Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Tri-Glide Issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 08:06 PM
TheJimer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by triglide1
My parking brake quit working at about 300 miles. The screw came out of the parking brake handle. My dealer replaced the entire parking brake assembly in warranty.
Triglide,

I have a squeal from the right rear brake but no parking brake issues; engage the parking brake and she stays docked!

I’m glad to hear that you are enjoying and using your TG; despite the annoying little problems we have all experienced, they are a ball and I wouldn’t trade it!

Jim

Old 05-26-2009, 10:43 PM
BinIdaho
Stellar HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by TheJimer
Barbra,

Your Tri-Glide does NOT have to be neutral to start; it will start in any gear as long as the clutch is depressed!

I had a difficult time fining neutral until I put a 1,000 mile on and now it not only shifts smother but neutral is much easier to find.

Jim
Jimer,

Sometimes I can start in gear, sometimes not...had the clutch adjusted once. Service says I'll have to remove my fringe on clutch lever because the leather stitching doesn't let the clutch engage....WHAT? I've had fringe on three other bikes w/o problems with the clutch.

Having sporatic starting in gear and/or only in neutral...should the clutch be adjusted again or is there something else I should have looked at? Ready for my 1K service

Old 05-26-2009, 11:40 PM
TheJimer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Spudster
Jimer,

Sometimes I can start in gear, sometimes not...had the clutch adjusted once. Service says I'll have to remove my fringe on clutch lever because the leather stitching doesn't let the clutch engage....WHAT? I've had fringe on three other bikes w/o problems with the clutch.

Having sporatic starting in gear and/or only in neutral...should the clutch be adjusted again or is there something else I should have looked at? Ready for my 1K service
Barb,

If they think it’s the fringe, why not humor them and take it off for a while; if the “no start in gear” (clutch depressed) continues…than you know it’s not the fringe. Sometimes these guys get so fixated on one thing and they refuse to look any further. If you eliminate that possibility, it forces them to dig deeper!

I would do this before you take it in for the 1,000 mile service; at that time they should do a clutch adjustment and fluid change, which I suspect will make a big difference!

Good luck,

Jim

Old 05-27-2009, 12:31 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Jimer,

I know they have added a micro switch to the clutch that has to be made if the bike is in gear or it won't start. It could be that the leather fringe is thick enough that the switch isn't being made all the time.

Old 05-27-2009, 12:33 PM
FlaJim
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just returned from a 6000 mile + trip on my Triglide. It is an awesome road machine. Love it. Averaged about 35 miles per gallon. Ranged from 25 to 45. Wind was a big factor for low mileage.

I also have all the issues mentioned above, but the pinging. Have an appointment Thur to get them worked out. When the bike gets hot it is hard to shift and almost impossible to find neutral. I had to adjust the cluch during the trip. It seemed to help. The dealer serviced the bike before the trip but the problem resurfaced. Friend of mine was with me. He also has a Triglide. His new trunk seal lasted about 3 days before we had to cut away the top two corners so he could open and close the trunk. Had to do the same to mine.

I think the issues are minor and HD will work them out.

Has anyone changed out the handlebars? Both of us have shoulder issues and need the bars to come back 2-3 more inches and maybe up 1-2 inches higher. HD says there are no bars available at this time for the Triglide, which I don't buy. It is an Ultra Classic from the seat forward.

Will let you all know how I make out.

Old 05-27-2009, 04:41 PM
Mr. Wizard
Club Member
Received 2,043 Likes on 1,105 Posts

FlaJim

Handlebars... this may help but this was for other touring trikes not a TG so please be sure to check it out before purchasing.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/hacke...endations.html

Old 05-27-2009, 05:13 PM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I do know that a Tri Glide owner had his bars replaced at the HD shop where I purchased mine.

Old 05-27-2009, 05:33 PM
BinIdaho
Stellar HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by msocko3
I know they have added a micro switch to the clutch that has to be made if the bike is in gear or it won't start. It could be that the leather fringe is thick enough that the switch isn't being made all the time.
Mike,

Aha, maybe this is why sometimes it'll start in gear and other times not..and its really hard to find neutral, especially when the group is ready to leave and I'm still sitting

Old 05-28-2009, 12:32 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Mike,

Aha, maybe this is why sometimes it'll start in gear and other times not..and its really hard to find neutral, especially when the group is ready to leave and I'm still sitting
Yep that could be it. Most of the problems could be worked out by adjusting the clutch. I'm not sure what could be done about the switch, I'd have to look at the service manuals and see if there is anything.

Old 05-29-2009, 10:26 AM
FlaJim
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Trip to dealer went well. Trunk seal replaced, still leaks as expected. Harley working on a fix. Found out rear brake pads worn and parking brake will not hold. I guess this is normal when the pads wear to a certain point. Trike has 8500 miles on it with a lot of mountian travel. Pads on order and will take 5 to 7 days. Dealer said they would replace the pads at no cost to me. They will call me when they come in. They adjusted the clutch again. Not sure why at this point. I just hope it is easier to find neutral. Other items were minor.

Quick Reply: Tri-Glide Issues