Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Tri-Glide '09 vs '10

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 05:41 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by coupe55
I would also like to know if the Cams are the same for the 09 and the 10!
The cam is the same for 09 & 10.

Old 06-08-2010, 05:45 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by TheBobs
For the record, mine runs very strong until it gets hot, specifically May through October here...
Heat is the enemy of power, an overly hot engine will not produce the same power as a cooler engine. Mine used to run pretty decent when dead cold then become a dog when it heated up.

Old 06-08-2010, 08:18 AM
coupe55
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Ditto

Originally Posted by msocko3
Heat is the enemy of power, an overly hot engine will not produce the same power as a cooler engine. Mine used to run pretty decent when dead cold then become a dog when it heated up.

My Tri is more responsive and runs better after cooling it off and getting a little more fuel to it. I don't have an 09 to compare it to but am quite satisfied with the performance now, was really a dog last year and a big disappointment. I have it so close now I am leary of doing anymore to it, going with if it ain't broke don't fix it theory.

Do you feel the 255 Cams made enough of a difference to warrant the change over?

Getting close to the 5000 mile check up, was going to go with the Syn3 but have decided to stay with the Amsoil, I really believe in this stuff and am afraid to change off from something that has worked so well for so many years.

The motorcycle industry needs to come up with some other way of meeting the new EPA Standards. Running these air cooled engines that lean and sticking the Cats on them ruin an otherwise good engine. I have seen V12 Air Cooled engines run in boxed in engine compartments in Tanks and military vehicles, "in desert heat". As long as they had enough fan to move some air around them and enough fuel to keep from running lean they performed well. I believe the basic engine design is still strong, not the most efficient engine out there but would perform as it should if the EPA was not killing it.

I don't think you can just copy the watercooled automotive industry when trying to meet EPA Air Standards with an Air Cooled Engine. One would think the engineers could come up with some other way of meeting the standards than leaning out the AFR and using Catalytic Converters.

Sticking any obstruction in that headpipe kills Harley's signature sound! The SE-Slipons barely changed the tone. Most of us that buy trikes are in an age group where that is not as important but if we would be honest I still do not want mine to sound like a 250 Honda. You also kill the power as stated so many time before. It seems it would be in Harley's vested interest to come up with another way of meeting those EPA Standards. The motorcycle industry as a whole needs to do some research in this area but Harley has more to lose in sales if they can't get back to what makes a Harley a Harley!

EPA stated in the regulations that they are not specifically mandating that you have to install cats. As long as you meet the standard they don't care how you do it. The engineer that figures out how to do it without the CATS will hit the lottery with that patent.

Old 06-08-2010, 02:15 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by coupe55
My Tri is more responsive and runs better after cooling it off and getting a little more fuel to it. I don't have an 09 to compare it to but am quite satisfied with the performance now, was really a dog last year and a big disappointment. I have it so close now I am leary of doing anymore to it, going with if it ain't broke don't fix it theory.

Do you feel the 255 Cams made enough of a difference to warrant the change over?

Getting close to the 5000 mile check up, was going to go with the Syn3 but have decided to stay with the Amsoil, I really believe in this stuff and am afraid to change off from something that has worked so well for so many years.
I've been pretty happy with the 255 cams they pull quite hard on the bottom end, didn't have any problem lighting the back tires up on the 1 - 2 shift. The only issue I have with them is they peeter out a touch past 4,000 rpm. I noticed that when I passed a car and it was pulling real well then kind of leveled off looked at the tach and I was around 4,300 rpm. I'm going to be swapping them out this winter and putting in either the Woods TW6-6 or Head Quarters HQ500. If your happy with the way it runs you might just ride the snot out of it, I'm one of those more is better types.

If I was you I'd stick with the Amsoil vs the Syn3. I'm running Syn3 right now only because I had a case laying around still. I'll be getting with someone on Amsoil pricing when I get close to needing more. I'm fixed good for oil on my 06 Ultra because I run Mobile 1 15w-50 in it, I have 10 5qt jugs which will last a while. I was going to run that in the Trike until Walmart stopped carrying it.

Old 06-08-2010, 06:59 PM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I am very happy like M3 with the SE 255 cams. They pull real hard down low. I will also though probably go with a different cam this winter. I am a torgue freak. Would also like a little more power at a higher rpm.