Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Tri-Glide Issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2022, 02:48 AM
sloufoot
Club Member
Received 4,091 Likes on 3,492 Posts

Originally Posted by motopete
2016 Tri Glide. Won't spin the reverse motor. R blinks when button pushed. Yes, it's in neutral and motor running. Have used it many times. At the same time the "check engine" light has come on, stays on. I cycled the reverse circuit breaker off and back on a couple times. No problem there. Any ideas?
Start with the error messages from the check engine light coming on, then also do a search for reverse motor problems or reverse motor posts in general. There are many with reverse problems.

There are many people that use the reverse like they would in a car. It was never meant to be used as such. Sadly the motor is a small motor that is easily over worked especially when held in for more than a few seconds at a time. there are also problems with water, and the internal grease getting into the brushes. This or just plain wearing out from use. Check to see if you are getting the power to the motor when the button is pushed and go from there. There is also a relay to check.

There are motor kits for rebuilding and or complete replacement of the motor for sale on EBay.

The following users liked this post:
motopete (03-20-2022)
Old 03-20-2022, 08:37 AM
motopete
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey, thanks. Will follow through with your suggestions. I know the reverse system is "delicate" and have used it sparsely and never to back uphill.

Old 03-22-2022, 07:12 AM
motopete
1st Gear
Default circuit diagram for reverse

Can anyone help with the circuit between the R handlebar switch and the solenoid on the reverse electric motor? Battery is over 12V; 150 amp circuit breaker is OK and I have 12V on the main feed to the solenoid. However, when R handlebar switch is pushed I do NOT get 12V at the activator/trigger feed on the solinoid and dashboard R blinks. What is between the switch and the starter solenoid, a relay? Where?
Error code is P1775, which means error in reverse system. PN is 70900121A, but I don't know what that is.
I know the reverse motor is an issue and have avoided using it, though it did work. I doubt the motor is the issue, especially since it is not getting 12V at the activator on the solenoid.
I really don't want to buy yet another service manual and trike supplement. I have so many manuals - ha! but not the right one - and I don't know how long I'll keep this Tri Glide.
Any help would be appreciated.

Old 03-23-2022, 04:31 AM
sloufoot
Club Member
Received 4,091 Likes on 3,492 Posts

Can anyone help with the circuit between the R handlebar switch and the solenoid on the reverse electric motor? Battery is over 12V; 150 amp circuit breaker is OK and I have 12V on the main feed to the solenoid. However, when R handlebar switch is pushed I do NOT get 12V at the activator/trigger feed on the solinoid and dashboard R blinks. What is between the switch and the starter solenoid, a relay? Where?
Error code is P1775, which means error in reverse system. PN is 70900121A, but I don't know what that is.
I know the reverse motor is an issue and have avoided using it, though it did work. I doubt the motor is the issue, especially since it is not getting 12V at the activator on the solenoid.
I really don't want to buy yet another service manual and trike supplement. I have so many manuals - ha! but not the right one - and I don't know how long I'll keep this Tri Glide.
Any help would be appreciated.
Sounds like the ECM has the reverse locked out. That might include the neutral sensing, or a parking brake sensor if you have one. You might try to clear the error code from memory and see if that changes anything or if it comes back again.
I'm not sure on your year model what lockouts the reverse has. Make sure of all the control fuses also.
If you go to the Harley Davidson web site and register your trike there with the serial # you can access their wiring diagrams for your machine. You can also blow up the drawings and also print them out.

Old 03-25-2022, 03:00 PM
motopete
1st Gear

Did all the things suggested including a print out of the wiring diagram, but gave up when I couldn't get 12V to the trigger on the solanoid near the 150 amp circit breaker. Called the dealer and made an appointment. At least the service manager listened to me and agreed it's probably not the electric motor itself. Thanks for all the info.

sloufoot (03-26-2022)
Old 04-07-2022, 12:54 PM
jerbear4196
Novice
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Can't get the intercom to turn on.

I bought a 2022 Tri-Glide. I can't get the intercom to turn on. I start at Home and then go to Com. I assume the com is the headphone icon on the home screen.# 14. I can highlight it, but nothing happens. I touch it, I enter with the hand switch, but nothing happens. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 06-20-2022, 03:15 PM
jerbear4196
Novice

Got it fixed. The radio unit was bad. Dealer changed it out with a Tri-Glide on the showroom floor. They have to send the unit in for replacement. Life is good.

The following 2 users liked this post by jerbear4196:
Derbywiz (06-30-2022), TOHOG (02-21-2024)
Old 06-20-2022, 03:22 PM
jerbear4196
Novice

Did all the things suggested including a print out of the wiring diagram, but gave up when I couldn't get 12V to the trigger on the solanoid near the 150 amp circit breaker. Called the dealer and made an appointment. At least the service manager listened to me and agreed it's probably not the electric motor itself. Thanks for all the info.
Make sure your parking brake is not engaged. My R flashed when I forget to disengage my Brake. ??

IzzoQuazzo (06-20-2022)
Old 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
zoom14151
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finding a neutral

I’ve got over 5000 miles on my 21 trike and still have problems getting neutral the best way I’ve found to get into neutral is while I’m rolling or if I stick my foot as far forward as I can and just try to pick it up in the neutral I have the best luck

Old 02-13-2024, 03:51 PM
CoolBreeze3646
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 22,049 Likes on 7,635 Posts

Originally Posted by zoom14151
I’ve got over 5000 miles on my 21 trike and still have problems getting neutral the best way I’ve found to get into neutral is while I’m rolling or if I stick my foot as far forward as I can and just try to pick it up in the neutral I have the best luck
Make sure your primary fluid level is not too high in the primary and your clutch is adjusted correctly. See picture below.

DK Custom (02-17-2024)

Quick Reply: Tri-Glide Issues