Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Flhxxx Fuel Mileage

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 09:24 AM
coupe55
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2010

Originally Posted by Noyz1
I've read a few reviews about the Tri-Glide since I have one on order. Alot of owners are complaining about the fuel mileage and the performance of the engine on slight inclines. I saw one reply on this site stating it's due to the cat. Has anyone bypassed the cat yet? Being stationed here in Japan, alot of us by a rice burner and the first thing we do is rip off the cat and update the chips on the computers.
2010 was the first year for the CATS on all bikes/trikes! They were of course Cali and CVO models that have had cats for several years. The combination of the CAT, lean fuel conditions from the factory and the EPA, "overlapping Cams" Have produced sluggish, hot, and less fuel efficient Trikes in the higher gears.

The Cats are going this winter but we will need to wait until spring for enough relative info to evaluate. Replacement aftermarket pipes are being developed as I type but none are in existance as of now for the 2010 Tri Glide.

We can assume from past experience the best resolution will be open pipes, high flow AC and a more agressive cam, plus a tune! Different owners will be jumping off at different points. I am somewhat satisfied with just opening up the CAT and adding some cooling mods but will not be able to verify until summer. The more efficient the engine is at crusing RPM the better the overdrive gear will feel. I don't think it was meant to be used under 60-70 but believe it will feel better at 55-60 when you get the engine breathing better.

The guys with the 09 Tri's are your best source for info on the 6th gear. They have not been hindered by the stuffed up headpipes. The majority of the 2010 owners won't know until spring if we have woke that gear up!

Old 12-31-2009, 12:18 PM
trikejoe
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile smile on my face...

got the '10 TG in oct. love it. first harley. yes, the mileage isn't what I thought it would be. My gauge is also about 2 gallons inaccurate(but go to trip meter under half tank).
With hip surgery, this is all I can manage, so the trike is the ride. Still in break in period, so the jury is out. I'm not looking forward to spring and summer with the hot temp. feedback.

Old 12-31-2009, 01:56 PM
coupe55
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Spring, just aroune the corner!

Originally Posted by trikejoe
got the '10 TG in oct. love it. first harley. yes, the mileage isn't what I thought it would be. My gauge is also about 2 gallons inaccurate(but go to trip meter under half tank).
With hip surgery, this is all I can manage, so the trike is the ride. Still in break in period, so the jury is out. I'm not looking forward to spring and summer with the hot temp. feedback.
Not to worry, we are just talking about the extended idling periods in Summer traffic. Make sure your EITMS is engaged and follow the post of some of the 2010 Tri owners. I and others have gone with the 10 Row Jagg Oil Cooler, some including me have went with the fan on the cooler and the Lenale Fan for the heads.

Keep it in the wind until break in and you may want to lose the CAT and tune. Most went with synthetic oil also as it burns off at a higher temperture than dino oil. Most are just worried about extended engine service and you have a good Trike, just a few mods away from not having to worry about it. Enjoy your new Tri Glide.

Old 12-31-2009, 01:59 PM
Tri glide 10
Cruiser

Keep in coming Jim ....

Old 12-31-2009, 02:12 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

My gas gauge seems decent enough but then I always take them with a grain of salt. I always reset one of my trip odometers each time I fill up and monitor that vs the gas gauge. This past August when I took my 1st long trip I just about ran out of gas. I thought for sure I should be able to go 180 miles on my tank, boy was I wrong. I manage 21.6 mpg and just about ran out of gas. The range function on the odometer seems pretty close to being accurate. When I rolled into the gas station I had about .2 gallon left in the tank. Once that happened I made sure I stopped for gas a bit more often. I have been seeing anything from 21.6mpg to 27mpg, this is a 2010 TG.

Old 12-31-2009, 05:30 PM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

On my 09 TG I ranged from 32 to 41 mpg.The best milage I get is running in 5th gear at between 60 to 65 mph. The worst is in 6th gear between 70 to 75 mph. My gas gauge is quite accurate but I always watch my milage.

Old 01-01-2010, 11:01 AM
crow49
Intermediate

I ride a 10 Street Glide Trike and I have about 6,000 miles on it now. I started riding it in September. In the beginning before break in I was only getting 26 miles per gal. after the break in I started getting 32 miles per gal no matter if it was hwy or local. I live in SW Florida and the temps are very hot around here until January and then it gets only in the 60's. The FLHXXX is lighter and I don't carry a passenger that often, so my gas mileage is ok.

Old 01-01-2010, 11:02 AM
Boom
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default gas gauge error

Originally Posted by oldmsocko
My gas gauge is quite accurate but I always watch my milage.
Correct me if I'm wrong but haven't all the gas gauge complaints been on the '10 touring bikes/trikes? I've noticed mine is also inaccurate---reads empty but 2 gallons left. Has anyone taken theirs in for service and had this error corrected or does service dept. say "they all do that by design" ? I've only got 525 miles on myTG and find the error annoying! For what it's worth, I will complain at my 1000 mile service.

Old 01-01-2010, 12:45 PM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Boom
Correct me if I'm wrong but haven't all the gas gauge complaints been on the '10 touring bikes/trikes? I've noticed mine is also inaccurate---reads empty but 2 gallons left. Has anyone taken theirs in for service and had this error corrected or does service dept. say "they all do that by design" ? I've only got 525 miles on myTG and find the error annoying! For what it's worth, I will complain at my 1000 mile service.
I actually have not noticed any complaints about gas gauges whether it be on an 09 or 10 TG until this thread. I certainly could have missed that.

Old 01-01-2010, 01:48 PM
Boom
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by oldmsocko
I actually have not noticed any complaints about gas gauges whether it be on an 09 or 10 TG until this thread. I certainly could have missed that.
I should have mentioned I noticed the comment on other forums also but wasn't sure I could have referenced that. Oops!

Quick Reply: Flhxxx Fuel Mileage