Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Tri-Glide head pipes question

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 06:27 PM
RLJO
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Tri-Glide head pipes question

If you remove your head pipes and remove the cat what steps do you need to do after reinstalling head pipes? I'm not very mechanical so I would appreciate your help on this.

RLJO

Old 02-16-2010, 06:47 PM
Boom
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMHO, I wouldn't even bother removing that cat material if that is your intention. Get the new headpipe that's stainless and less restrictive for the engine. Check out msocko's thread, "Jackpot Head Pipe", with pictures on differences between stock and Fuelmoto's headpipe.

Old 02-16-2010, 07:20 PM
coupe55
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Get the Fuel Moto Pipe

Originally Posted by Boom
IMHO, I wouldn't even bother removing that cat material if that is your intention. Get the new headpipe that's stainless and less restrictive for the engine. Check out msocko's thread, "Jackpot Head Pipe", with pictures on differences between stock and Fuelmoto's headpipe.
I downed mine and cut the back off the headpipe, swiss cheesed the cat material with a 1/4" drill. Got some good response after I got it all back together! Now I'm going to have to take it down again, the pipes were not developed when I did mine. They will flow better, stainless and will shed heat better, lighter!

If you have some welding skills you can do the decat but if you have to farm it out I would put the money toward the Fuel Moto Pipe, I would go ahead and get the better product!

Old 02-16-2010, 07:44 PM
TheJimer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Boom
I agree, I wouldn’t mess with it; I would just invest the money towards the “Jackpot” stainless head pipe! A side benefit of swapping out is: if your state ever passes an EPA inspection requirement; you can easily slap the stock Cat pipe on to pass inspection!

Old 02-17-2010, 06:12 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by RLJO
If you remove your head pipes and remove the cat what steps do you need to do after reinstalling head pipes? I'm not very mechanical so I would appreciate your help on this.

RLJO
Just opening up the head pipe and removing all the cat material is a bad way to go. If you have a 09 California market Triglide that came with a cat you can do it and get away with it because the Oxygen sensors are up close to the exhaust ports. The 2010 MY brought us new style O2 sensors that are located just before the cat. The problem comes when you remove the cat material it creates a large open chamber that will allow the 2 exhaust streams to mix and now the O2 sensors are not reading their respective cylinder. The best solution on the market right this moment for the Triglide is the Jackpot head pipe. Fuel Moto designed the pipe so cross talk is not an issue.

If your going to start turning wrenches you should invest in the service manual and the Triglide supplement along with a ft/lb & in/lb torque wrenches.

Old 02-17-2010, 07:13 AM
coupe55
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Drilled Cats

Originally Posted by msocko3
Just opening up the head pipe and removing all the cat material is a bad way to go. If you have a 09 California market Triglide that came with a cat you can do it and get away with it because the Oxygen sensors are up close to the exhaust ports. The 2010 MY brought us new style O2 sensors that are located just before the cat. The problem comes when you remove the cat material it creates a large open chamber that will allow the 2 exhaust streams to mix and now the O2 sensors are not reading their respective cylinder. The best solution on the market right this moment for the Triglide is the Jackpot head pipe. Fuel Moto designed the pipe so cross talk is not an issue.

If your going to start turning wrenches you should invest in the service manual and the Triglide supplement along with a ft/lb & in/lb torque wrenches.
That is why I opted to drill the cat full of 1/4" holes and leave a little material to hold a little back pressure! I got a good response with the stock mufflers! You can figure on still being 1/3 to 1/2 blocked as far as exhaust flow! I believe I will leave mine as is this summer just for experimental purposes! I know I have cooled it off some but the Fuel Moto pipe should perform much better since it is 100% open!

I will order the pipe and install this fall with the cam, high flow AC and the tune! I am still hoping someone will come up with some wideband O2's that will work with the 2010 ECM.

Old 02-17-2010, 08:59 AM
RLJO
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tri-Glide head pipe question

Thanks guys,appreciate the info. Will the Jackpot Headpipes void the waranty?

Old 02-17-2010, 02:15 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by RLJO
Thanks guys,appreciate the info. Will the Jackpot Headpipes void the waranty?
With any modification performed the burden is on Harley Davidson to prove it caused whatever it was to fail. Some of my parts choices are based on how much hassle I'm willing to go through if I have to deal with something under warranty. In my mind, as warped as it is at times. I'm comfortable switching the head pipe without worrying about warranty problems.

Old 02-17-2010, 02:45 PM
Boom
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Last edited by Boom; 02-17-2010 at 02:53 PM.
Old 02-17-2010, 09:05 PM
TheJimer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by msocko3
With any modification performed the burden is on Harley Davidson to prove it caused whatever it was to fail. Some of my parts choices are based on how much hassle I'm willing to go through if I have to deal with something under warranty. In my mind, as warped as it is at times. I'm comfortable switching the head pipe without worrying about warranty problems.
I agree…it’s sort of a risk reward situation; I’m willing to take some warranty risk if I think the reward merits it! I this case, I have confidence in Jamie and feel that his 2/1/2 head pipe will cool my trike down thus making any warranty risk worth while in my opinion!

Quick Reply: Tri-Glide head pipes question