Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

TG in a trailer

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2010 | 10:52 AM
robandlyn
|
Road Master
Default TG in a trailer

Well we had to bring Lynn's TG to the dealer for its 1000 mile service
last week when we were having monson like rains. Damm the TG is BIG !
Was able to carry 3 tour bikes but not now .... LOL ...
I had it 1st loaded all the way up in the nose and my 07 Ultra would still
fit in my other chock behind it. Then I thought it was not a good idea to
have the TG weight in the front and better in the rear position for weight
distribution. Now I got to see if my 07 Ultra fits in the nose chock at the
same time. I know Lynn's 07 SG she had fit there so mine should.
Here are some pictures and boy does the rear bumper on the TG come
in handy for tie-down.
Rob ....

Attached Thumbnails TG in a trailer-trike-tr-1.jpg   TG in a trailer-trike-tr-2.jpg   TG in a trailer-trike-tr-3.jpg  
Old 03-22-2010 | 01:28 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member

Make sure you don't get too much weight to the back of the trailer and make the tongue weight to light, could make for a unpleasent experience when the trailer starts to sway.

Old 03-22-2010 | 04:59 AM
robandlyn
|
Road Master

Thanks !
Didn't even think about that !
I'll have to check just to see how it sits over the wheels.
It is a dual axle trailer.
Rob ....

Old 03-22-2010 | 06:25 AM
Bubba49
Road Master

I'd think twice about using the rear bumper to tie anything down. There are eyelets underneath the rear end (near rear axle) that are much stronger than the rear bumper. With the weight of a TG the rear bumper might not hold as well if the trike slides to either side. I have trailer two TG's to Daytona and back twice and the eyelets have never failed (Quite an accomplishment with the condition of S.C., G.A. and F.L. roads).

Old 03-22-2010 | 10:10 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by robandlyn
Thanks !
Didn't even think about that !
I'll have to check just to see how it sits over the wheels.
It is a dual axle trailer.
Rob ....
Dual axle helps the road manners some. My brother used to pull a 24' trailer with his dragster along with other support equipment. He found out how important tongue weight was when it developed some evil road manners, it wanted to sway when the road was uneven or the wind blew from the side. With the dragster and all the gear it was one heavy load which could give his 36' motor home a little workout.

Old 03-22-2010 | 10:13 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Bubba49
I'd think twice about using the rear bumper to tie anything down. There are eyelets underneath the rear end (near rear axle) that are much stronger than the rear bumper. With the weight of a TG the rear bumper might not hold as well if the trike slides to either side. I have trailer two TG's to Daytona and back twice and the eyelets have never failed (Quite an accomplishment with the condition of S.C., G.A. and F.L. roads).
You have a good point, they have the eyelets under it for tie down. I've also seen the dealer strap the back end down by placing the straps through the rear rims. My dad has them to put some soft cloths between the strap and cloth because it can leave marks.

Old 03-22-2010 | 11:07 AM
TheJimer
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by msocko3
You have a good point, they have the eyelets under it for tie down. I've also seen the dealer strap the back end down by placing the straps through the rear rims. My dad has them to put some soft cloths between the strap and cloth because it can leave marks.
+1 on using the rims as a tie down; that is what I do on my TG & show cars but rather than using rags to prevent scratching the rims I use a set of soft fury automobile shoulder harness protectors; they have Velcro on the inside end to form a sleeve over the tie down strap and slide to the exact point you want to place them.

You can pick them up at most any auto parts store for about $5 and they work great!