Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Synthetic Oil Rap

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 11:45 AM
hARLEYJERRY
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been useing Amsoil synthetic M/C oil in all my Harleys for the past 30 years and put tens of thousands of miles NEVER had a engine, transmission or primary drive problem. Runs cooler, better shifting. I also use it in my boat,cars and diesel truck never had any enine problems in any of them.

Old 06-06-2010, 09:47 AM
riggs
Intermediate
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Just put in Mobil 1 in engine and primary. Put Redline Shockproof Heavy in the transmission and what a difference. Shifts much easier and neutral is much easier to find. It just makes riding our trike even more enjoyable. My wife says that buying the Trike was the best decision we have made in a long time.
Ride Safe!!

Old 06-06-2010, 04:04 PM
FLTR2008TRIKE
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have used Amsoil 20/50 for many years without a problem at all. Since assembling this 117" and the added heat its produces, Im now runiing Amsoil straight 60w racing oil. My oil pressure is much better both cruising and at idle in 95 degree temps.

Im going to run this 60w for the rest of the summer or 4000 miles and do a oil sample sending it to Blackstone labs for a test. Once is cools back down I will switch back to 20/50 for the winter months

I decided to give Redline shock proof trans oil a try ( had been running Amsoil 75/140 severe gear ) in the transmission. I have to say the trans has less whine. But the oil is still fresh so time will tell.

My primary I change each time I change the engine oil ( I use Mercon Trans fluid as per Barnetts suggestion ). I do this because of the carbon fiber clutch Im running. Kepping the oil changed helps the mainshaft bearing in the inner primary and clutch pack last longer

Old 12-10-2010, 02:41 AM
Gutman
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by msocko3
Don't let them put Syn3 in the trans. I quit using Syn3 in all 3 holes years ago after I drained the trans while hot and saw the Syn3 come out like water and lot of metal fuzzies on the magnet of the drain plug on my 06 Ultra. I switched to Redline Shock Proof heavy and never had another clump of metal fuzzies on a drain plug magnet again. Right now I'm running Syn3 in the engine, Formula + in the primary and Redline Shock Proof in the trans. The only reason I'm running the Syn3 is because I had a case on the shelf. I'm only running the Syn3 in the Triglide. I run Mobile 1 15w-50 in my 06 Ultra along with Formula + in the primary and Redline Shock Proof in the trans. I run the Formula + because its cheaper than runing a good synthetic in the primary when all your doing is lubing a chain and the clutch plates.

The water is condensation and is in all oils, especially the trans that is vented to the atmosphere. The water will burn off with a good ride. Check the shear strength of trans oil. Synthetic oils is a benefit to any engine. HD Syn3 is a product of Hugo Chavez is one of my gripe's. Use Ams oil. Review the test results and compare. I am a fan of Lucas but look at the results, they will surprise you. The MOCO recommended against synthetics only because it wasn't tested at the time. No dealer or indy is an engineer. Do some homework and ask around. You will soon find out who does their homework.

Old 12-10-2010, 03:49 PM
coupe55
Club Member
Default MOCO Myth

Originally Posted by Gutman
The water is condensation and is in all oils, especially the trans that is vented to the atmosphere. The water will burn off with a good ride. Check the shear strength of trans oil. Synthetic oils is a benefit to any engine. HD Syn3 is a product of Hugo Chavez is one of my gripe's. Use Ams oil. Review the test results and compare. I am a fan of Lucas but look at the results, they will surprise you. The MOCO recommended against synthetics only because it wasn't tested at the time. No dealer or indy is an engineer. Do some homework and ask around. You will soon find out who does their homework.
MOCO probably started the myth of bearing skate back when they only had dino oil. Since they now have a line of synthetic oil they want you to put it in all three holes, HD does not slam the synthetics anymore.

I will tell you form 07 on the HD touring bikes have become progressively hotter every year and in 2010 when the air quality standards become more stringent, HD went with the catalytic converters, making the touring models even hotter. Especially the bikes with lower fairings.

Members on this post have posted oil temperatures in excess of 300 deg. F. in the summer months. Most have been working on pulling those temps down closer to 240 in the summer at idle. Dino oil starts breaking down at 240 and will be fried at over 300 for long duration. Dino makes no sense for todays modern HD engines with the Cats, even after 07 really.

We have been turning in some respectable oil analysis figures on our own oil analysis for the Tri glides. The synthetics are performing as expected with amsoil doing very well. Mobile I or Syn 3 should be adequate, any good synthetic but dino in the Tri Glide is courting disaster.

Old 12-10-2010, 03:58 PM
DMorr99
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hate rap.

Old 12-10-2010, 04:02 PM
tbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 690 Likes on 465 Posts

The thing that worries me is the 1,000 mile break in period. How much damage is
caused with oil break down.You are correct with the dino oil not being able to
handle the trikes 300 deg.

Old 12-10-2010, 06:03 PM
coupe55
Club Member
Default Glow in the Dark Cats

Originally Posted by tbob
The thing that worries me is the 1,000 mile break in period. How much damage is
caused with oil break down.You are correct with the dino oil not being able to
handle the trikes 300 deg.
During the break in period the Tri is hotter, new engine with tight tolerance. I bought mine in August and freaked out at those temps and the EITMS kicking in. Killed the Cat and just rode in the the cool of the day and tried to stay out of long idle periods in traffic until I got my 1000 in. The first Harley I ever babied during break in. I went to amsoil on the 1000 service and I believe you should scavenge on that change, 3.5-4 fresh quarts of synthetic.

I would loved to have seen an oil analysis on the Trikes that were broke in during summer, especially the Trikes that were not decatted!

Old 12-10-2010, 06:11 PM
wheel752
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

amsoil 20/50 in the tank......beer in the cooler.....not much to worry about

Old 12-10-2010, 06:31 PM
twistr
Road Warrior
Received 143 Likes on 56 Posts

"Synthetic Oil Rap"

A hip hop hippity hop, I use Amsoil and fill it to the top. Ridin' down the street without a pop, there's a fine girl, gotta stop...Another oil thread, this has gotten old. Like a bad poker hand, I have to fold...

Quick Reply: Synthetic Oil Rap