Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Tri-Glide Issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 05:05 AM
paiceman
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Msocko3:

I had an 03 Lehamn conversion and they too had a very slight trunk leak issue, however, this was easily fixed. They had no locking issues as the lock is a latch type on the passenger side of the trunk. Looked nicer and worked good, it also had a cable attached that we had come up under the passenger seat so if the lock did not open for some reason one could pull on the cable and open the lock that way.

Not the best security, but if someone wants in any bike it's pretty easy

Old 06-08-2009, 06:19 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by paiceman
Msocko3:

I had an 03 Lehamn conversion and they too had a very slight trunk leak issue, however, this was easily fixed. They had no locking issues as the lock is a latch type on the passenger side of the trunk. Looked nicer and worked good, it also had a cable attached that we had come up under the passenger seat so if the lock did not open for some reason one could pull on the cable and open the lock that way.

Not the best security, but if someone wants in any bike it's pretty easy
I wonder if a leaking trunk is a Lehman trade mark.

Old 06-08-2009, 07:30 AM
zoood
Former Sponsor
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Tri-Glide quirks

I had the liberty of examining a Tri-Glide 1st hand yesterday. The owner had me remove the plastic mid frame air deflectors to install my "No More Fried Thighs!!!" heat deflectors. For riders that are not in the market to do this. I would suggest that you check the tightness of the 2 bottom bolts that hold the Motor Company's deflectors in position. The lower bolts arent hard to get to. But on this individual's Tri-Glide. The bolts were screwed in, but only finger tight!

I had also looked at the trunk lid seal. Personally, what a POS design! The opening of the trunk, where they placed their flimsy rubber seal. The trunk opening was just flat. Where there should have been a 3/16 lip made into the glass body, all around the opening. This lip, had they added it. Would reinforce the rubber type seal they used.

If I end up fixing this trunk opening for this rider. I would remove the MO Co's rubber seal. I would then use the MO Co's side panel/side cover rubber "U" channel (that they do sell behind the counter)and cap that inner lip all the ways around. I would then also adhere an undetermined (height at this time) rubber seal. One that would look something like a 1/2 or 1/3 (side view of a rubber tubing. I would adhere this around on the inner face of the trunk lid. Between the plastic center insert and the raised lip. I would also entertain the idea of drilling 3 weep holes in the base/underside lip of the trunk lid.

RJ

Old 06-08-2009, 12:00 PM
ON-3
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've notified the dealer about the leaking trunk but I won't be taking it in until it's due for the 1K service. In the mean time, I removed the bottom liner, put in a piece of non skid,waffled shelf liner and a 20qt. storage container w/locking lid. At least I'll be able to keep things dry until this issue gets resolved.

Old 06-08-2009, 11:30 PM
PopDukes
Cruiser

I had my bars changed at the dealer. Provided two more inches. sadly, at the moment I cannot remeember which ones. Believe he used current touring bars from catalog. I;ll try and ask tomorrow.

Old 06-09-2009, 05:39 AM
paiceman
3rd Gear

Zood you won't happen to have pictures of the trunk fix you wrote about did you. I was thinking of using a refrigerator gasket and also drilling weep holes, but I like your idea better

Old 06-09-2009, 06:20 AM
zoood
Former Sponsor

Only in my head. However I was informed thru an email from a triker in here JSH that he's interested in having me do the fix that I wrote in this thread to his Trike. I'll fix his. I'm not interested in doing everyone else's. However, what I do to his. I'll provide a link to my site for anyone that needs to do it their self. It will include part numbers and required seals and proceedure. Probably won't be for about 2 weeks. I'm in the process of developing new products for trikes and dressers to be released within the next month. JSH was so kind to ride over here and let me disect his Tri-Glide. I am presently making something new. After it is finished and mounted on his trike. I'll let him reveal it to you all. Until then. It's basically a secret for now but it will surely personalize his trike.

RJ

Zood you won't happen to have pictures of the trunk fix you wrote about did you. I was thinking of using a refrigerator gasket and also drilling weep holes, but I like your idea better

Old 06-10-2009, 05:06 AM
paiceman
3rd Gear

ZOOD, I and I am sure others would appreciate any pictures - part numbers you can provide. I must be missing something what is your web site?

Thanks

PAICEMAN

Old 06-10-2009, 06:41 AM
zoood
Former Sponsor

I'm a sponsor in here. I build the No More Fried Thighs V-Twin Heat Deflectors.

ZOOD, I and I am sure others would appreciate any pictures - part numbers you can provide. I must be missing something what is your web site?

Thanks

PAICEMAN

Old 06-10-2009, 07:28 PM
norm9533
Intermediate
Default Trunk Leaking

Wife just took delivery on a 09 dark blue pearl tri glide. got caught in down poor on way home, trunk leaks with updated gasket put on before we took delivery. Looking inside after we got it home not only is the trunk lid gasket is leaking but also where the wires for the tag light comes in (top left side inside of trunk) and the lock latch release.

Attached Thumbnails Tri-Glide Issues-p6100170.jpg  

Quick Reply: Tri-Glide Issues