trike.

You should not be concentrating on handling when you hit the freeways!

Old 07-02-2010, 04:06 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

I switch between 2 and 3 wheels, just have to keep in mind which one your riding.