Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Synthetic Oil Rap

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 10:08 AM
TheJimer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Synthetic Oil Rap

Have any of you folks been following the Syn. vs. Reg. Oil thread over in the Touring Section?

They are saying that some H-D dealers are now recommending that you use regular oil instead of synthetic because they claim that needle bearings are failing because the synthetic oil is too slick, causing the bearings to skate rather than roll; thus creating flat spots.

This is the first that I have heard of this and I’m not so sure that I’m ready to buy into that reasoning.

I use synthetic because my TG runs so hot and synthetic oil has a higher temperature range than regular oil; so until Harley publishes a bulletin, I’m sticking with synthetic!

Last edited by TheJimer; 12-09-2009 at 06:53 PM.
Old 12-09-2009, 10:33 AM
TheJimer
Road Warrior

I just ran across this on the H-D Forum Home Page and thought that some of you would get as big of a laugh out of this as I did.

Harley-Davison Motor Company until recently advocated using only natural, non-synthetic oil in its V-twin motors. This was because it was thought the heat generated by these air-cooled engines was not high enough to merit concern. However, with the introduction of H.D.'s "Screamin' Eagle" synthetic oil, the company has joined the ranks of synthetic oil manufacturers who claim synthetic oil has advantages over petroleum oil, including better heat dispersion in air-cooled engines.

Old 12-09-2009, 10:39 AM
jimsflh
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Well we'll see, changing fluids and putting formula in all three holes.

Old 12-09-2009, 06:42 PM
krw
Tourer

Changing to Mobile 1 V-Twin on the next oil change.

Old 12-09-2009, 06:48 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

HD dealers started telling that "too slick for rollers" story over a decade ago.

Old 12-09-2009, 07:02 PM
T K Glider
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't the '10's come with synth?

Old 12-09-2009, 07:25 PM
SamStone
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 177 Likes on 89 Posts

Never hear anything bad about real oil. Cheap too.

Old 12-10-2009, 01:32 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by T K Glider
Don't the '10's come with synth?
Only ones that come with Syn are the CVO's. I don't buy into the whole bearing skate BS that some dealers throw out. I actualy had a guy from a dealer try to convince me that I should change my oil every 2,500 miles, I'm a touch smarter than that. I change every 5,000 miles and I use syn. Right now I'm on the Triglide I'm running Syn 3 in the engine, Formula+ in the primary and Redline shock proof heavy in the trans. On my 06 Ultra I'm running Mobile 1 20w-50(Not V-Twin), Formula+ and Redline shock proof heavy. Once my warranty is out on the Trike I'll be switching it over to the Mobile 1 20w-50 also.

Old 12-10-2009, 06:02 AM
carlo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What Oil to use. Its like discussing Religion and Politics. i use synthetic in my engine. Formula+ in the trans & primary. I also use Syn in my cars I won't use synthetic in a engine that has a oil leak as I found it will increase the leak.

Old 12-10-2009, 08:01 AM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 241 Likes on 161 Posts

With the thousands of bikes that use synthetic oil wouldn't you think it would be common knowledge if a particular type of oil was causing major failures? I have heard of the cam bearings going out due to the company going with the cheaper version bearing, But they offer a "improved " version as the replacement. Not buying the type of oil caused it.,,

Quick Reply: Synthetic Oil Rap