Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Lookin into a Tri Glide

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 11:13 AM
CWDoc115
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Lookin into a Tri Glide

I am at a point in my life that I can actually afford a TG! Are there still issues with heat & the trunk leaking or has MoCo fixed these issues?
Also, when do the '11s come out? Trying to decide whether or not to with a 2010 or wait for the 2011s... I'm kind of like a kid in a candy shop right now....

Old 05-28-2010, 11:24 AM
Boom
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CWDoc115
I am at a point in my life that I can actually afford a TG! Are there still issues with heat & the trunk leaking or has MoCo fixed these issues?
Also, when do the '11s come out? Trying to decide whether or not to with a 2010 or wait for the 2011s... I'm kind of like a kid in a candy shop right now....
Heat issues-yes. Trunk leak-no. The 11s should be hitting dealers August (at least here in N. Va.) I had to wait 5 months after ordering my '10 TG Ultra. My color didn't come in 'til Veterans Day '10. If you could wait, I think it would be interesting to see what, if any, changes are happening to the TG.

Old 05-28-2010, 11:28 AM
Bubba49
Road Master
Received 431 Likes on 142 Posts

CWDoc,

I know I'll hear a ration of grief for the opinions I'm about to express from some of the members here, but you asked.

I bought two TGs (2009s), one for myself and one for my Uncle. I rode mine from Jan 09 until Sep 09 and then I traded it in on an 09 Deluxe. I had over 7000 miles on my TG at trade. The reason I traded was all of the mechanical problems it had. The trunk leaked from day 1 until I traded (had it in the shop 5 times to fix). The monster ran so hot I had to stop every rest area on the interstate to let it cool down (even with a powercommander V installed and synthetic oil). The kicker was when the reverse module shorted out in the rain and put the trike into reverse while I was doing 11MPH. It almost threw me through the windshield before I could shut it down. I traded it the next day and got a Deluxe (now have a sidecar installed on it). Now, don't get me wrong, I loved the handling and comfort of the TG, but the above issues were unbearable.

My Uncle had and still has everyone of the issues I mentioned above except the reverse problem. He is taking his trike back to the dealer to have them replace all of the hardware in the trunk because it has rusted out. He is also looking at having the brakes replaced. He just made a road trip to the mountains of Cherokee two weeks ago and he said the heat from the engine was almost unbearable.

For my money, if I was going to do it again, I'd get a trike conversion kit installed on a touring bike (Motortrike, Champion, California Sidecar, etc...). I could have saved thousands of dollars by going that route instead of the one I chose.

Bubba

Old 05-28-2010, 11:40 AM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I will not disgree with other posts on this forum. I can tell you that I am very happy with my 2009 TG. I did have a trunk leak issue but that has been fixed. If you want a TG I would not wait for the 2011 if you are satified with the 2010. If you wait the MOCO could make changes to the 2011 that yoy would not like just like the issues between the 09 and 10. Any new HD Touring bike that you buy now will have heat issues because of EPA Requirements.

I can tell you that I had done alot of research into trike conversions and believe me there is nothing wrong with them. Are they cheaper. NO they are not. Go buy an new Ultra Classic for 23,000 and put a DFT trike conversion on it for 18,000 and you will have more invested in it than with the TG and the warranty will be void.

Last edited by oldmsocko; 05-28-2010 at 11:46 AM.
Old 05-28-2010, 01:36 PM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

Bikes will be announced and available at many dealers by mid to late July.
Remember that HD terminated it's relationship with Lehman so who knows what's in store for the 2011 trikes.

Old 05-28-2010, 03:20 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

I took delivery of my 2010 in August of 09 within short order I found out it was hotter than a popcorn fart. My wife and I took a 1600 mile trip and roasted the whole way. To me the power was lackluster, my dads 09 had more power than my 10 and ran cooler. The trunk only leaked 1 time and then quit and hasn't leaked since. Over the winter I installed a Jagg 10 row oil cooler, Fulemoto Jackpot head pipe and SE255 cams. I mapped it with the SEST. So far this year it is running much cooler and the power it way better. The addition of the Jackpot head pipe got rid of the catalytic converter which was cooking my right leg. Like my dad I also looked into converting a 2 wheel Ultra to a trike and found I would have more in it than what a Triglide cost. Should you wait for a 2011? Roll the dice whether the MoCo will improve on the 10 or make it worse.

Old 05-28-2010, 04:16 PM
SEAlaskan
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I took delivery of my '09 Tri-Glide in Dec. 2008 and had only two real issues which were the trunk leaking and the still sqeeky rear brakes. Some day I'll replace the rear brakes but for now I'll continue to enjoy the ride. It's fast and quick maneuvering.

Butch

Old 05-28-2010, 09:09 PM
kellgore
Novice

Wouldn't it make sense to wait and see what the 2011 model has to offer?

I mean, there's probably going to be a few 2010 Tri-Glide's kickin' around somewhere if you dont like the 2011, right?

Just my 2 cents.

Old 05-29-2010, 05:24 AM
Baddogisme
Intermediate

i would wait what the heck we got to gamble when buying any harley now dont we?

Old 05-29-2010, 05:46 AM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

You know the "OLD" saying, "Wait Broke The Wagon".

Quick Reply: Lookin into a Tri Glide