Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Flhxxx Fuel Mileage

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 08:25 PM
crow49
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flhxxx Fuel Mileage

I would like to know if there is any one other then me getting poor fuel mileage from their 2010 Street Glide Trike. I have noticed that riding around town I get about 30 miles per gal. and hwy I get about 26 miles per gal. Is there something I can do to improve my fuel mileage?

Old 09-03-2009, 08:46 PM
TheJimer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by crow49
I would like to know if there is any one other then me getting poor fuel mileage from their 2010 Street Glide Trike. I have noticed that riding around town I get about 30 miles per gal. and hwy I get about 26 miles per gal. Is there something I can do to improve my fuel mileage?
You don’t say how many miles you have; once the bike is broke in, the MPG will improve slightly. Also you state 30mpg in the city…there is nothing wrong with those numbers as far as I’m concerned. And 26 on the hwy tells me that you are probably running at 70-75 mph+; which seems to be the point were MPG starts to trend down or laboring at too low of a speed in 6 gear!

As far as doing something to improve MPG, you can change out the mufflers, air cleaner, do a down load and install a fuel management system for starters!

Old 09-03-2009, 09:12 PM
crow49
Intermediate

The hwy speed here in Florida is 70 and I travel about 75 - 80 miles per hr. This is the first bike I have owned that has a 6 speed and I'm not sure when to use it. The trike isn't broke in yet so as said I should see some improvement. I will probably change the exhaust and air intake after the break in.

I'm also having problems with the fuel gauge. When It says it's empty I still have 2 gals left in the tank.

Old 09-03-2009, 11:35 PM
TheJimer
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by crow49
<quote in-part>
I'm also having problems with the fuel gauge. When It says it's empty I still have 2 gals left in the tank.<end quote in-part>
My fuel gauge is the same and there have been several similar complaints about inaccurate fuel gauges over at the Touring Section so I suspect that is the nature of the beast. Better too much fuel rather than not enough! Once my fuel gauge gets inside of the half way mark, I watch the range remaining in the odometer/tripometer; it seems to be fairly accurate!

Old 09-04-2009, 06:00 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Since I have owned my 2010 Triglide I have not been in the 30 mpg range. Right now I've been on a road trip with the wife to TN and back for the past 7 days. I have gotten everything from 21.8 mpg to the best of 27 mpg. It seems the addition of the catalytic converter on the 2010 along with the lean AFR has sucked out enough power that it requires lots of throttle opening to maintain speed. I've gone up some hills at almost 80 mph in 6th gear only to watch the speed bleed off a good 5 or more mph and the throttle to be pretty close to wide open. At one point I wanted to see just what would happen on a long grade when I started at 80 mph and it began to labor up the grade. By the time it got 3/4 of the way to the top it had lost speed to where it dropped to 60 mph and disengaged the cruise control. Granted this is not what we are supposed to do, I should have turned off the cruise control and down shifted once it dropped below 70 mph, I just wanted to see what would happen not to mention I was ticked off at the lackluster performance. My dad on the other hand has none of these problems with his 09 Triglide. His will go up the hills in 6th gear and not loose speed. The other thing different between mine and my dads is my cruise control doesn't control very well. Going up a minor grade it will loose 3 or 4 mph then get caught back up to the set speed only to over shoot it by 5 and sometimes more mph at the crest of the hill. I was going up small hills at 75 mph and cresting at 80 - 83 mph all without touching a thing. It appears that HD has the throttle opening and closing so slow that it can't possibly maintain a steady speed. The only times it will run at the set point is on perfectly level roads.

I have a theory on why HD went to a 50mm induction module or as some would call it a throttle body, and the throttle by wire. They had a rash of crank shaft problems in 2007. When they went to 96" by using the stroker crank. They had a rash of crank shafts shifting on the touring bikes. In 2008 they made the change to throttle by wire and a 50mm induction module. By using throttle by wire they can control how fast a throttle opens and closes, the 50mm module by the nature of being larger than needed slowed down the velocity of the incoming air charge which helps kill some of the bottom end torque and shift it higher in the RPM range.

Old 09-04-2009, 07:18 AM
krw
Tourer

I would like better gas mileage, looking at the Power Commander V and Autotune

Old 09-04-2009, 11:08 AM
FLTR2008TRIKE
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by krw
I would like better gas mileage, looking at the Power Commander V and Autotune
Im currently running the PC V with Auto tune and my mileage changes with the weather and the gas supplier. I rode a 3800 mile trip from SC to Maryland , then to Milwaukee WI over to Iowa down to New Orleans and back to SC. My average was 33 mpg running 70 to 75 most of the time.

One fill up in Georgia I got 185 miles before hitting the reserve light. Riding around town here I get 36 - 38 if Im not riding it hard.

Most people are not using high test gas in they're cars so the high test gas sits longer, it doesnt give the good power we are lookin for and with our trikes working harder to keep rolling the fuel mileage suffers

I like my PC V with the motor not running as hot and it gave me more response from the engine. If you decide to get one, call Jamie or Keith at Fuel Moto one of our site sponsers and he will hook you up one for a good price already tuned for your needs.

Last edited by FLTR2008TRIKE; 09-04-2009 at 11:11 AM.
Old 09-09-2009, 06:34 AM
Ferggie
Advanced
Default milaege sucks

I just bought a new 2010 EG Ultra Limited with the 103 in it. Not broke in yet but riding on Saturday & Sunday (4 lane , no cruise) 60 - 70 mph I was getting around 25 mpg. I am aware that It should increase once broke in but I don't buy the HD stats saying that it will get around 54 on the hwy when I am getting 25 now. Sounds like a bunch of HD BULL to me. Just got rid of a BMW K1200LT that got a steady 49 -52 mpg riding 2 up all day any day.

Old 09-09-2009, 06:56 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Ferggie
I just bought a new 2010 EG Ultra Limited with the 103 in it. Not broke in yet but riding on Saturday & Sunday (4 lane , no cruise) 60 - 70 mph I was getting around 25 mpg. I am aware that It should increase once broke in but I don't buy the HD stats saying that it will get around 54 on the hwy when I am getting 25 now. Sounds like a bunch of HD BULL to me. Just got rid of a BMW K1200LT that got a steady 49 -52 mpg riding 2 up all day any day.
I think the poor mileage is a result of the cat they put in the exhaust along with the lean AFR which is making the 103 a pooch. The more you have to twist the throttle to make it move or keep it moving the worse the mileage will be. It seems the Moco likes to reuse old stats when they introduce a new product. I'd bet the mileage they quote is one they got back in 2003 when they introduced the 103 in the SE Road King. I know for damn sure the 101ft/lb torque they advertise the 103 as putting out is wishfull thinking. Maybe they got that torque figure back in 2003 but not 2010, no way no how.

Old 09-09-2009, 07:19 AM
FLTR2008TRIKE
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by msocko3
I think the poor mileage is a result of the cat they put in the exhaust along with the lean AFR which is making the 103 a pooch. The more you have to twist the throttle to make it move or keep it moving the worse the mileage will be. It seems the Moco likes to reuse old stats when they introduce a new product. I'd bet the mileage they quote is one they got back in 2003 when they introduced the 103 in the SE Road King. I know for damn sure the 101ft/lb torque they advertise the 103 as putting out is wishfull thinking. Maybe they got that torque figure back in 2003 but not 2010, no way no how.

The torque figures Harley qoutes is measured from the crank. Not at the rear wheel. You typically lose 30% of the torque through the drive train

Quick Reply: Flhxxx Fuel Mileage