Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Lookin into a Tri Glide

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 06:01 AM
zoood
Former Sponsor
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by CWDoc115
I am at a point in my life that I can actually afford a TG! Are there still issues with heat & the trunk leaking or has MoCo fixed these issues?
Also, when do the '11s come out? Trying to decide whether or not to with a 2010 or wait for the 2011s... I'm kind of like a kid in a candy shop right now....
I see you already have an 07. Your half ways there. No need to get a new scoot. Ive managed to get the DFT rear and added it myself. I didnt care for their body style. So I added what thought would look good. It's perfect for me. I even removed my engine and added a 113 Ultima. My cost is around 23,000. Im way ahead of the game.

zoood/RJ

Old 05-29-2010, 04:25 PM
Road Warrior
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Let me make this disclaimer right out the gate...I have owned Harleys for over 20-years and I would never own another make. I love this rattling, noisy, toaster-oven and would never replace it with another brand.

It's your money Doc and you will eventually read all the pro's-n-con's. All I can tell you for sure is that Harley has been "improving" on the Twin Cam motor since it was introduced....and they STILL are....if that tells you anything. I have the right to bitch (if I wanted too). I was a victim of the TC cam bearing issue right out the gate, even in the EVO (yes...they had a problem with those later model EVO cam bearings also), so I am not talking about crap I have read from some forum. I have experienced it all.

You can be assured that MOCO will be "improving" on the TG for years to come also and I have had about all the "improvements" from the MOCO that I can stand. If I had a good two-wheeler...I'd kit it. Harley dumping Lehman and doing their own assembly to improve the product is a fantasy. I am still finding glued-in fasteners and loose bolts on mine and it left the plant almost 10-years ago. You can kit the bike you have now for less than you think.

Old 05-29-2010, 06:03 PM
Bubba49
Road Master
Received 431 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by 1550vt
Let me make this disclaimer right out the gate...I have owned Harleys for over 20-years and I would never own another make. I love this rattling, noisy, toaster-oven and would never replace it with another brand.

It's your money Doc and you will eventually read all the pro's-n-con's. All I can tell you for sure is that Harley has been "improving" on the Twin Cam motor since it was introduced....and they STILL are....if that tells you anything. I have the right to bitch (if I wanted too). I was a victim of the TC cam bearing issue right out the gate, even in the EVO (yes...they had a problem with those later model EVO cam bearings also), so I am not talking about crap I have read from some forum. I have experienced it all.

You can be assured that MOCO will be "improving" on the TG for years to come also and I have had about all the "improvements" from the MOCO that I can stand. If I had a good two-wheeler...I'd kit it. Harley dumping Lehman and doing their own assembly to improve the product is a fantasy. I am still finding glued-in fasteners and loose bolts on mine and it left the plant almost 10-years ago. You can kit the bike you have now for less than you think.
Doc,

1550/VT makes exactly the point I was trying to bring up in my original post. I bought two of those beasts for a pretty penny, 35K and 41K respectively, and both weren't worth that kind of money. The problems I had with the one I traded and the problems my Uncle continues to have with the other one are unsatisfactory for the money the MOCO charges. I truly wish I had bought a pair of trike conversion kits instead of those two TG's. Here's just a partial list of my complaints about the TG:

1) Trunk leaked on both TG's and continued to leak after four or five fixes. So bad on my Uncle's that it has corroded all hardware in the trunk.
The trunk would also pop open on it's own while we were riding down the road.
2) The engine on both trikes ran up to 320 degrees in the spring and summer. Even with synthetic oil and a power commander V. Got so bad on mine that I bought a pair of knee high chaps to keep from burning my calves.
3) Reverse shorted out in rain due to a cracked reverse module and actually went into reverse on me while doing 11MPH (almost threw me through winshield).
4) Had to have muffler/pipe bracket replaced on both trikes because muffler came loose while riding.
5) Parking brake would not hold trike and had to be adjusted at least once every two weeks until I had em check the manual and do an adjustment that required both tires to be removed.
6) Brakes squealed from day two and did not provide adequate stopping power for the trike.
7) Brushed aluminum finish on rear rims could not be cleaned after getting water spots on it (still looks nasty on my Uncle's trike).
8) More loose fasteners and hardware than you could shake a stick at from day one.

With the above said, I still loved the ride of a trike, but I'm no mechanic, nor do I want to spend 1/2 of my week at a HD dealer.

