Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Tri-Glide Issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 06:56 PM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by IamBandit4
Hey all. Just picked up an 09 Tri Glide and am still in the honeymoon phase so I like it a lot! I plan to be around here often, learning from you more experienced riders. The one thing I agree with, that's been said numerous times on this board is; that Trike runs/rides HOT! While I should expect a bit of sweat, being in Central Texas and having triple digit heat almost daily for the past couple months...the top end gets as close to "forgetaboutit hot" as it can. Won't stop me from riding though!
Welcome. Post often and most of all enjoy your ride.

Old 08-02-2011, 08:44 PM
gcox2204
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 Tri Glide Likes and dislikes

My wife and I have gone over to the Tri Glide because my age doesn't allow me the luxury of picking up the Electroglide we had prior. Yes, I hope it gives me several more years of fresh air on my face. We bought the 2011 Merlot and Black, and have spent a small fortune adding chrome, and items for comfort. Here is what I lke about it. Allows me to ride for a few more years, beginning to see more and more on the road all the time. Converted all lights front and back to LED (Love the LED headlight), currently putting on a parade fan to help with the heat, I installed foot pegs on the front housing guard, which particularly takes care of the heat on my right leg. Added a full pelt sheepskin which inproves the butt burn after riding a few hours. Love the cruise control, rear brakes are great. Still fine tuning the radio to avoid static at higher speeds. When parked guess which bike has people surround looking, and asking questions Things I don't like, the trunk lock is being replaced as I write this. Probably the poorest design feature I have come across. The ride is hard because the air shocks are set at max preasure due to weight. Also currently correcting that issue with a lift kit for the shocks which should allow me to reduce the air poundage in the shocks and make the ride for my wife a little easier. lastly I have not been able to find white wall rear tires. When I find them all three tires will be cjhanged out to whitewalls (old school) Live Free Ride Free and be Safe

Old 08-04-2011, 11:04 PM
BinIdaho
Stellar HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Welcome to all the new TG owners.....

Old 08-07-2011, 02:14 AM
pettifogger1
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have never liked the way the trunk latch on my '11 operates. Very hard to close. Didn't like having to slam it so ridiculously hard for it to close. Went out today while resting between other trike mods and set it to factory specs., i.e., 1.050" from the top of the latching pin to its base. Once set I couldn't latch it at all. Rechecked the distance, spot on, and then took a measurement from the other side. Wait a second, different measurements. It's hard to get an exact reading without taking the trunk lid apart, but with a machinists square it is obvious the pin is not perpendicular to its base. While it's not as bad as the leaning tower of Pizza, it is definitely leaning. The latching mechanism is a sliding plate that goes into a groove on the tip of the latch pin. When the pin is tipped, the plate and groove are not parrallel to each other and the latching action of the plate dropping into the groove is very poor. I put the pin in a lathe and it is running true. So, it is the sheet metal base welded into the lid that is off. I could smack it with a plastic mallet, but didn't want to risk chipping the paint or cracking the spot weld. I adjusted the pin out so that it sort of averaged out the different measurements. Now it closes like a dream. After I finish putting the trike back together, I'll have to see if it stays closed on a trip. I can see a couple of other things that might help alleviate the problem, but the bottom line is it is simply not a very good mechanism.

Old 08-07-2011, 05:15 AM
oldmsocko
Club Member

Originally Posted by pettifogger1
Have never liked the way the trunk latch on my '11 operates. Very hard to close. Didn't like having to slam it so ridiculously hard for it to close. Went out today while resting between other trike mods and set it to factory specs., i.e., 1.050" from the top of the latching pin to its base. Once set I couldn't latch it at all. Rechecked the distance, spot on, and then took a measurement from the other side. Wait a second, different measurements. It's hard to get an exact reading without taking the trunk lid apart, but with a machinists square it is obvious the pin is not perpendicular to its base. While it's not as bad as the leaning tower of Pizza, it is definitely leaning. The latching mechanism is a sliding plate that goes into a groove on the tip of the latch pin. When the pin is tipped, the plate and groove are not parrallel to each other and the latching action of the plate dropping into the groove is very poor. I put the pin in a lathe and it is running true. So, it is the sheet metal base welded into the lid that is off. I could smack it with a plastic mallet, but didn't want to risk chipping the paint or cracking the spot weld. I adjusted the pin out so that it sort of averaged out the different measurements. Now it closes like a dream. After I finish putting the trike back together, I'll have to see if it stays closed on a trip. I can see a couple of other things that might help alleviate the problem, but the bottom line is it is simply not a very good mechanism.
Just another one of HD's night mares.

Old 08-08-2011, 07:13 AM
Roadrunner14
Intermediate

Just curious...if you lock the trunk...will it stay shut or is it still subject to opening while riding? And was this corrected on the 2012's?

bob

Old 08-08-2011, 11:05 AM
oldmsocko
Club Member

Originally Posted by Roadrunner14
Just curious...if you lock the trunk...will it stay shut or is it still subject to opening while riding? And was this corrected on the 2012's?

bob
I always ride with my trunk locked. I would have no idea if this helps or not.

Old 08-08-2011, 11:12 AM
BinIdaho
Stellar HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Have had trunk lock worked on several times by HD service, even new rubber seal. Still pops open (sporatic) when locked going down the road! Nice when friendly cars passing point to the rear....'09 TG! Put stuff in trunk that I won't need to get unless emergency (tools, etc.)...don't use it for packing clothes.

Old 08-08-2011, 01:24 PM
oldmsocko
Club Member

Originally Posted by BinIdaho
Have had trunk lock worked on several times by HD service, even new rubber seal. Still pops open (sporatic) when locked going down the road! Nice when friendly cars passing point to the rear....'09 TG! Put stuff in trunk that I won't need to get unless emergency (tools, etc.)...don't use it for packing clothes.
When you travel you are now hauling a trailor aren't you??

Old 08-08-2011, 03:27 PM
Mr Bulldog
Novice

My Tri Glide Trunk Lock broke and fell out on the street. HD replaced it, but when they washed it, I had to mop up about a 1/4 inch of water on the inside. Closer examination reveals the top could be adjusted tighter which might help. Overall, I believe the trunk lock system on the tri-glides need to be redesigned by HD, with a recall offered to all of us who fight the trunk issue.

Quick Reply: Tri-Glide Issues