Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

High Idle, EITMS, Again

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 07:42 AM
Ironhorsepilot
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default High Idle, EITMS, Again

So last year I started a thread about the high idle I was getting a stop lights and when I first started my TG. I thought the idle was running around 1000 to 1500 rpms and was told that was normal. So I just would put in the clutch and give it a couple of blips to the throttle and it would eventually calm down.

So, the other day it was hot out, so I enabled the EITMS before starting out.

OMG, the idle shot up to over 2000 rpms when I first started out and I thought the bike was going to take off for sure. That odd feeling came back of being out of control. So I turned off the EITMS and it settled right back down. The slow idle you guys feel with this system seems to be the opposite for me.
Remember the poster that had his TG take off on him with what he thought was a stuck throttle? That is how it feels.

Old 04-09-2010, 08:55 AM
T K Glider
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

2000 RPM is what I experienced.It will take off if you release the clutch.I was at a busy light in the left turn lane and blipping would not bring the idle down.I had to feather the clutch till I got to a safe spot to turn off ignition.Restarting had to be done at least 2 times till idle went back to normal.Hope this helps.

Old 04-09-2010, 10:32 AM
FLTR2008TRIKE
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Keep in mind the ECM with the TBW will learn 0% throttle on start up if you happen to have your hand on the throttle and pull on it slightly when starting. The ECM will think that is the new 0%

If you start the engine several times without your hand on the throttle, the ECM will re-learn the 0% throttle

Old 04-09-2010, 01:18 PM
Ironhorsepilot
Road Master

Originally Posted by FLTR2008TRIKE
Keep in mind the ECM with the TBW will learn 0% throttle on start up if you happen to have your hand on the throttle and pull on it slightly when starting. The ECM will think that is the new 0%

If you start the engine several times without your hand on the throttle, the ECM will re-learn the 0% throttle

Any way you can speak in Girlie Talk???? Is what you are saying is what causes the over revving? I need to start with no throttle open?

Old 04-09-2010, 02:38 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Ironhorsepilot
Any way you can speak in Girlie Talk????
Keep your hand off the thingy that twist when you push the start button, you don't have to twist the throttle when you start it.

Old 04-09-2010, 04:16 PM
Ironhorsepilot
Road Master

Originally Posted by msocko3
Keep your hand off the thingy that twist when you push the start button, you don't have to twist the throttle when you start it.
Blondie thanks you! I also learned that I need to reset by turning on the run (thingy)button and turn on the ignition (thingy) switch 4 times counting 10 seconds in between, all without starting the engine.

Old 04-09-2010, 05:40 PM
Boom
Road Warrior

I also learned that I need to reset by turning on the run (thingy)button and turn on the ignition (thingy) switch 4 times counting 10 seconds in between, all without starting the engine.
I was going to say that but would have been embarassed!

Old 04-09-2010, 08:15 PM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Blondie thanks you! I also learned that I need to reset by turning on the run (thingy)button and turn on the ignition (thingy) switch 4 times counting 10 seconds in between, all without starting the engine.
What's a thingy?????

Old 04-09-2010, 09:15 PM
FLTR2008TRIKE
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Any way you can speak in Girlie Talk???? Is what you are saying is what causes the over revving? I need to start with no throttle open?
Sorry if I made it sound complicated

Old 04-10-2010, 06:27 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

That should take care of it.

Quick Reply: High Idle, EITMS, Again