By the way, spoke to my Uncle today, and he said to let you know that he is willing to sell his trike today (still has three 1/2 years of warranty (extended)). PM me if you're interested and I'll give you his phone number.

Bubba

Old 05-29-2010, 08:23 PM
Road Warrior

Bubba...hearing from people that have endured what you have is the very reason I don't own a TG at this very moment. My trike is getting some age on it and I was slobbering-at-the-mouth to get on down to the Dealership and purchase one. I plan to run my aging conversion right on out for a while. I don't have a push-button reverse....but mine doesn't jump into reverse after a heavy dew either!

Old 05-29-2010, 08:44 PM
CWDoc115
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WOW! Did I open a jumbo can of worms.... So the next step in this line of questions would be what kit to use, and in all honesty, me + tools + pretty much anything else = an unnatural disaster waiting to happen... How long would this take the average wrench to complete? My thanks to all for the input.

Old 05-30-2010, 06:32 AM
Road Warrior

Doc...you did ask and yep...you got some opinions. Most of the TG owners cherish their rides and there are some good ones out there...I am sure. The major defense used for the TG issues is the first year model syndrome. Harley has had that syndrome (as well as other people who make stuff) since they have been in business. They started with a marginal EVO back in the early 80's and eventually worked it on out to a pretty good motor...then started all over again with the Twin Cam. Same thing with the TG. They obviously made some serious mistakes and may very well have shaken most of them out by now...I don't know.

You will receive as much, or more advice on a kit. You can keep it simple with the straight axle type or go with the independent suspension models and spend as much money as you desire.
I'd search the threads for opinions on kits and make-up my own mind.

Old 05-30-2010, 02:08 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Bubba49
Doc,

1550/VT makes exactly the point I was trying to bring up in my original post. I bought two of those beasts for a pretty penny, 35K and 41K respectively, and both weren't worth that kind of money. The problems I had with the one I traded and the problems my Uncle continues to have with the other one are unsatisfactory for the money the MOCO charges. I truly wish I had bought a pair of trike conversion kits instead of those two TG's. Here's just a partial list of my complaints about the TG:

1) Trunk leaked on both TG's and continued to leak after four or five fixes. So bad on my Uncle's that it has corroded all hardware in the trunk.
The trunk would also pop open on it's own while we were riding down the road.
2) The engine on both trikes ran up to 320 degrees in the spring and summer. Even with synthetic oil and a power commander V. Got so bad on mine that I bought a pair of knee high chaps to keep from burning my calves.
3) Reverse shorted out in rain due to a cracked reverse module and actually went into reverse on me while doing 11MPH (almost threw me through winshield).
4) Had to have muffler/pipe bracket replaced on both trikes because muffler came loose while riding.
5) Parking brake would not hold trike and had to be adjusted at least once every two weeks until I had em check the manual and do an adjustment that required both tires to be removed.
6) Brakes squealed from day two and did not provide adequate stopping power for the trike.
7) Brushed aluminum finish on rear rims could not be cleaned after getting water spots on it (still looks nasty on my Uncle's trike).
8) More loose fasteners and hardware than you could shake a stick at from day one.

With the above said, I still loved the ride of a trike, but I'm no mechanic, nor do I want to spend 1/2 of my week at a HD dealer.
I have to ask, is your servicing dealer this incompetent. Most of these issues are easy enough to resolve. The trunk leak issue has been addressed with a new gasket, if it still leaks then there is a problem with either the way they are installing it or the way they or or are not adjusting the trunk. By your reference of it popping open I believe there is an adjustment problem. I do have to say my dads 09 Triglide trunk leaked by the bucket full for several months until the 2010 gasket was released by the MoCo. Once the dealer installed it he hasn't had a leak since. I do have to say if the hardware is corroded it speaks to lack of care on the owners part. My dad dealt with gallons of water passing through and into his trunk and you can't tell the difference between his 1 year old trunk and a new one. The trick is he didn't leave the liner in there and he would dry all the water out and let the trunk sit open to dry before closing it.

If you saw 320 degree oil temp with a PCV and synthetic oil then you had something going on. I just finished installing SE255 cams, a Jagg 10 row oil cooler and using a SEST to map with on both my 2010 and my dads 2009. His 09 runs cool with the highest temp of 220 degrees. I installed the Fulemoto Jackpot head pipe on my 2010 to be rid of the catalytic converter. My highest oil temp to date has also been 220 degrees. The SE255 cam is a emissions friendly cam so you can't credit the cam for cooling things down. The credit goes to tuning and oil cooler, its not rocket science, its an air cooled engine which does emit a certain amount of heat.

