Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Tri Glide GPS option

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 04:36 AM
FLTR2008TRIKE
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by pork
My wife also has this type in the radio of her 09 TG, and we like it, too. The voice prompts are very effective, and just what we need on a moving vehicle. I have been told that this type is not available on the 2010 TG, by the way.

We would not look at a display anyway, while riding, like we used to with the big Garmin on our boat. There's too much going on while riding the trike to look at the GPS, no matter how big the screen is, at least for us.

I'm not sure why you can't put in street adresses on yours, though; we have done that several times, successfully. Although, the database is very limited as to what addresses it will recognize, at least in some areas. It sometimes says we are going "cross country" when we are on a very old, very well established road.

Do you have any idea whether an update CD can be obtained? I have not been able to find one, and ours is dated 2007.
Heres the kit # for the GPS module 76471-06A

Harley I think is no longer selling the the module. I bet if you can find the unit at a dealership you can still install it. I cant see then making changes to the same radio they have been offering since 06 with basically the same part #

As far as any updates I have found any. I need to get my CDs and look up the maker of them to see if they have anything that might be new

I just went to Chicago HD online and posted the part # and it shows its still a good part #. Maybe a little leg work and you might be able to find it

Old 01-05-2010, 11:10 PM
pork
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good info

Originally Posted by FLTR2008TRIKE
Heres the kit # for the GPS module 76471-06A

Harley I think is no longer selling the the module. I bet if you can find the unit at a dealership you can still install it. I cant see then making changes to the same radio they have been offering since 06 with basically the same part #

As far as any updates I have found any. I need to get my CDs and look up the maker of them to see if they have anything that might be new

I just went to Chicago HD online and posted the part # and it shows its still a good part #. Maybe a little leg work and you might be able to find it
I would think it will still fit in the 2010 HK radio and work, but I don't know that for sure.

I tried an internet search for the names I found on my CDs and had no luck. Maybe you will do better. Please let me know if you do.

Old 01-06-2010, 12:24 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by pork
I tried an internet search for the names I found on my CDs and had no luck. Maybe you will do better. Please let me know if you do.
That is one of the problems with a map program that may or may not be supported. Streets change, businesses come and go so accuracy does kind of count when your trying to make a route to a place. I have a Zumo 550 and paid the money for the life time map updates. I've had to use the GPS to punch up a quick gas station location before, it paid for it self on that day. Without it I may not have located the closest gas station and run out.

Old 01-06-2010, 04:28 PM
pork
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Absolutely!

Originally Posted by msocko3
That is one of the problems with a map program that may or may not be supported. Streets change, businesses come and go so accuracy does kind of count when your trying to make a route to a place. I have a Zumo 550 and paid the money for the life time map updates. I've had to use the GPS to punch up a quick gas station location before, it paid for it self on that day. Without it I may not have located the closest gas station and run out.
You're right, a high quality fully supported GPS is the kind to have if you really want GPS. We used to have a nice Garmin with data updates on a salmon boat, and the quality of its data was fantastic, all the way from depth contours (which we really needed) to school locations. On our bike trips, though, we always plot our own weird routes by hand. A GPS would never send us by the route we want to take. Turning on the GPS just makes it follow us and continually re-plot the route. We only use it when in a city and looking for a specific address, or HD dealer, etc.

If I were going to buy GPS for a bike, I would have the type that you have, for sure. Ours just came on the trike, and for the limited use we make of it, it is fine.

Old 01-06-2010, 06:22 PM
Boom
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fill me in on how this HK GPS unit is setup..............

I never did understand the entire concept about these HK systems. Is there a stereo and CB module that gets removed and replaced by the GPS unit? Also, if you want XM radio, that is another plug-in module? Wazzup with that?

Old 01-06-2010, 06:49 PM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Boom
I never did understand the entire concept about these HK systems. Is there a stereo and CB module that gets removed and replaced by the GPS unit? Also, if you want XM radio, that is another plug-in module? Wazzup with that?
They are all just modules that plug and play with the HK unit.

Old 01-07-2010, 12:49 AM
rcpilot_971
Tourer

I have an iPhone with the AT&T GPS app that I can enable for $9.99/month. I bought the HD iPhone case w/magnetic tank mount and can plug it into the aux stereo jack for voice commands. I'll probably try it on a trip this summer. One big draw-back is I'm not sure the case will water-proof the iPhone. If it turns out to be a crappy GPS setup, I'll just drop the subscription and consider the Zumo.
where did you get the case dou have a link

Thanks Tim

Old 01-07-2010, 05:41 PM
Boom
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by rcpilot_971
where did you get the case dou have a link

Thanks Tim
It should be in the Harley catalog. A bit over-priced but, what the hey, I'm a sucker for gadgetry! It's called the " Boom! audio tank pouch " ---91003-10.
(no, I did not make up that name)

Last edited by Boom; 01-07-2010 at 05:50 PM. Reason: paste
Old 01-07-2010, 08:06 PM
rcpilot_971
Tourer

It should be in the Harley catalog. A bit over-priced but, what the hey, I'm a sucker for gadgetry! It's called the " Boom! audio tank pouch " ---91003-10.
(no, I did not make up that name)

Thank you

Tim