Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Recall Notice

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2009, 10:08 PM
blade76
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got one today as well (12/26). Seems odd that a 2010 bought in August would have a build in November 2009 or earlier.

Old 12-27-2009, 04:30 AM
carlo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Me to 12-26. I wonder what the brace looks like? Most prob have to lift the front of tank to install it. Any one know for sure.

Old 12-27-2009, 05:46 PM
Baddogisme
Intermediate

i got my letter and my dealer is going to come pick my bike up and fix the problem and then bring it back to me. wife said well arnt we going to try and ride it in the snow? i just looked at her dumbfounded and she stated ask it in the forums if any one else will be trying it to see how it goes in the snow, so here i am asking and wondering if i have lost my mind to ask this question...

Old 12-27-2009, 05:52 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Baddogisme
i got my letter and my dealer is going to come pick my bike up and fix the problem and then bring it back to me. wife said well arnt we going to try and ride it in the snow? i just looked at her dumbfounded and she stated ask it in the forums if any one else will be trying it to see how it goes in the snow, so here i am asking and wondering if i have lost my mind to ask this question...
That's a good one. I don't plan on testing mine in the snow. Funny thing is when I was in 6th grade my teacher used to ride a his 2 wheel motorcycle to and from school year round. I'm not going to have mine done until spring when the salt is gone.

Old 12-27-2009, 11:45 PM
Andrew Willingham
Cruiser

What was the issue with the brace?

Old 12-28-2009, 07:56 AM
Boom
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got my letter after Christmas so I guess I'll schedule the work for my 1000 mile check. I'd like to get it done before the end of Feb. so I can use my 10% dealer discount on labor. Hope weather improves .....I need to put on another 500 miles!!

Old 12-28-2009, 10:05 AM
TheJimer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Andrew Willingham
What was the issue with the brace?
The purpose of the new brace is to reinforce the gas tank to prevent it from rupturing in a front end collision. My question is: how was this defect discovered? Seems to be a well kept secret!

Old 12-28-2009, 12:36 PM
Baddogisme
Intermediate

yeah sure makes you wonder dont it Jim, but then i am sure theres a reason for why they built the TG like they did,

Old 12-28-2009, 02:45 PM
coupe55
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Crash & Burn

Originally Posted by TheJimer
The purpose of the new brace is to reinforce the gas tank to prevent it from rupturing in a front end collision. My question is: how was this defect discovered? Seems to be a well kept secret!
Sounds like someone may have Crashed and Burned! If the tank rupture's you can bet that glowing cat will ignite the fuel. I forged my letter to make it look like a CAT defect so they will take it out

Old 12-28-2009, 07:55 PM
cubbear42
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Angry

Originally Posted by TheJimer
snip My question is: how was this defect discovered? Seems to be a well kept secret!
Jim,

I agree with you on your above question... HOW DID THIS COME ABOUT - HOW WAS IT DISCOVERED...??? No one has answered it!!!!

Thank you site administrator - I was one who couldn't log on...

Mac (or me) got the notice in the mail 12/26/2009....

The outside of the envelope is/was intiminating: [I]SAFETY RECALL NOTICE[I]

The contents of the letter was the same as what Mr Wizard had posted on Dec 3rd under thread: '09 and '10 Touring Model Recall...

Our letter was DATED Dec 18,2009; MAILED Dec 21, 2009...

A portion of the last paragraph on the first page: "Should you choose to ride your motorcycle prior to this service, we urge you to be aware of this condition."

Okay, Jim's question becomes very important - how did they (HD) come to this conclusion...?

I'll say/ask it again - what about if someone is hit from the rear...?

You all know of the situation with Mac (still in rehab, hasn't been home for 30 days)...

If you have a chance, check out our site http://triglide.multiply.com and look at our photo albums from the last 3 weeks of August - You folks who ride a trike will know what to look at in the pictures - the rear/left wheel is on or to the left of the center of the highway....

I didn't pat Mac on his left side so he'd move further to the right if I didn't see any vehicles coming our way - but I know I continually patted him on his left ribs to move over... That was not like him to be over the center line like that and he didn't get mad at me for bringing it to his attention...

Also, looking in our monthly/day planner his writing became much harder to read....

His vision on the left side became bad and now, after surgery, it's worse...

Jim, most likely no one would want to answer your question...

Mac's surgery was exactly 3 months from date of being 'rear ended'... But had problems (that I can see now) within a month of us being hit...

You all get out there and ride - don't wait but be safe...

Quick Reply: Recall Notice