Brakes, I agree they suck! They squeal like a hog and I'm sure once Lyndall gets on the ball that will be solved. Parking brake, no complaints from me or my dad. You set the parking brake and it won't roll, it works as it should.

The brushed aluminium rims, 2 words, Never Dull. I use it and it works like a charm, just requires some elbow grease.

Loose fasteners, you bet, blame Lehman for that one. Every loose fastener I found has been one the hacks at Lehman has touched. Add in the poor paint quality on parts they painted and I can understand why the MoCo wants to row their own boat.

The Triglide isn't perfect, nothing in life truly is. I can say if I had decided to Trike my 06 Ultra for example I'd have more in it than a Triglide cost. I have $31,000 in the 06 Ultra already then add in say $18,000 more to have someone install a DFT kit and I would have $49,000 in my kitted Ultra. I even looked at buying a used 06 Ultra which I believe I could have gotten for $15,000 and then add $18,000 for the DFT kit I'd have $33,000 in a bike with a 88" engine with no reverse, no warranty.

Old 05-30-2010, 02:09 PM
Stoood
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Thumbs up A Perfect Memorial Day, & My Perfect Trike . . .

Mom was teaching 1st through 8th grades in a one room school house near Ryan, Ia. as Dad boarded a plane to resume the last leg of his Army Air Corp, Asiatic Pacific Theater Tour. Normal broadcasting on WMT was interupted to announce that the US had just dropped an Atomic Bomb on Hiroshima, a "military base". Dad somehow got word back to home that "the war's about over, go ahead and tell Bohlken Motors to order a 61ci overhead when they're available". It would be a long wait. When it arrived it was 1946, and Dad often commented on their excitement upon seeing the red paint through the slats of the crate at the Scotch Grove Train Depot, as they unloaded the first new vehicle he'd ever owned (it replaced the 1929 JD 61ci that he'd been riding since '37). In the years to follow, Him and Mom toured California, the Grand Canyon, Yellowstone, Yohsimitie, Colorado, South Dakota, Oklahoma, Niagra Falls, Canada, the Southern states, everywhere but Cape cod. Years later, my first destiation on my shiney new Shovelhead; Cape Cod (3700 miles in one week). Pardon me, I must have been overcome by the huge rows of flags I just rode past, honoring Memorial Day at the Cemetary where they now rest. Harley it is, and I chose a Moto-Trike Conversion for my Harley- Purple 2008 Ultra. For the $31,500 initially invested for the bike and conversion, I think it to be a Great value as it included reverse via shift lever off the tranny, adjustable air-shocks, Hitch, carpeted luggage compartments that do not leak, perfectly matching Harley-purple paint, and delivery to my door. Only complaint: faulty left tail light. As I plan to retrace their steps across the US, I have a complete record of log-books, photos, and even slides. -To make the vehicle more robust for the trip, here's my Recipie: Baker's +1 baffled oil pan, LaNale Engineering cooling fan, SE Big Twin Compensator, 30 tooth Andrews front sprocket (460 RPM increase to mimick Pre-2007 gearing), Rivera HD Clutch, 103 ci SE Jugs and flat top CAST pistons, Hi Strength SE Cylinder Studs, Forged SE rocker supports, SE 1.725 to one rockers WITH a set of SE204 cams (yields .539 lift and MORE TQ), SE ST, Adj. push-rods, SE Ovate Conical Valve Springs, Zipper's A/C with Nostalgic Cover (like a '46) V&H TRU Duals, Python Mufflers (TOO LOUD!), Progressive Spring set with monotube gas inserts, Chrome, Chrome, Chrome. Oh, and to keep gas mileage good and low end behaviour better, I've kept the heads and throttle body STOCK. After a very careful 1000 mile break-in using Regular HD 20W50 oil, the motor runs smooth and does not stumble, even during parking-lot maneuvers at 1000 RPM, picks right up and pulls nicely from 1400, and revs freely and quicly from 3000 to 5000 RPM. With 15 pounds in the rear air shocks and the Progressive inserts installed, the ride is superb, and it recovers nicely from one foot chuck-holes. Oil temperature runs around 185, unless it takes two tries to get her backed into the garage, which brings it up to 220 unless I kick on the LaNale fan. Next week it goes in for its first service interval, and I am considering a Dyno tune just for kicks. The only other things I plan to add are heated grips, and glove box speakers and an amplifier. -Can anyone recommend a set of mufflers just a bit tamer than those Pythons? I think a set of John Deere's would be a vast inprovement.

