Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Tri-Glide Issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 06:29 AM
icebite1
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by agntjim
Bobs - thanks man, that helps a lot!!!

So here's a way of settling the lower fairings controversy. Anyone out there with the "street" version of the H-D Trike? They don't have the lower fairings. What are you "street" version guys experiencing on the right side of the trike?
wifes street glide ran hot from the factory, as you can see i have done all the mods for cooling since then, see signature, and the heat is more acceptable now . the air flow on these trikes is not the best with or without lowers. yesterday we rode for a couple hundred miles and toward the end with temps approaching upper 80s and humid i could see her putting her right foot up on the crash bar like she used to befor the mods but hey, it was hot and i was doing the same thing and i was on my softail delux which has great air flow. her oil temp was running 230 to 240 degrees, i use full syn.oil, the end results for us is that the mods do help a lot but not any one by itself, imho i beleive you need to do them all to get the best cooling and performance.

Last edited by icebite1; 08-31-2010 at 06:34 AM.
Old 08-31-2010, 07:35 AM
Mr. Wizard
Club Member
Received 2,043 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Originally Posted by icebite1
the end results for us is that the mods do help a lot but not any one by itself, imho i beleive you need to do them all to get the best cooling and performance.
Bingo!!!

Old 08-31-2010, 07:57 AM
coupe55
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Multiple Mods for Cooling

Originally Posted by Mr. Wizard
Bingo!!!

What he said!

Old 08-31-2010, 08:27 AM
Mr. Wizard
Club Member

Originally Posted by msocko3
Very interesting, now that I know my dealer is unwilling to work on my engine I wish I would have gotten the TTS. This must be the timing retard the guy who tuned my dads trike talked about. When you tune these are you zeroing out those cells where the timing is being pulled or adding any timing to them?
The truth is very few tuners, even the most competent ones, don't mess with this lonely area of the calibration.

Because it is temperature and kPa related not only can you reduce your spark tables but you can advance them too. It all depends on your climate. You can reduce your timing under full pull in hot motor conditions or increase it during cold to help ride ability. If you are the type that starts the bike and goes riding immediately you can remove timing in your cruising areas to help warm up the bike quicker. Once at temp the timing will go back to it's normal set spark tables.

To answer your question directly... nope, you should set your spark tables according to your tuning knock procedures and let it ride. Then use this table for extreme temperature adjustments.

Old 10-11-2010, 09:51 AM
Buddy WMC
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kind of resurrecting an old thread here. Have you 2010 and 2011 owners who have done these modifications now have no warranty?

Old 10-11-2010, 11:27 AM
T K Glider
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think HD is looking to stop warranty work as often as they can.I believe the new engines will fatigue over the heat extremes and cause many failures.One way to not pay those obligations is to void total warranty for mods of any kind.

Old 10-11-2010, 03:59 PM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by T K Glider
I think HD is looking to stop warranty work as often as they can.I believe the new engines will fatigue over the heat extremes and cause many failures.One way to not pay those obligations is to void total warranty for mods of any kind.
I think you could possibly be on to something.

Old 10-12-2010, 12:25 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Buddy WMC
Kind of resurrecting an old thread here. Have you 2010 and 2011 owners who have done these modifications now have no warranty?
It all depends on the dealer. Some dealers are cool with you wrenching on your Trike and making modifications and will take care of warranty work. Other dealers will drop a dime on you with the MoCo which will give you grief on any future warranty work. If you have a dealer who likes to drop dimes then I suggest you find one who doesn't feel the need to drop a dime.

Old 11-12-2010, 02:45 PM
bullet 10
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sounds like spark Knock?

My 2010 tri has 6000miles sometimes at any rpm sometimes at 2800 in 5th gear steady throttle sounds like spark knock (ball bearing effect) just a second or two. If you throttle up goes away and picks up speed accordingly. My experience tells me it can't be gas pinging at this rpm with no heavy load. .Has done this since new. Does not do all time. I am very aware of not ******* engines on trikes. Other wise trike runs fairly good even with 2010 gear ratio. I have never notice it happening in 6th gear. any suggestions apprceiated.

Old 11-12-2010, 03:01 PM
Mr. Wizard
Club Member

Originally Posted by bullet 10
My 2010 tri has 6000miles sometimes at any rpm sometimes at 2800 in 5th gear steady throttle sounds like spark knock (ball bearing effect) just a second or two. If you throttle up goes away and picks up speed accordingly. My experience tells me it can't be gas pinging at this rpm with no heavy load. .Has done this since new. Does not do all time. I am very aware of not ******* engines on trikes. Other wise trike runs fairly good even with 2010 gear ratio. I have never notice it happening in 6th gear. any suggestions apprceiated.
If it is spark knock your ECM will adjust but will reduce the learned event with every key cycle on and off. If it is a bad tank of gas, add some fuel additive octane boost and fill your tank with fresh gas to the top. Ride it again. If it continues then you will need to do a data run collection to see if it is indeed a knock retard.

If you have changed to non OEM HD plugs or wires there could be an issue interfering with the ION sensing. Change them back to OEM HD.

Quick Reply: Tri-Glide Issues