Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Tri-Glide Issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 05:44 PM
SanOnofreTriGlide
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DiselDevilDog, So I got the rotors off and took them to the dealer I got the trike from, and explained the situation and the service bulletin. When I bought the trike from the dealer they said they completed a full service inspection and only had to replace the front tire. Well somebody did a poor job with inspecting the rotors as they were scored and the pads too. Somebody missed that and as I explained this to them the said they were sorry and order a new set for me. Great job OC Harley. It's take a week to 10 days for them to come, so I took my old rotors and had my mechanic turn and true them and put new pads on and I'm back on the road again. I'll use the new rotors for the future brake repair when needed. If I knew how to post photos I would, maybe someone will skill me a bit. My thanks for my responders this is a great site.

Old 07-27-2014, 08:42 AM
DiselDevilDog
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Rotors

Your welcome brother!

That's why we are all here, ride free!

diesel

Old 07-30-2014, 08:12 AM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

Received 689 Likes on 412 Posts

Originally Posted by SanOnofreTriGlide
DiselDevilDog, So I got the rotors off and took them to the dealer I got the trike from, and explained the situation and the service bulletin. When I bought the trike from the dealer they said they completed a full service inspection and only had to replace the front tire. Well somebody did a poor job with inspecting the rotors as they were scored and the pads too. Somebody missed that and as I explained this to them the said they were sorry and order a new set for me. Great job OC Harley. It's take a week to 10 days for them to come, so I took my old rotors and had my mechanic turn and true them and put new pads on and I'm back on the road again. I'll use the new rotors for the future brake repair when needed. If I knew how to post photos I would, maybe someone will skill me a bit. My thanks for my responders this is a great site.
Won't you have to return the bad rotors (after spending money to true the originals) in order to get the new ones under warranty? Or are you paying for the new ones?

Old 07-31-2014, 08:37 AM
SanOnofreTriGlide
6th Gear

Gary, no didn't have to return the old ones for the new ones as the HD dealership ordered the news ones for me to cover the technical service bulletin, I got them free. So in essence I have the original ones turned and trued and back on with new pads, the new ones will be used when these originals finally go in the future. So my next question and I'm sure its been approached on this site and when I get more intune with the structure of this site I'm sure the answer is already posted. But what is the consensus about using full synthetic oils in the trike. My mobile mechanic wasn't very supportive of it, why, not sure, so let me hear from experience. I have a 2011 TriGlide.

Old 07-31-2014, 01:59 PM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

Gary, no didn't have to return the old ones for the new ones as the HD dealership ordered the news ones for me to cover the technical service bulletin, I got them free. So in essence I have the original ones turned and trued and back on with new pads, the new ones will be used when these originals finally go in the future. So my next question and I'm sure its been approached on this site and when I get more intune with the structure of this site I'm sure the answer is already posted. But what is the consensus about using full synthetic oils in the trike. My mobile mechanic wasn't very supportive of it, why, not sure, so let me hear from experience. I have a 2011 TriGlide.
Glad to see you made out OK.

I wouldn't use anything but syn. For me it's cheaper in the long run because I don't have to change it as often so that saves me on the price of oil(even though syn is a bit more expensive) I don't have to buy as much and I'm saving my labor time changing the oil and also I'm not contributing to the land fills as much.
This is a very opinionated subject. There is nothing wrong with dino oil as long as you change it often enough as recommended. Syn has a better track record in high heat situations.
What brand you use is up to you - my thought is any brand name oil will be fine. Personally I only use motorcycle specific oils. Many others will say auto oil is OK too. That's their choice. I won't do it.

I also believe in the 3 different oils for the 3 different applications - I don't believe in the 1 oil fits all thinking. Others have different ideas.

Old 07-31-2014, 03:45 PM
SanOnofreTriGlide
6th Gear

Thanks Gary, I was sort of expecting this as I use only synthetic in my autos including the hotrod. So it would seem logical to go that way in the trike. With the new technology of fuel injection, cleaner engines, synthetic oils should be the choice. I'm not sure why my mobile mechanic is against synthetic oil, I've heard the older bikes aren't very receptive to synthetic especially if it leaks. What is your brand of choice?

Old 07-31-2014, 04:24 PM
Postal Trucker
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks Gary, I was sort of expecting this as I use only synthetic in my autos including the hotrod. So it would seem logical to go that way in the trike. With the new technology of fuel injection, cleaner engines, synthetic oils should be the choice. I'm not sure why my mobile mechanic is against synthetic oil, I've heard the older bikes aren't very receptive to synthetic especially if it leaks. What is your brand of choice?
I change my oil to synthetic after the 1000 mile service. I've used HD Syn 3, Mobile 1 and for my previous oil change at 25000 I started using Lucas synthetic. The Lucas seems to be the best choice since my engine seems to run quieter. I also use this in the primary, but use Red Line Heavy Duty Shock Proof for the transmission (wanted something that could be seen on the dipstick). Everything seems to run great and smooth.

For what it's worth I found Lucas at O'Rielly Auto Parts and a couple of HD dealers for around $10 per quart.

Old 08-01-2014, 09:43 AM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

I've been using Amsoil for over 20 years. On occasion I have used other brands with no problems.

Engine Amsoil Motorcycle 20-50
Trans Amsoil Severe Gear 75-140
Primary H-D Formula+

Old 08-01-2014, 10:19 AM
DiselDevilDog
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Oil, who said Oil? Here we go!!! Hang on to your hats.....only kidding. After trying most all the stuff that's out there and being an old drag racer, I run Amsoil 20x50 in the motor, Red Line V-Twin primary case oil and I saved the best for last, Red Line Trans Oil with Shockproof. This stuff really works....the tranny oil's viscosity is something like 50-250 and really sticks to the gears and will not throw off. Most of the racing teams use this and I have found that I can find neutral much easier with this tranny oil. Just my $.02.
diesel

Old 08-04-2014, 08:28 AM
SanOnofreTriGlide
6th Gear

Gary, DiselDog, & Postal, love this site and thanks for the info on the syn oil. Now my next question is the overheating issue. I live in the great southern cal area along the coast, not too much heat here, but I here of this topic a bit. This past weekend my wife and I did a ride and we were experiencing monsonal weather here. Along the coast fairly cool but inland it got warm. The bike handled it better than we did but hey thats part of riding. So I have done some research on Wards Parts Werks FCS, cools the cylinder heads. Any comments on the over heating issue if any. Harleys have been V's since the beginning and I would think this is well taken care of from the design and factory end. But just wanted to here from the folks out there.

Quick Reply: Tri-Glide Issues