Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

More Mod’s = More Pictures

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 09:42 PM
ajjacobsa
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How hard was it to get a handicapped endorsement on a motorcycle plate? Must have been an interesting conversation at the DMV.

Old 09-10-2009, 10:19 PM
FLTR2008TRIKE
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ajjacobsa
How hard was it to get a handicapped endorsement on a motorcycle plate? Must have been an interesting conversation at the DMV.
Most states now have a Handicap tag for motorcycles. If you already have a handicap plate or placard here in SC you go into the DMV show them you have been issued one and get your handicap M/C tag.

Otherwise you need a prescription note from your doctor stating you need a handicap tag

Old 09-11-2009, 11:42 AM
TheJimer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by oldmsocko
Looks VERY nice. I sure hope you added some extra coverage to your insurance to cover the accessories. I know I sure did.
Thank you old Mike!

Actually, insurance is the reason that I record all the modifications and accessories I install. I also document with photos and copies of the actual receipts!

This is something I learned years ago when restoring Classic Cars; the list also comes in handy at time of sale; buyers seem to like that fact that you are organized and that they have a complete record of exactly what they are buying!

Old 09-11-2009, 01:01 PM
TheJimer
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by ajjacobsa
It wasn’t difficult at all; an MD must attest that your medical condition meets the requirements established by the MVD to receive a disability license plate. Because of the Federal HIPAA Privacy Law; states are precluded from inquiring into your medical condition.

It is funny that this subject should come up. In all the years that I had disability license plates on my bike and cars, I never had a problem until just a couple of days ago.

My wife and I pulled the trike into a handicapped parking place at a shopping mall, just as we are getting off the bike, a twenty something year old guy is getting into a car that is parked in the handicapped spot next to us with the engine running and an elderly woman sitting in the passenger seat. This guy aborts getting into his car, goes out of his way to look at my license plate and in a very arrogant demeaning tone, says: “you don’t look disabled to me; what’s wrong with you”! I quickly and not so politely replied: “none of your business”! This guy now reaches into his back pocket and pulls out a badge and arrogantly asks: “is it my business now”? To which I replied: “hell no and you can take that badge and shove it”; and I informed him that because of HIPAA laws, the state doesn’t even ask that question so it certainly is not any of his business.

This kid cop than goes into a rant and tells me that he is going to arrest me if I don’t tell him why I have a disability license plate. I put my hands out in a gesture for him to handcuff me and said: “lets go arrest me” he then tells me that I’m lucky because he doesn’t have the time now; I then ask for his badge number and he refuses to give it to me so I jot down his license plate number and told him: “I’ll bet your boss can find out your badge number”

As we speak, I am in the process of filing an abuse of authority complaint with his department. My wife said that I should have just answered his question and it would be all over. That is probably true but I could not in all good conscience allow this badge heavy rookie cop intimidate me when I knew he had no legal standing to do so.

Old 09-11-2009, 01:43 PM
carlo
Outstanding HDF Member

Jim what a DICK that kid cop is . Guess he has nothing better to do but impress his passenger in his car prob his Mother inlaw so she can tell her Daughter what a good cop her husband is LOL I have a problem with my right eye plus a bunch of other stuff DEAD MAN WALKING. Any way My Dad who is 85 years young said I should get a handicap plate for my vision problem. I said yea right Dad they will take my drivers license away. He looks at me kinda like a dog with his head cocked says yea your right. Never thought of that.

Last edited by carlo; 09-11-2009 at 01:53 PM.
Old 09-11-2009, 01:57 PM
carlo
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by TheJimer
Bob, Carlo, Rob and all those that sent me a PM; I'm working on posting some night photos.

Thanks for all the kind words; I just hope some of you that sent me a PM and said that you loved my trike are still in the market when I sell it!!!!!!!!!!
After alll you've done how could you think of such a thing. Selling your Trike.

Old 09-11-2009, 04:48 PM
TheJimer
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by carlo
Jim what a DICK that kid cop is . Guess he has nothing better to do but impress his passenger in his car prob his Mother inlaw so she can tell her Daughter what a good cop her husband is LOL I have a problem with my right eye plus a bunch of other stuff DEAD MAN WALKING. Any way My Dad who is 85 years young said I should get a handicap plate for my vision problem. I said yea right Dad they will take my drivers license away. He looks at me kinda like a dog with his head cocked says yea your right. Never thought of that.
Carlo, I think you have it exactly correct; I think that he was trying to impress his passenger. The sad truth is: all he did is make a big fool out himself!

Old 09-11-2009, 05:01 PM
TheJimer
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by carlo
After alll you've done how could you think of such a thing. Selling your Trike.
No Carlo, I’m not even considering selling my TG; I’m having too much fun with it right now to sell!

All I was saying is: some day when MOCO introduces their new and improved, problem free, water cooled trike; I hope some of the people that offered to buy my TG are sill around.

Old 09-14-2009, 02:21 AM
TheJimer
Road Warrior

All those that requested some night photos of my TG…here ya go. Sorry it took me so long to get around it!

Attached Thumbnails -100_0189.jpg   -100_0188.jpg   -100_0186.jpg   -100_0185.jpg   -100_0184.jpg  

Old 09-14-2009, 04:42 AM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

It looks really great. You can never have to many lights.

Quick Reply: More Mod’s = More Pictures