Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Lookin into a Tri Glide

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 05:33 AM
Stoood
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Heat Issues, Price for Moto-Trike Conversion WITH Ultra

I've got a new HD Touring Oil Cooler, still in the box, that I bought for my trike. But with the Baker +1 baffled oil pan (using 5 qts. plain 20W50 oil), I really don't seem to need it. Granted, I'm running Tru-Duals, and than takes a good deal of heat away, but last week I rode 2 days w/ temps in the 90's (WITH 9.8 to 1 compression), and the highest temp I ever saw on my digital oil temp gauge was 224 F. Last November, when I'd just bought the rig, I rode it 400 miles with the block stock 96ci twin cam (Very Underpowered), and the stock rear "Y-Pipe" under the seat roasted my chestnuts so badly it was unbearable, and this was in November temperatures in Iowa! Junking the stock pipes made a HUGE difference, the baffled, finned, 5 Qt. oil pan helped a lot too ($499 at J&P, and if you buy one, throw the gasket away and get a good one from Harley). Haven't really needed the oil cooler and fan, but I haven't been stuck in a Chicago traffic jam yet. My "Hot Rod" Springer has a higher compression engine, and on it I added a small Jagg oil cooler and synthetic oil, and it stays well below 200 most of the time. Oh, and while I'm yacking, the Total price for the New Ultra AND the Moto-Trike Conversion (with reverse, hitch, etc) was $32,500. I piddled away another $7000 on the huge clutch, compensator, engine upgrades, front suspention, 30 t pulley, cams, etc. And, speaking of cams, in the past 2 years I've ran BOTH the SE255's, and the SE204's (with 1.7 rockers). IF you're spending the money, and you want Pulling power AND Passing power, pay the $175 for the SE 1.725 to 1 rockers (adds .031 lift for .539 total, increasing torque output) and the get the SE204 cams instead of the SE255. The difference between the wimpy SE255's, and the SE204's with the 1.7 rockers is HUGE. Low end is still very good, and the smile on your face when you blow past your Buddie's CVO will be PRICELESS.

Attached Thumbnails Lookin into a Tri Glide-baker-plus-1-oil-pan-a.jpg   Lookin into a Tri Glide-jagg-verticle-install-rear-view.jpg  

Last edited by Stoood; 06-01-2010 at 07:38 AM. Reason: I was off one decimal point in calculating cam lift!
Old 06-01-2010, 10:35 AM
grimm
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my opinion is mixed...i went with a conversion because i had no stock options. harley hadn't jumped on this bandwagon yet. i have a Frankenstein and love it. have had no issues, structural or mechanical, since converting mine back in '06. i love the fact that it doesn't look like every other one out there, but i'm somewhat of an attention hound especially with the ladies. haha...

AGAINST-you already have the bike. there are many conversion kits that are excellent products. the options for looks, handling and performance are limitless. you will have something different than anything else on the road. you won't have to deal with all the TG BS that all my friends here have had with theirs.

on the other hand...

For the TG-most of the guys here have done all the trial and error work to fix most of the problems with the TG so you have a good basis of knowledge when you decide to address that, and you WILL address that. haha. the stock engine will require some internal work. i had to do some major changes to get my 88" slug running. i have gear driven Andrews cams, power commander and just recently punched it out to 95". thing is a monster now, but there was a lot required to get it that way. the TG already has a larger engine and will require less performance modws. another pro is that you will have the warranty (until you decide to start modifying the engine). overall it would be cheaper to get a TG than convert yours. lastly, i would imagine that resale value would be better than with a conversion, but i have no confirmation on that. just a hunch...

in the end, it's your call. i don't think that either is a bad option so it's a case of win-win. just be prepared to address problems with either because things can and will happen.

grimm

Old 06-01-2010, 11:37 AM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by grimm
my opinion is mixed...i went with a conversion because i had no stock options. harley hadn't jumped on this bandwagon yet. i have a Frankenstein and love it. have had no issues, structural or mechanical, since converting mine back in '06. i love the fact that it doesn't look like every other one out there, but i'm somewhat of an attention hound especially with the ladies. haha...

AGAINST-you already have the bike. there are many conversion kits that are excellent products. the options for looks, handling and performance are limitless. you will have something different than anything else on the road. you won't have to deal with all the TG BS that all my friends here have had with theirs.

on the other hand...

For the TG-most of the guys here have done all the trial and error work to fix most of the problems with the TG so you have a good basis of knowledge when you decide to address that, and you WILL address that. haha. the stock engine will require some internal work. i had to do some major changes to get my 88" slug running. i have gear driven Andrews cams, power commander and just recently punched it out to 95". thing is a monster now, but there was a lot required to get it that way. the TG already has a larger engine and will require less performance modws. another pro is that you will have the warranty (until you decide to start modifying the engine). overall it would be cheaper to get a TG than convert yours. lastly, i would imagine that resale value would be better than with a conversion, but i have no confirmation on that. just a hunch...

in the end, it's your call. i don't think that either is a bad option so it's a case of win-win. just be prepared to address problems with either because things can and will happen.

grimm
All very good points Grimm. One other thing, I have no idea about the insurance folks carry. My insurance carrier stated that insurance for the TG is cheaper than for a conversion. I have no idea whether that is true or not.