Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

VP Clutch Installation

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 11:45 AM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

All you are basically doing is replacing your stock spring retainer ring.
(And readjusting the clutch).

I run the 83T (bought before they changed it to 84T).
I run it with a pre 03 spring and have wonderful results. Easy pull and fantastic clutch bite.

Note: Many aftermarket clutch inspection covers won't work with a VPC.
They might rub.

Stock covers are never a problem.

Old 03-25-2010, 01:11 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Faast Ed
All you are basically doing is replacing your stock spring retainer ring.
(And readjusting the clutch).

I run the 83T (bought before they changed it to 84T).
I run it with a pre 03 spring and have wonderful results. Easy pull and fantastic clutch bite.
I'm running the 83T in top of a SE Spring on my 06 Ultra with the easy pull ramps it is almost like it was when it had the stock spring in it. I'm running the 84T in the Triglide on top of the CVO spring it came with and the clutch pull is very easy.

Old 03-26-2010, 12:42 AM
Faast Ed
Banned

Originally Posted by msocko3
I'm running the 83T in top of a SE Spring on my 06 Ultra with the easy pull ramps it is almost like it was when it had the stock spring in it. I'm running the 84T in the Triglide on top of the CVO spring it came with and the clutch pull is very easy.
I ran the SE spring for a while. It wasn't a problem either. But being finicky as I am, I wanted to experiment with lighter springs to see what I can get away with (gaining an easier pull as reward). The 06 spring slipped a little while pounding hard on the bike, an 04 spring was an improvement, but the pre 03 spring locked up perfectly under the most strenuous conditions.
114 lbs of torque is what I was punishing the clutch with.
The lever pull can be done by a grandma with two fingers. Such a nice luxury in heavy traffic situations. Yet the clutch will grab perfectly under the hardest conditions.

It is indeed the perfect set up for me. The SE Spring only made my lever a little harder (nothing wrong with that). I was just in the tinkering mode and enjoyed the experimentation.

Last edited by Faast Ed; 03-26-2010 at 12:48 AM.
Old 03-26-2010, 11:11 AM
Boom
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by msocko3
Don't know if I'm reading this correctly..........are you using the "Easy Boy Lite" kit on your '06?
Just curious, I don't see it advertised anymore. Had it on my '05 Road Glide and the clutch pull was fantasticly light! It gave a 40% decrease in pull effort for only 25 bucks! Maybe it's not compatible with the 6-speed? When I had my 6-speed trans cover off, that ramp hardware sure looked the same as my '05 5-speed. I would install that on my TG if I knew it was compatible. Any ideas?

Old 03-26-2010, 01:54 PM
Faast Ed
Banned

Don't know if I'm reading this correctly..........are you using the "Easy Boy Lite" kit on your '06?
Just curious, I don't see it advertised anymore. Had it on my '05 Road Glide and the clutch pull was fantasticly light! It gave a 40% decrease in pull effort for only 25 bucks! Maybe it's not compatible with the 6-speed? When I had my 6-speed trans cover off, that ramp hardware sure looked the same as my '05 5-speed. I would install that on my TG if I knew it was compatible. Any ideas?

I would be curious to know what ramps he installed in his 06. He should have already had good ramps in that bike to begin with. The VPC should have helped even more.
But the SE spring should have taken some of the "ease" away.

Old 03-26-2010, 02:01 PM
Boom
Road Warrior
Default easy boy lite

These were the components as I remember them. The spacers would have been used outside the housing for the clutch cable.

Old 03-26-2010, 04:03 PM
BinIdaho
Stellar HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

*Kicks myself*...why didn't I have the clutch part installed last year! Wow, what a difference....no more clutch slipping. Everyone should have one installed.

Old 03-26-2010, 05:20 PM
Boom
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by BinIdaho
*Kicks myself*...why didn't I have the clutch part installed last year! Wow, what a difference....no more clutch slipping. Everyone should have one installed.
Barb, what about the "ease of the squeeze" ?

Old 03-26-2010, 10:02 PM
BinIdaho
Stellar HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Boom
Barb, what about the "ease of the squeeze" ?
That too Boom.....I was thrilled with no more clutch slipping when taking off at a stop sign, downshifting for turns, etc. I'm impressed.

Old 03-27-2010, 11:46 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Faast Ed
The "easy pull ramps" that I bought for the 04 (that I used to have), are the same ramps that come stock on the 06 and newer bikes. (I currently have an 08).

I would be curious to know what ramps he installed in his 06. He should have already had good ramps in that bike to begin with. The VPC should have helped even more.
But the SE spring should have taken some of the "ease" away.
I guess there gets to be confusion between the easy pull they put in starting with the 06 MY and the other after market products. The ramps in my 06 were the easy pull ones the MoCo started installing with the 06 MY TC's. The SE clutch spring with those ramps was ok, and yes it did take some of the "ease" away. I did have a problem with stop and go traffic. The addition of the VP83T took the clutch pull back to almost what it was when I had the stock clutch spring in it.

Obviously with Triglide only having the CVO spring which is litghter than the SE spring the clutch pull with the addition of the VP84T is easier than what my 06 Ultra is with the SE spring.

Quick Reply: VP Clutch Installation