Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Tri-Glide Issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 08:25 PM
TheJimer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by virginiasquire1
I purchased my Tri Glide in January 2009. I now have 6800 miles on it. I have experienced the following problems: Leaking trunk, high heat and pinging. The trike has been through the factory recall but still leaks. The high heat, as I understand, is coming from extremely lean fuel mixture which also causes pinging. I have been told that a Power Commander or other computer driven power modules can fix that problem. I also understand that it will also provide additional power and better fuel mileage.

I have decided to change the pipes and get a Power Commander to alleviate the pinging and help the fuel mileage. To help the heat issue, I have also been told to get the Baker +1 oil pan and install fans behind the oil cooler. Also, there is an engine fan that is an after market unit that I am told works. Why doesn't HD make the cooling fan to fit the 103-110 engines? I forgot to mention that changing the intake is also in order. Expensive yes, should one have to do that to cure the ills, no.
Virginia,

What oil cooler fan are you planning on using?

I have a Jagg 10 fin horizontal oil cooler on back order and I'm thinking about installing a Big Sky oil cooler fan with an auto thermostat ; however the people at Jagg don’t think that it will fit behind their cooler. I plan on calling Big Sky on Monday and get their opinion

Jim

Last edited by TheJimer; 06-06-2009 at 11:22 PM.
Old 06-06-2009, 08:48 PM
ON-3
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Picked up my new Tri Glide today, I asked the sales person about the leaking trunk issue and was told that they thought it had been taken care of. He said they have sold four others and only one had a leak. I felt in the trunk and it seemed OK; when I got home I took the headset box out of the trunk and it was soaked. I took the liner out and the bottom side was soaked also. I'll certainly give them an opportunity (3 actually) and then it's Lemon Law time. For as much as they cost this shouldn't be an issue.

Old 06-07-2009, 06:22 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by ON-3
I'll certainly give them an opportunity (3 actually) and then it's Lemon Law time. For as much as they cost this shouldn't be an issue.
Call the Moco and tell them they have 3 cracks then its lemon law time. I think more people need to do this. My dad has been going round and round with this problem. They have replaced the gasket, then adjusted his door. I road the trike through a down pour to the dealers so the Moco rep could look at it the next day. When I got to the dealer the trunk was dry as a bone. The next day they trickled some water on it while the Moco rep video taped it and found no water in the trunk so she proclaims the issue closed. The next day my dad takes it home and washes it, trunk had water in it. He isn't spraying it hard, not harder than most people would. Needless to say the issue isn't closed. We have been talking about putting a camera in the trunk and washing it so we can video the water coming in, then giving the Moco a copy. I'm sitting and watching because I have a deposit on a 2010. The 1st thing I'm having them do is wash it with me present, and I do mean wash it. If I find water in the trunk they can keep it. I don't need to drop 30k+ to have the aggravation.

Old 06-07-2009, 08:12 AM
bubba47
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tri-Glide Problems

I bought two Tri-Glides (one in Nov 08 and one in Jan 09) and I have all of the issues quoted in this forum on both trikes. Both trikes have been in the shop and least twice for the trunk leaks (lemon law applies at three). One of em has been in the shop for two weeks for the trunk leaks as I write this post. The leak is now coming from the gasket around the locking mechanism, however, it also has leaked from the door gasket and the bolt holes for the tour pack. I washing the second one today to check for leaks after two visits to the dealer.

Both trikes have parking brake issues. One of em was fixed by taking both rear tires off and adjusting the brake (requires two non-resusable nuts to accomplish. 12 step procedure in the tech manual). The other one is nearing the point where it will also require this procedure (after it can't be adjusted using the procedure in the owners manual anymore).

One trike has the pinging problem when idling and I'm taking it in next week to see if they can/will fix it (my dealer here in VA Beach is not the most motivated I've seen).

I've also found an issue on both trikes that I haven't seen here yet. Both trikes have an exhaust leak in the same place (right under the X in the "Six Speed" logo on the tranny. I first noticed it after washing when I cranked it and noticed a cloud of condensation on the tranny cover. Didn't think anything of it until my uncle cranked the second one after washing and found the same cloud in the same place. He put his finger (carefully due to hot pipes) between the pipe and the frame and felt air blowing out. The one that's been in the shop for two weeks is getting this fixed now and the other one will be taken in next week.

While I do love to ride my Tri-Glide, I think they ought to provide a workable fix for the leaks in an almost $40,000 vehicle.