As for the Trip, I'll keep you posted,
Happy Memorial Day,
-Stoood

Old 05-30-2010, 02:51 PM
Bubba49
Road Master
Received 431 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by msocko3
I have to ask, is your servicing dealer this incompetent. Most of these issues are easy enough to resolve. The trunk leak issue has been addressed with a new gasket, if it still leaks then there is a problem with either the way they are installing it or the way they or or are not adjusting the trunk. By your reference of it popping open I believe there is an adjustment problem. I do have to say my dads 09 Triglide trunk leaked by the bucket full for several months until the 2010 gasket was released by the MoCo. Once the dealer installed it he hasn't had a leak since. I do have to say if the hardware is corroded it speaks to lack of care on the owners part. My dad dealt with gallons of water passing through and into his trunk and you can't tell the difference between his 1 year old trunk and a new one. The trick is he didn't leave the liner in there and he would dry all the water out and let the trunk sit open to dry before closing it.

If you saw 320 degree oil temp with a PCV and synthetic oil then you had something going on. I just finished installing SE255 cams, a Jagg 10 row oil cooler and using a SEST to map with on both my 2010 and my dads 2009. His 09 runs cool with the highest temp of 220 degrees. I installed the Fulemoto Jackpot head pipe on my 2010 to be rid of the catalytic converter. My highest oil temp to date has also been 220 degrees. The SE255 cam is a emissions friendly cam so you can't credit the cam for cooling things down. The credit goes to tuning and oil cooler, its not rocket science, its an air cooled engine which does emit a certain amount of heat.

Brakes, I agree they suck! They squeal like a hog and I'm sure once Lyndall gets on the ball that will be solved. Parking brake, no complaints from me or my dad. You set the parking brake and it won't roll, it works as it should.

The brushed aluminium rims, 2 words, Never Dull. I use it and it works like a charm, just requires some elbow grease.

Loose fasteners, you bet, blame Lehman for that one. Every loose fastener I found has been one the hacks at Lehman has touched. Add in the poor paint quality on parts they painted and I can understand why the MoCo wants to row their own boat.

The Triglide isn't perfect, nothing in life truly is. I can say if I had decided to Trike my 06 Ultra for example I'd have more in it than a Triglide cost. I have $31,000 in the 06 Ultra already then add in say $18,000 more to have someone install a DFT kit and I would have $49,000 in my kitted Ultra. I even looked at buying a used 06 Ultra which I believe I could have gotten for $15,000 and then add $18,000 for the DFT kit I'd have $33,000 in a bike with a 88" engine with no reverse, no warranty.
Msocko,

Must be more than one incompetent dealer. I've used two dealers in S.C. and three in Virginia. The 300 plus oil temp wasn't just on my Tri-Glide, it was on my Uncle's also. We rode to the mountains of Cherokee N.C. together twice and on both rides out temp was 300 or more during most of the ride (250 mile ride). You also have to look at the difference in locations (Ohio versus S.C./N.C) to explain the temps I've seen. We're talking 95 plus degree heat during several of our rides.

Not sure about trike conversion costs, but, it appears that Doc already has a bike, so you ain't talking the 31K for the initial bike. I'd say a DFT, or a Champion, a California sidecar, or a Motortrike conversion wouldn't be even close to the 35K for a TG (not including state property taxes). Not to mention that the 2010's (and probably 11's) have serious heat issues too.

Yes, as far as I know, my Uncle dried out the trunk after it leaked. But, we're talking water and S100 during cleaning, so I'm not sure what those two do to the hardware.

As I said before, the deciding factor for me to trade my TG was the reverse problem, I couldn't ride a trike that tried to kill me on it's own.

I've been reading alot of other threads and boards about the TG and trike conversions and I have yet to hear/see a conversion kit that had the issues the TG has had. If you have heard of any trike conversion kits having issues like those of the TG, by all means please let me know where.

Bubba

Old 05-30-2010, 02:55 PM
Road Warrior

Mine has V&H true duals. Sound "just" bad enough, but you can play with the packing if you'd like to alter them a bit.

I have $15,000 invested in my Lehman kitted FLHTCUI. Funny how those bargains can be had if you run across the right person that has plenty of money already and just wants to clean out his garage. It's like finding that 66 Corvette out in the barn under a tarp.

Quick Reply: Lookin into a Tri Glide