Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Stage 1, AC and "super trap" slip-ons-anyone done this?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2010 | 12:24 PM
kennychrysalis
Novice

thought I would say...I have 05 ele. g classic, vandh true duels,screamn' Eagle stage I with supertrapp slip ons. I think 203 cams. Tmax injection control. screamn Eagle a/c. Good torque,like the sound. not too loud. The mpg has droped to a constant 34 lost about 6 mpg. I live in northern Utah. I have been riding in the 30s and 40s for several months put about 1000 miles on the bike this winter. rode in the 60s the other day. will the mpg change in the hotter weather.???The bike runs very well, others have commented, "who cares about mpg, if it runs like you want ". I guess I agree. I installed the pipes and Tmax last fall. Later kenny

Old 03-23-2010 | 06:03 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by kennychrysalis
thought I would say...I have 05 ele. g classic, vandh true duels,screamn' Eagle stage I with supertrapp slip ons. I think 203 cams. Tmax injection control. screamn Eagle a/c. Good torque,like the sound. not too loud. The mpg has droped to a constant 34 lost about 6 mpg. I live in northern Utah. I have been riding in the 30s and 40s for several months put about 1000 miles on the bike this winter. rode in the 60s the other day. will the mpg change in the hotter weather.???The bike runs very well, others have commented, "who cares about mpg, if it runs like you want ". I guess I agree. I installed the pipes and Tmax last fall. Later kenny
Poor fuel mileage is one of the complaints I've read from folks with the Tmax. You might be getting some worse mileage due to winter blend gas. My 06 Ultra is a 95" Head Quarters touring build with a supertrapp supermeg 2.1 exhaust tuned with the SERT making 104hp 100ft/lb torque and I get around 43 - 45 mpg except in the colder months when it may drop to 38 or 39 mpg. If your mileage doesn't improve you need to work on tuning the Tmax.

Old 03-23-2010 | 06:06 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Boom
Not looking to complain, but with the Supertrapp SEs, new headpipe, SE AC, PC V installed, I seem to have a loss of torque after my TG heats up. I have to give it more throttle at a dead start, as I did with stock, but there is a definite lag for a few seconds until it gets moving. It's almost like a timing lag until it hits a certain rpm. Typical? Would different slip-ons make a difference or does this warrant a cam change as you others have discussed?
Sometimes a muffler can can kill or shift torque as will timing, fuel and a host of other things. After you get some more miles on it see if its not better if not you might give Jamie a call and see what he suggest.

Old 03-23-2010 | 06:19 PM
Randy_3
6th Gear

Originally Posted by msocko3
Does 211 ring a bell, does it pull real hard in the upper RPM range. I know the SE211 cam has a pretty lumpy idle and pulls real hard in the mid to upper RPM range.
Sorry you are right 211

Old 03-23-2010 | 07:59 PM
Boom
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by msocko3
Sometimes a muffler can can kill or shift torque as will timing, fuel and a host of other things. After you get some more miles on it see if its not better if not you might give Jamie a call and see what he suggest.
Good point! Thanks. Guess I need to run the snot out of it some more.

Old 03-24-2010 | 05:27 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Randy_3
Sorry you are right 211
I'm surprised they went with the 211 in a Trike. The 211 is kind of soft on the bottom end, great for lite bikes and usually requires more compression than what the stock 103 with flat top pistons provides. But then if your happy that's all that counts.

Old 03-25-2010 | 06:31 PM
Randy_3
6th Gear

I am Happy with it in general but you do have to fiddle around with the throttle on take off, Kinda bogs out for a min till the clutch is all the way out but it could just be me. I notice it most on a hill on take off, it has plenty of power just kinda almost dies if I don't throttle pretty good.

Old 03-25-2010 | 06:41 PM
Boom
Road Warrior

I am Happy with it in general but you do have to fiddle around with the throttle on take off, Kinda bogs out for a min till the clutch is all the way out but it could just be me. I notice it most on a hill on take off, it has plenty of power just kinda almost dies if I don't throttle pretty good.
Sounds exactly like mine Randy and my cam is stock. I have to check it again and see what rpm it seems to pull away after takeoff (after its hot---cool, no issue). I may just be lugging it and not realizing it.

Last edited by Boom; 03-25-2010 at 06:46 PM.
Old 03-25-2010 | 06:55 PM
Randy_3
6th Gear

Thats the word I was looking for. Lugging it. It don't do it on a flat road but on a hill I feel like an amature and I have ridden Harley's all my life. May be when the weather warms up it won't be so bad plus all this hype about winter gas. With it being a loud as it is I think it also makes people think I am just being obnoxous but not the case in the incident, although I don't loose any sleep worrying about what people think. This old man is going to bed.

Nice talking with you

Randy

Old 03-26-2010 | 03:13 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member

One of the downsides to the 211 cam is a weak bottom end, they're not the best thing for a heavy bike unless gearing changes are made. Speaking of gearing. One of the things that I read when the Triglide was 1st introduced and being reviewed was its lacklustre ability to take off from a stop. This is one of the things I notice about it compared to my 06 Ultra which is lighter and has lower gearing. The Ultra takes right off with very little throttle vs the Triglide needing much more throttle. It seems maybe a touch better since putting the SE255 cams in, but not worlds better.

Quick Reply: Stage 1, AC and "super trap" slip-ons-anyone done this?