Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

10 Model Harley FlXXX Trike Help

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 07:37 PM
kjtoys
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 10 Model Harley FlhXXX Trike Help

I posted about 6 weeks ago when we bought the trike. Overall we like it but as many of you have posted about the heat is really bad and no power at high way speeds. I have a stage 1 download,thunderheader slip ons and high flow aircleaner. The trike gets 32mpg which is fair and good for a trike according to the post here. I have 1800 miles on it. Now my question! Where would you start first to get some of the heat taken care off. Maybe fuel moto or would you just get a set of true dual headpipes? Then a power comander and a set of woods cams. The woods cams is all I have ever run as they are strong. I run the T5 woods which is the stump puller cam as it has been called by some. I advance my cams 4 degrees to make them come on early and they seem to pull through the power band strong. Sorry for the long post but there's not a lot of trike posts so it gives you something to read LOL! Thanks all I lurk everyday on here. Kerry AKA KJTOYS

Last edited by kjtoys; 05-05-2010 at 07:46 PM. Reason: title wrong
Old 05-05-2010, 08:20 PM
Glyder
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well....you already have the AC and slipons...the factory download isnt whats needed..you need better fuel management and need to get rid of the cat in your headpipe since you have a 2010...so I would call Fuelmoto and get their headpipe for our Trikes and a PC V at a minimum..
Cam would also be a big help...they like the Woods TW6-6....bigger oil cooler etc.. those are options.

Old 05-06-2010, 03:13 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by kjtoys
Where would you start first to get some of the heat taken care off. Maybe fuel moto or would you just get a set of true dual headpipes? Then a power comander and a set of woods cams. The woods cams is all I have ever run as they are strong. I run the T5 woods which is the stump puller cam as it has been called by some. I advance my cams 4 degrees to make them come on early and they seem to pull through the power band strong. Sorry for the long post but there's not a lot of trike posts so it gives you something to read LOL! Thanks all I lurk everyday on here. Kerry AKA KJTOYS
For a quick fix you could switch to the Jackpot head pipe and the power commander. Then when you have some downtime you could put the icing on the cake with a set of cams such as the Woods TW6-6, and advancing it 4 degrees wouldn't be a bad thing either. Biggest problem with making engine mods on a Trike is there are not a whole lot of options when it comes to tuning it, dyno's are few and far between.

Old 05-06-2010, 07:24 AM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator
Received 2,043 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Just to add...You would have the option of tuning your trike with a TTS and the VTune software as well. Although most of our TG owners have gone with the PCV/auto and are happy you can achieve more with a TTS with less expense.

Another note, changing to TD's will leave low end torque on the garage floor. FM makes a replacement 2-1-2 that will not only get rid of the cat but keep those low end torque numbers in the bike.

Happy trails with what ever you choose...

-wiz

Old 05-06-2010, 10:12 AM
TheJimer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I posted about 6 weeks ago when we bought the trike. Overall we like it but as many of you have posted about the heat is really bad and no power at high way speeds. I have a stage 1 download,thunderheader slip ons and high flow aircleaner. The trike gets 32mpg which is fair and good for a trike according to the post here. I have 1800 miles on it. Now my question! Where would you start first to get some of the heat taken care off. Maybe fuel moto or would you just get a set of true dual headpipes? Then a power comander and a set of woods cams. The woods cams is all I have ever run as they are strong. I run the T5 woods which is the stump puller cam as it has been called by some. I advance my cams 4 degrees to make them come on early and they seem to pull through the power band strong. Sorry for the long post but there's not a lot of trike posts so it gives you something to read LOL! Thanks all I lurk everyday on here. Kerry AKA KJTOYS
Kerry; IMO, you’re on the right track; everything you mentioned is what I have done to chase the dreaded engine heat problem. In addition to the PC-V, Jackpot head pipes, V&H Slip-ons and Stage 1 A/C and a Woods TW6-6 cam; I also installed a Jagg 8 row oil cooler, an oil cooler fan and a LeNale cylinder fan. I routinely run in OAT’s in excess of 100 degrees so depending on the climate you operate in; those additional items may or may not be necessary.

Kerry; in the future; less luring and more posting…welcome to the forum!

Old 05-06-2010, 02:41 PM
kjtoys
Cruiser
Default removing the cat converter on trike

What if you just take the stock head pipes off and remove the cat converter would that help any or would the bike run like crap due to no back pressure. The Harley dealership in Paducah KY has a new dyno and it will tune trikes.

Old 05-06-2010, 03:27 PM
Glyder
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What if you just take the stock head pipes off and remove the cat converter would that help any or would the bike run like crap due to no back pressure. The Harley dealership in Paducah KY has a new dyno and it will tune trikes.
Yes you can do that but its no easy task to completely eliminate it. Maybe find a used 09 pipe but people seem to be hanging on to them in case they start getting strict on the EPA stuff.
Wish there was somewhere to dyno a trike around here.

Old 05-06-2010, 04:06 PM
TheJimer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Kerry; you can’t just remove the CAT without doing major customization to the head pipe. IMO; it would be easer and more heat effective to replace the head pipe with a Stainless Steel Jackpot pipe but you will still need some type of tuner such as a PC-V. And if you have gone that far you should probably do a Stage 1 A/C at the same time.

Old 05-06-2010, 05:47 PM
kjtoys
Cruiser

Thanks for all the help guys. I do have the stage one aircleaner. Im thinking about doing the 113 thing as my freind has done that to his trike and its a tire burning good running machine. Also the heat problem is gone as he changed everything.

Old 05-07-2010, 05:32 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Removing the entire cat from the 2010 head pipe has shown to not work real well due to the location of the stock O2 sensors. I went with the Fuelmoto Jackpot head pipe and held onto the stock head pipe which is $700+ in case it is needed in the future. With the way our Sate & Federal governments work who knows when they will get the wild hair to smog check.

Thanks for all the help guys. I do have the stage one aircleaner. Im thinking about doing the 113 thing as my freind has done that to his trike and its a tire burning good running machine. Also the heat problem is gone as he changed everything.
A 113 would be neat but I wouldn't do the bolt in 113 from HD unless your looking for only part of what it truly can be. If I was to do a 113 I'd go with a crank that was sent out and reworked by Hoban, I'd just send them the cases also and have them do the timken conversion on them while they bore them for the bigger cyls. I'd go with Head Quarters for the 113 kit which would be their head porting, cams, pistons & cyls. Or you could do the 117 like FLTR2008TRIKE did https://www.hdforums.com/forum/hacke...-my-trike.html, that should shred some tires, not to mention he kept on mind it was for a trike when choosing the build.

Quick Reply: 10 Model Harley FlXXX Trike Help