Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Tri-Glide Issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 12:16 PM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lzski326
I think someone needs to come up with a good replacement for the triglide steering dampener. Mine went bad and I had the dealer replace it. $510.00. They didn't charge me labor for that. I also had some major brake problems, replaced front rotors, back rotors, 1 back caliper, and back pads. Boy I wish i had bought the extended warrenty.
I have to make sure I have them check the rear pads a lot more often, and replace the pads before they eat the rotors.
Larry
Do you still have the parking brake installed? AS long as you have it and if you keep it adjusted you will continue to eat up rear brake pads.

Old 09-23-2011, 01:10 PM
lzski326
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by oldmsocko
Do you still have the parking brake installed? AS long as you have it and if you keep it adjusted you will continue to eat up rear brake pads.
The parking brake is still there but i never use it or adjust it. THe first set of pads ony lasted 9000 miles, that was because the dealer kept adjusting it on every service. The second set of pads made it for 15000 miles but I guess that was a bit to much. About two weeks ago I heard the rear brakes making a little bit of noise so I made an appointment to get them replaced. But a week later one wheel lock up when I step on the brakes, so I had to take it in before my appointment. I guess when it locked up, is when it messed up the caliper on that side. Also this is the second time Ive had warped rotors on the front. So by the time they fixed all of that stuff, the bill ended up over eighteen hundred bucks. We are heading down to tennessee this week, so it was one of them things that had to done right away. It better be good for a long time now lol.

Old 09-23-2011, 01:46 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

I think someone needs to come up with a good replacement for the triglide steering dampener. Mine went bad and I had the dealer replace it. $510.00. They didn't charge me labor for that. I also had some major brake problems, replaced front rotors, back rotors, 1 back caliper, and back pads. Boy I wish i had bought the extended warrenty.
I have to make sure I have them check the rear pads a lot more often, and replace the pads before they eat the rotors.
Larry
Wow talk about a bummer, I'd be all over Harley customer service about the steering damper. It shouldn't have failed this quick.

Old 10-07-2011, 11:23 AM
joe momma
Tourer
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

The parking brake is still there but i never use it or adjust it. THe first set of pads ony lasted 9000 miles, that was because the dealer kept adjusting it on every service. The second set of pads made it for 15000 miles but I guess that was a bit to much. About two weeks ago I heard the rear brakes making a little bit of noise so I made an appointment to get them replaced. But a week later one wheel lock up when I step on the brakes, so I had to take it in before my appointment. I guess when it locked up, is when it messed up the caliper on that side. Also this is the second time Ive had warped rotors on the front. So by the time they fixed all of that stuff, the bill ended up over eighteen hundred bucks. We are heading down to tennessee this week, so it was one of them things that had to done right away. It better be good for a long time now lol.

...wow whatta lotta munnie to put out on brake repairs that should cost so much less........it is easy to do it your self......inspect pads...and replace them as necessary...the fronts are easy to see...when you adj parking brake...check the rear pads......

Old 10-21-2011, 07:58 AM
wyatt_earp
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2011 Tri-Glide 3,800 miles,, trunk lock issues from day 1, weird light knocking noise coming from right side of motor at almost any speed, now the reverse clicks, but no response, even after reset, and removal and reinstall of relay as suggested by dealer, and now black soot inside of leFt tail pipe at back of bike. I noticed some power loss, like Iwas running out of fuel. I ride this trike daily, 42 round trip commute about a 5 mile stretch at 70 mph each day, smooth as silk, but the issues are beginning to wax worse. FLHTCUTG. Any body else? Taking over 2 weeks to get trunk lock to dealer, going on third week, dealer still hasn't seen the lock.

Old 10-24-2011, 09:33 PM
cubbear42
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Hello everyone from Laughlin...

There was a streamer under the FOX NEWS logo on the TV stating something like:

H/D has a recall on 3 different types of m/c's including the 'Trike' (2009 - 2012) - over 251,000 bikes involved... Something to do with the rear brake...
This should interest most of you...

Hope all is well with you, Peggy (cubbear)

Old 10-25-2011, 06:09 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by cubbear42
There was a streamer under the FOX NEWS logo on the TV stating something like:

H/D has a recall on 3 different types of m/c's including the 'Trike' (2009 - 2012) - over 251,000 bikes involved... Something to do with the rear brake...
This should interest most of you...

Hope all is well with you, Peggy (cubbear)
Definitely an item of interest, the rear brake switch can fail due to exhaust heat causing loss of rear brake lights and possibly loss of rear brakes.

Hope your doing well.

Old 10-25-2011, 09:36 AM
DiselDevilDog
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Brake Switch

Just had mine done. Took about 1 hr. They will put the new switch in and then bleed the rear brake line and put in new fluid. All is well. At no cost to you of course.

Old 11-02-2011, 11:37 AM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

Received 689 Likes on 412 Posts

After reading this thread I'm glad I bought the 7 year warranty.

Here's the trunk door solution - at least for me. Does anyone remember the 60's era VW bugs?? I had 2 of them and you learned a trick in order to close the doors.
VW bugs were very air tight and in order to close the door you had to either slowly close it or quickly swing the door and stop about an inch away (to displace the inside air) and then just close the door normally. Well, that's what I tried the other night on the trunk door and it worked like a charm. I was able to just normally push the door closed and it latched. I tried it a few more times just to make sure it wasn't a fluke the first time. So no more slamming the door for me. Now I close the door normally and lock it before traveling.

Hope this works for others.

Old 11-02-2011, 04:42 PM
BigBill1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE

Originally Posted by GARY DYER
After reading this thread I'm glad I bought the 7 year warranty.

Here's the trunk door solution - at least for me. Does anyone remember the 60's era VW bugs?? I had 2 of them and you learned a trick in order to close the doors.
VW bugs were very air tight and in order to close the door you had to either slowly close it or quickly swing the door and stop about an inch away (to displace the inside air) and then just close the door normally. Well, that's what I tried the other night on the trunk door and it worked like a charm. I was able to just normally push the door closed and it latched. I tried it a few more times just to make sure it wasn't a fluke the first time. So no more slamming the door for me. Now I close the door normally and lock it before traveling.

Hope this works for others.
Thanks Gary. I hate slamming anything. I tried your solution and it surley helped. Ride safe.

Quick Reply: Tri-Glide Issues