Old 06-07-2009, 01:46 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by bubba47
I bought two Tri-Glides (one in Nov 08 and one in Jan 09) and I have all of the issues quoted in this forum on both trikes. Both trikes have been in the shop and least twice for the trunk leaks (lemon law applies at three). One of em has been in the shop for two weeks for the trunk leaks as I write this post. The leak is now coming from the gasket around the locking mechanism, however, it also has leaked from the door gasket and the bolt holes for the tour pack. I washing the second one today to check for leaks after two visits to the dealer.

Both trikes have parking brake issues. One of em was fixed by taking both rear tires off and adjusting the brake (requires two non-resusable nuts to accomplish. 12 step procedure in the tech manual). The other one is nearing the point where it will also require this procedure (after it can't be adjusted using the procedure in the owners manual anymore).

One trike has the pinging problem when idling and I'm taking it in next week to see if they can/will fix it (my dealer here in VA Beach is not the most motivated I've seen).

I've also found an issue on both trikes that I haven't seen here yet. Both trikes have an exhaust leak in the same place (right under the X in the "Six Speed" logo on the tranny. I first noticed it after washing when I cranked it and noticed a cloud of condensation on the tranny cover. Didn't think anything of it until my uncle cranked the second one after washing and found the same cloud in the same place. He put his finger (carefully due to hot pipes) between the pipe and the frame and felt air blowing out. The one that's been in the shop for two weeks is getting this fixed now and the other one will be taken in next week.

While I do love to ride my Tri-Glide, I think they ought to provide a workable fix for the leaks in an almost $40,000 vehicle.
Wow talk about problems. I'm starting to get this feeling that the Moco won't have the issues adressed by the 2010 model year I think they have their heads in the sand. I'm wondering if the folks with a conversion such as a Motor Trike conversion has any water leaks? I was looking that them and might pick up a nice used Ultra and do a conversion if the 2010 turns out to be a disapointment.

Old 06-07-2009, 02:01 PM
Mr. Wizard
Club Member
Received 2,043 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Originally Posted by msocko3
I'm wondering if the folks with a conversion such as a Motor Trike conversion has any water leaks? I was looking that them and might pick up a nice used Ultra and do a conversion if the 2010 turns out to be a disapointment.
I was discussing this a while back with your Dad. My Motor Trike doesn't leak. The trunk has two exterior handles that have adjustable levers on the inside. They pull the door against the seal when turned 90* to close. It's not a latch.

Some of the other MT owners are saying the same. No leaks

Old 06-07-2009, 02:49 PM
Ironhorsepilot
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We had a work on trike day. We fixed the trunk leak a few weeks ago, and then it was hard to close and would pop open if I hit a bump. We fixed that today. Took the inner panel off, and discovered that the bracket that holds the latch pins was bent. The one on the left was further out than the one on the right. So he bent the right one out to match the left and voila....it now latches securely and closes with just a normal "slam".

Old 06-07-2009, 05:51 PM
ON-3
Cruiser

I have a Trike Shop conversion on an '06 - no leaks ever!

Old 06-07-2009, 06:20 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Mr. Wizard
I was discussing this a while back with your Dad. My Motor Trike doesn't leak. The trunk has two exterior handles that have adjustable levers on the inside. They pull the door against the seal when turned 90* to close. It's not a latch.

Some of the other MT owners are saying the same. No leaks
If only the Moco could get their act together. I really want to buy a new bike, nothing wrong with used just wasn't looking to buy and then build. I don't want to trike my present Ultra I want to keep it as is and ride it, I have it exactly the way I want it. If I do a conversion I'm going to pick up a nice used Ultra then go through the engine to get it reliable and make some power. Was thinking of finding another 06 and then doing a HQ heavy touring build which is exactly like my present HQ Touring build just with 9.5:1 compression vs the 10.1 I have now. Right now if I was to do a conversion Motor Trike is at the top of my list. There is a HD dealer in Beaver Falls Pa that is a Motor Trike installer.

I see that ON-3 has weighed in with a Trike Shop conversion with no leaks. So that makes 2 different brands that have no leaks, kind of makes the Moco look bad considering they had 2 years to engineer it and get i right. Not to mention they jumped into bed with Lehman who already has been in the buisness. Wonder if the Lehman conversions leak water.

Old 06-07-2009, 08:40 PM
ON-3
Cruiser

msocko3; Blackburn's in Medina, OH is a Motor Trike dealer and Buckeye Trike in Akron does the Trike Shop. Both shops have a good reputation.

Quick Reply: Tri-Glide Issues