Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Tri-Glide Issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2012, 04:31 PM
Wcorkey
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2011 tri glide, 9200 k miles. Commenced to back out of the garage this morning w/ me and wife on-board; engine running, hit reverse, bike moved about 3 feet back, did not quite get over slight rise before downhill part of drive so hit reverse again and engine died. Will not start. Ignition, on ; Run, on, hit start; nothing (just like if the Run switch was off) Anyone experience this or similar before.? I'm thinking the reverse control module (RCM).

Last edited by Wcorkey; 11-03-2012 at 06:32 PM. Reason: 2011 vice 2012
Old 11-03-2012, 05:07 PM
sloufoot
Club Member
Received 4,091 Likes on 3,492 Posts

Originally Posted by Wcorkey
2012 tri glide, 9200 k miles. Commenced to back out of the garage this morning w/ me and wife on-board; engine running, hit reverse, bike moved about 3 feet back, did not quite get over slight rise before downhill part of drive so hit reverse again and engine died. Will not start. Ignition, on ; Run, on, hit start; nothing (just like if the Run switch was off) Anyone experience this or similar before.? I'm thinking the reverse control module (RCM).
Pull the right side cover & find the breaker just inside the frame, & reset the breaker for the reverse system. If that doesn't help check the fuses on the other side.

Last edited by sloufoot; 11-03-2012 at 05:10 PM.
Old 11-03-2012, 06:45 PM
Wcorkey
4th Gear

reverse breaker ok. Will check other fuses w meter, visual checked they all looked good.

Old 11-03-2012, 07:51 PM
Wcorkey
4th Gear

fuses good. However, checked battery voltage w/ meter = 12.4 volts. But when ignition switched on, voltage dropped to 9.8 volts. Charged battery with a 6 amp charger. Then voltage up to about 12.8v but only dropped to 12.2 when ignition switched on, but still would not start. after a few attempts it is back to 9.8 volts with ignition on.
Would like to jump it to see if will start with a known good battery but looks difficult to get at connectors in order to jump it. Anyway my jumper cables are down where i store my RV, about 12 miles. So if i can see how to get that cover off the battery( there is two screws on the left but a clip on the right that i can't really see how to free up), i may go get the cables.

Old 11-06-2012, 03:27 PM
Wcorkey
4th Gear

OK, i had her towed to Mother road HD in Kingman. They checked and replaced the battery. All good now, thanks to the service and parts Dept at Mother Road HD
Apparently there are circumstances where the battery is under warrentee.

Old 11-19-2012, 07:01 PM
Fast Floyd
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Patriot had your answers. Its a circuit breaker switch so prevent the reverse motor from overheating.

Old 11-27-2012, 04:42 PM
Wild Bill NMVOVMC
2nd Gear
Default Volotage regulator could be issue

I had this same issue when I had less than 2K on my 2012. Took it in as it seems it would start after about an hour. The Voltage Regulator that is stock on these babies is not big enough. It will burn up. It is a recall, so if you have not had that pesty thing replaced, you will eat up another battery in no time. If your Service Dept is heads up I am sure that recall was caught, but the old regulator probably destroyed cells in your battery. If you have not had it done, get it back to Mother nad get it replaced. I mounted my old one in the garage and glued an ashtry to it. That is all it is good for.

Old 11-28-2012, 04:29 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Wild Bill NMVOVMC
I had this same issue when I had less than 2K on my 2012. Took it in as it seems it would start after about an hour. The Voltage Regulator that is stock on these babies is not big enough. It will burn up. It is a recall, so if you have not had that pesty thing replaced, you will eat up another battery in no time. If your Service Dept is heads up I am sure that recall was caught, but the old regulator probably destroyed cells in your battery. If you have not had it done, get it back to Mother nad get it replaced. I mounted my old one in the garage and glued an ashtry to it. That is all it is good for.
They had a run of regulators which where installed on some late 11's and early 12's, that were bad. Nothing wrong with sizing, just plain not built properly.

Old 12-04-2012, 08:38 AM
Tampakingpin
Outstanding HDF Member

I had this issue at delivery. My battery was replaced but not sure about the voltage regulator. Thanks for the information.

After putting 3K miles on my Triglide in the first couple months, I have only noticed two things. The parking brake will not hold the bike in place on an incline (maybe out of alignment?), the clutch needed adjustment twice, and road debris caught the back right section of the bike and punctured/smashed the fiberglass. It is possible that either installing the mudflaps or even the add-on bar across the rear might have stopped this, but not really sure.

Old 12-04-2012, 01:48 PM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The parking brakes are pretty much useless IMHO. I took mine off and if I feel it necesary I carry with me a velcro strap which I will engage the front brke and wrap the strap round the brake handle. Leaving it in gear is generally all that is needed

Quick Reply: Tri-Glide Issues