Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Tri-Glide Issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 08:42 AM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by paiceman
Couple of points on these issues and this vehicle, my opinions.

The trunk leak is way down the list for a corporation that is trying to stay a live in these times. They will and probably are working on it, but it's not a priority.

The brake issues are something I just don't get. Lehman has made Trikes for about 20-25 years. I had an Ultra converted in 03 and the only issue we had was a brkoen caliper after 12,000 miles and after 25,000 miles still had original brakes and this after riding 140 miles once with the parking brake on.

Overall the TG is a better running and handling machine than the Lehman conversions, but these small items should have been worked out prior to introduction. Typical company, test it in the lab, it works and lets rush it out to bring in the revenue.

Mine still leaks after I thought the door gasket would work and the lock will not lock.
In response to your couple points. I understand what you are saying about a company struggling for their life that my trunk leak is not a priority to them. I can assure you that it is a priority to me. After an investment of 33,000+ I don't feel that I should have to put my luggage into garbage bags to travel. Wet cloths and trunk is not a good thing when your traveling.

I have not ( fingers crossed ) had any rear brake issues.

Old 06-01-2009, 08:51 PM
triglide1
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by oldmsocko
Well I had my Trike at the dealer on Saturday. They installed the down load that was supposed to correct the pinging issue and low and behold it did. They adjusted the trunk and it still leaks. No improvement. Will talk to the dealer on Tuesday.
Took my Tri-Glide to the dealer Sunday to see if they had the new map to correct the pinging issue and they said that Harley was not aware of any issue with pinging and they did not have a new map for the Tri-Glide. What's up with this.

Old 06-01-2009, 10:35 PM
carlo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My trunk opens when I hit a bump. I ajusted the pins on the trunk door so far so good. Lifter has to be replaced on the front cylinder. my brakes squek. Prob from brake dust. I think the moter company should of used a larger roter for the rear brakes with a larger pad. For better stopping power and longer roter and pad life. Be nice if they came out with a up grade for the rear brakes. But I still like my Tri Glide.

Old 06-02-2009, 03:42 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Couple of points on these issues and this vehicle, my opinions.

The trunk leak is way down the list for a corporation that is trying to stay a live in these times. They will and probably are working on it, but it's not a priority.
It shouldn't be a low priority item if its going to keep people from buying. I have money down on a 2010. If they can't address the trunk leak on my dads 09 I'm going to make sure I'm present when my 2010 comes in and the 1st thing thats going to happen is its getting a bath. If theres water in the trunk they can keep it. I feel bad for the dealer because they have tried to work through the issues with my dads, its the Moco who doesn't seem to get it. I just won't part with 33k and have to put my luggage in garbage bags to keep it from getting wet.

At the very least the Moco could include a free box of Hefty bags with each purchase of a Tri Glide.

Last edited by msocko3; 06-02-2009 at 03:56 AM.
Old 06-02-2009, 04:34 AM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by triglide1
Took my Tri-Glide to the dealer Sunday to see if they had the new map to correct the pinging issue and they said that Harley was not aware of any issue with pinging and they did not have a new map for the Tri-Glide. What's up with this.
I'm not sure what is going on. I found out about the download from customer service at HD. His name is John. He was aware of the pinging issue as he was the one that told me about the new download coming out to correct the problem. I think it all depsnds on who people talk to.

Old 06-04-2009, 05:07 AM
paiceman
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't believe mine runs hot, when it's 80 out and sitting at a light it changes to one cylinder, but my question to the forum is aside from the dip stick temp how do you know you are running hot? I've been riding for over 40 years and usually can just tell, but this bike has the deflectors on and with the underside exhaust it must be hiding the heat

Thanks

Old 06-05-2009, 05:55 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

I don't believe mine runs hot, when it's 80 out and sitting at a light it changes to one cylinder, but my question to the forum is aside from the dip stick temp how do you know you are running hot? I've been riding for over 40 years and usually can just tell, but this bike has the deflectors on and with the underside exhaust it must be hiding the heat

Thanks
When your setting at a light you mean its changing to one cyl on its own? If it is then its hot, that part of the heat management kicking in when it starts getting warm under the collar.

Old 06-06-2009, 06:16 AM
paiceman
3rd Gear
Default Heat

Yep, when sitting at a light she will sump to one cyl, I understand that is part of the management system, but as such I would consider that normal. My 07 Standard gets hot as well and when at a light in hot weather she will start to lug and run rough. I've always assumed that in doing that she is running hot as well.

Old 06-06-2009, 03:35 PM
virginiasquire1
Novice
Default Tri Glide Issues

I purchased my Tri Glide in January 2009. I now have 6800 miles on it. I have experienced the following problems: Leaking trunk, high heat and pinging. The trike has been through the factory recall but still leaks. The high heat, as I understand, is coming from extremely lean fuel mixture which also causes pinging. I have been told that a Power Commander or other computer driven power modules can fix that problem. I also understand that it will also provide additional power and better fuel mileage.

I have decided to change the pipes and get a Power Commander to alleviate the pinging and help the fuel mileage. To help the heat issue, I have also been told to get the Baker +1 oil pan and install fans behind the oil cooler. Also, there is an engine fan that is an after market unit that I am told works. Why doesn't HD make the cooling fan to fit the 103-110 engines? I forgot to mention that changing the intake is also in order. Expensive yes, should one have to do that to cure the ills, no.

Old 06-06-2009, 05:49 PM
carlo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by virginiasquire1
I purchased my Tri Glide in January 2009. I now have 6800 miles on it. I have experienced the following problems: Leaking trunk, high heat and pinging. The trike has been through the factory recall but still leaks. The high heat, as I understand, is coming from extremely lean fuel mixture which also causes pinging. I have been told that a Power Commander or other computer driven power modules can fix that problem. I also understand that it will also provide additional power and better fuel mileage.

I have decided to change the pipes and get a Power Commander to alleviate the pinging and help the fuel mileage. To help the heat issue, I have also been told to get the Baker +1 oil pan and install fans behind the oil cooler. Also, there is an engine fan that is an after market unit that I am told works. Why doesn't HD make the cooling fan to fit the 103-110 engines? I forgot to mention that changing the intake is also in order. Expensive yes, should one have to do that to cure the ills, no.
Doing the same SE SlipOn's With the SE air filter and a Power Module cost 1K The lifter noise was not a lifter but a open ACR Auto Comression Release valve. They have to remove the gas tank and rocker cover to get to it. As far as the Trunk leak mine leaks but im not going let them touch it yet. The Service Manager said there is a 3 step fix First the trunk gasket then sealer. If that don't work then replace the trunk door. I'll wait till its a one time fix what ever that will be. I don't have the time or want my Tri messed with as a experiment. I'll keep you all up dated on the ACR fix and the Pipes Air Filter and Map. Hope they don't nick my Bike up doing the work.

Quick Reply: Tri-Glide Issues