Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Tri-Glide Issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 03:50 PM
Rockwall TG John
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a early 2010 TG. The rear brakes were shot at 17,000 miles. They did a update on them to 2011 brakes. You might want to check your rear brakes.

Old 04-27-2011, 08:52 AM
DiselDevilDog
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Rear Brakes

Thanks John, this forum is great! If we can't fix it, at least everyone will know what the hell is going on. Great! I'll keep my eye on the rear brakes.
diesel

Old 04-27-2011, 06:07 PM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Rockwall TG John
I have a early 2010 TG. The rear brakes were shot at 17,000 miles. They did a update on them to 2011 brakes. You might want to check your rear brakes.
I'm not sure how your dealer pulled it off. The rear brakes has been a hot topic at one time on this board. Most of us were told they were a wear item and not covered under warranty.

Old 04-29-2011, 09:30 PM
Randy Brian
Intermediate

I did my 20,000 service and found much to my dismay that the rear brake pad was worn thru thr pad and back plate and the pusher from the cylinder was pushing on the rotors. I heard no noise at all and only the last few miles noticed the brake would stick at a red light. I think this is purposterous (if I spelled that right) I would only think that at 10,000 mile service done at dealer it should have been noticable for them to have done what they did. I have never seen anything like it before in my life.

Old 04-30-2011, 03:32 AM
oldmsocko
Club Member

Originally Posted by Randy Brian
I did my 20,000 service and found much to my dismay that the rear brake pad was worn thru thr pad and back plate and the pusher from the cylinder was pushing on the rotors. I heard no noise at all and only the last few miles noticed the brake would stick at a red light. I think this is purposterous (if I spelled that right) I would only think that at 10,000 mile service done at dealer it should have been noticable for them to have done what they did. I have never seen anything like it before in my life.
I would bet you a dollar to a hole in a donut they didn't look at the brakes at the 10,000 mile check up.

Old 04-30-2011, 09:17 PM
Randy Brian
Intermediate

you are probbaly right. They had my oil plugs so tight the o rings were mushroomed out and they had plumbers putty on the threads. I learned a lession about dealer workmanship. I will always do my own or go to my local custom bike shop where I know the tech.

Old 05-01-2011, 01:45 PM
oldmsocko
Club Member

you are probbaly right. They had my oil plugs so tight the o rings were mushroomed out and they had plumbers putty on the threads. I learned a lession about dealer workmanship. I will always do my own or go to my local custom bike shop where I know the tech.

All dealers are not created equal. There are some GREAT dealers out there but I believe they are few and far in between. The dealer where I purchased my TG at one time was one of those GREAT dealers. Unfortunately it came under new ownership and if that wasn't bad enough the service manager also changed. I don't think he could manage his way out of a wet paper bag.

Old 05-01-2011, 04:30 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

I also use thread sealant when I change oil in the engine, trans and primary. Shouldn't be needed but then since I've used it I've never had a leak and the plugs go in and out easily.

Old 05-15-2011, 09:02 PM
DutchH
Stage I
Default TriGlide excessive oil temps :

I was just reviewing comments concerning TriGlides and would like to comment on my 2009 TriGlide's problems.Since I bought the trike new I've had no help from either Harley nor any dealership in addressing the oil temp problems.I've checked these oil temps with two seperate gauges and both indicate the oil is reaching a peak of 288 degrees riding on the interstate with air temps under 85 degrees.I was told those are normal operating temps for the trike and not to worry.But no answer is given when I ask what would the oil temps be if caught in stalled traffic during a 100 degree day.
Also the trike has never came close to it's advertised gas mileage and when run on the interstate with light loads does very good to get 30 MPG plus prior to having a dealership install a race tuner with free flow exhaust and intake breather it wouldn't pull a slight grade on open interstate in top gear and had to be downshifted.The trike handles very well and has excellent braking but Harley needs to revisit their TriGlide engine and deal with a multitude of problems before I'd ever buy another one...

Old 05-16-2011, 12:26 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by DutchH
I was just reviewing comments concerning TriGlides and would like to comment on my 2009 TriGlide's problems.Since I bought the trike new I've had no help from either Harley nor any dealership in addressing the oil temp problems.I've checked these oil temps with two seperate gauges and both indicate the oil is reaching a peak of 288 degrees riding on the interstate with air temps under 85 degrees.I was told those are normal operating temps for the trike and not to worry.But no answer is given when I ask what would the oil temps be if caught in stalled traffic during a 100 degree day.
Also the trike has never came close to it's advertised gas mileage and when run on the interstate with light loads does very good to get 30 MPG plus prior to having a dealership install a race tuner with free flow exhaust and intake breather it wouldn't pull a slight grade on open interstate in top gear and had to be downshifted.The trike handles very well and has excellent braking but Harley needs to revisit their TriGlide engine and deal with a multitude of problems before I'd ever buy another one...
Kind of sounds like my 2010 when I 1st took delivery and pretty much the same lame excuses I received from Harley also. Once they get your money they no longer seem to be interested in taking care of problems. I finaly quit beating my head against the wall and made the required modifications to cool things off and get my power where it should have been to begin with.

Quick Reply: Tri-Glide Issues