Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Jagg oil cooler piggyback

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 04:30 PM
overkill
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jagg oil cooler piggyback

I am going to install a 10 row Jagg oil cooler with the Big Sky Fans on my '10 Tri Glide. I have fabricated a bracket so I could mount it on the cross member above the regulator. Plenty of room for the fans. My question is is it feasible to install the Jagg cooler in-line with the existing oil cooler or would this be too much resistance to flow? The Jagg cooler appears to have excellent flow characteristics. Any input?

Old 06-24-2010, 05:12 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

I don't know what the pressure drop is across the Harley oil cooler, I know there have been folks who use 2 Jagg 10 row coolers. Maybe someone will check in who knows what the drop is across the Harley cooler.

Old 06-24-2010, 09:08 PM
coupe55
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Try It!

If your are mounting the Jagg that high and had the room I would hose it up and try it. Note the oil pressure you are running with just the Harley then hose it up and check your pressue.

If it is drastic low you can shut it off real quick! I also have heard of the some people running two Jaggs but now the new Ultra Cool with the Fan negates the us of that set up.

I wish that rig had been available when I upgraded the oil cooler!

Old 06-24-2010, 11:34 PM
overkill
Intermediate

I will give it a try as soon as my mounting bracket gets back from powdercoat. The Ultacool is a bit pricey and looks bulky. I think my setup will be less noticeable and maybe just as effective. Thanks for the input

Old 06-25-2010, 07:18 AM
coupe55
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Pricy

Originally Posted by overkill
I will give it a try as soon as my mounting bracket gets back from powdercoat. The Ultacool is a bit pricey and looks bulky. I think my setup will be less noticeable and maybe just as effective. Thanks for the input
I am running the Jagg 10 with the Arizona Fan Kit, it works for me and I am satisfied with it. However even using both fans you only hit about 50% of that cooler. You would have to use two fan kits to get air on all the Jagg 10.

The Ultra Cool has a dedicated fan that cover's 100% of the cooler surface area.

Pricy but when you start doubling up on Jagg 10's you start getting into the Ultra Cool price range.

I like the Jagg 10, free flowing! I did not lose an ounce of oil pressure and it cooled my Tri down for my riding conditions.

I guess if I lived on concrete and spent more time in traffic I might opt for the Ultra but I feel you will be satisfied with the Jagg 10 and the Arizona Fan kit. As you say it is not noticeably larger than the OEM Cooler.

Do you intend to run a parade fan also? There is an Arizona with an extra female ACC plug. This gives you a place to plug your Parade fan and makes the wiring simple. I run both off the ACC switch with no problem.

The Lanale Fan still has an on/off switch when you don't want to run it when you hit the ACC switch!

Old 06-25-2010, 10:58 AM
overkill
Intermediate

I have a Harley parade fan installed and run it off the ACC switch also. Helps in stop and go city traffic.

Old 06-25-2010, 01:13 PM
Road Warrior
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

If you are running all this through the standard HD wafer adapter....it should have a cartridge thermostat in it that will by-pass if the cooler loop is too restrictive. The cartridge stats that I have some experience with will open and go into by-pass if the cooler becomes too restrictive, or totally clogged. Of course...you are by-passing your cooler loop, but you should not burn the motor down if that should happen.

I am sure there is a point of diminishing returns in the game here that limits the efficiency of the cooler loop, if you overkill.

If you mount coolers too high on a TC....you can have drain-back issues. The wafer design allows any oil left standing in a cooler above the tank to drain back into the tank. Yes....I am aware of the anti-drain-back valve in the filter, but if you study the wafer design and actually take it apart and look, you will see there is a direct path from the cooler right back into the engine. That is why all the HD coolers are chin-mounted to prevent drain-back. If all the oil drains back into the motor.....you will develop a dry start condition while the pump fills all the voids and builds the necessary pressure to extinguish the oil warning lamp. Keep an eye on this.

Old 06-25-2010, 04:32 PM
TheJimer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by overkill
Could yoou please post a picture of your install when finished? The Ultra-Cooler is a 16 row cooler plus a fan. Your stock cooler + a Jagg will also get to 16 rows of cooling but I'm wondering about a loss in preasure with thar set-up?

Jim

Old 06-25-2010, 07:20 PM
overkill
Intermediate

I will post pics as soon as I get it installed. I am installing the Jagg just above the voltage regulator, about the same height as the Ultracool so I should not have any more of a problem with drain back than with an Ultracool. Or so I believe
I really like the idea of 2 Jagg 10 row coolers (with fans). Now that's overkill!