Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Tri-Glide Issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 06:21 PM
agntjim
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wizard - I thought the same thing about touring, but thought some trike owner might have tried it. I check with the touring guys - THANKS!!!

Old 07-10-2010, 08:34 PM
billy de
6th Gear
Default Heat amd the tri glide

[I took the lower farings off the crash bar installed some adjutstable hi way pegs the heat is 40% less and we just had 3 days of 90 plus I road comfortable all 3 days. Mon I'm having a set of Rhinharts put on with an airbox and a super tuner. That shoud help even more cant wait to get rid of the Volkswagon sound it has now.quote=coupe55;6892514]The heat problem will be with us long term if Harley does not water cool and that will still leave the heat on the rider.
Lazy engineering and taking the automotive fix is not a good fit for a 70 year old air cooled design. I would not have bought the 2010 if I had known that cat was on it, would not have taken delivery.

I have had to lay out some serious money post delivery on the Tri, have the heat problem solved but will have to go back to the well this winter to finish the job. The performance is not up to what is reasonable to expect from a 103 cu. in. engine. I had no chance to test drive a Tri before I bought and I now know why Harley kept them hid.

Harley has a problem with the touring bikes that will become very clear by labor day, more and more post about the heat. I don't think this bodes well for Harley if they don't make some drastic changes on the 11 and 12 models.[/quote]

Old 07-10-2010, 08:42 PM
billy de
6th Gear

one quick question to throw out to you all I was washing my tri glide and went to towle it off I got close to the lower goose neck and had a cloth full blue greese. it was coming from the goose neck anyone else experence this? And is it normal and will it hurt anything? thanks in advance.

Old 07-11-2010, 05:23 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by billy de
one quick question to throw out to you all I was washing my tri glide and went to towle it off I got close to the lower goose neck and had a cloth full blue greese. it was coming from the goose neck anyone else experence this? And is it normal and will it hurt anything? thanks in advance.
Sounds like you have a dealer that did a good job at setup time because they greased the neck bearings. Some dealers either don't bother or they just put a few pumps in and call it a day. It takes about a half a tube of grease to fill the neck properly before it gets to the bearings. The down side is when hot the grease HD recommends melts and some of it will leak out of the bottom bearing area. I started using Lucas Red & Tacky which seems to hold up better than the HD grease.

Old 07-12-2010, 11:46 PM
billy de
6th Gear

Greetings all I had a set of rhineharts slip ons put on today with an air box and a super tuner. Love the way it woke up the sound of my tri glide. I had icreesed power and seemd cooler. I was told not to expect any better gas milage. I get abot 170-182 a tank. long was from the MPG quoated in my manual of 48.

Old 08-08-2010, 01:01 PM
trunk don't leak
Stage II
Default Trunk leaking

hello to all the trunk issues with the tri-glide is a combo of stuff:
1. Trunk seal seam needs to be glued together( I used 3m super weather stripping adhesive) as harley put the seam in the wrong place as the trunk lip holds water and runs thru the seam.

2. The liscence plate light bracket has 2 bolt holes and a wire pass thru repaired with a little RTV and reinstalled.

3. The lock assy sleeve and cylender leak. The sleeve I used clear silicon to seal and reinstalled the lock cylender I filled with good grease and no more leaks.

If your trunk door won't stay closed you need to re adjust the lock pins on the door as HD thinks making it close tighter will stop the leak it won't.

hope this helps everyone with the trunk issuses keep the rubber to the road

Old 08-09-2010, 04:13 PM
Thunder Frank
Stage II
Default 2010 tri glide oil leak right side

Apears to be clutch cable near exhaust ! Due to high heat in this aera it melts casing around clutch cable ! Does any one have a fix for this problem ? Thinking of tru duals if they are available for a trike , had them on my 2005 ultra and they worked fairly well ! Seems like harley schould have a fix for this !

Thunder Frank

Old 08-09-2010, 04:32 PM
Road Warrior
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Harley likely don't but I bet some of these other guys do. You can get a set of true duals, if you open your wallet wide enough and then probably get Wizard to re-tune for that. I run true duals but mine is an older model with the open loop EFI....no oxy sensors in the head pipes.

Hadn't heard of this problem on the TG list before...sure it's properly routed?

Old 08-09-2010, 04:57 PM
Mr. Wizard
Club Member
Received 2,043 Likes on 1,105 Posts

It's the heat coming from the cat device. It melts the brake switch and wiring too.

True duals will cause your 2010 to stall even more so at take off and/or loose pulling torque in the lower RPM areas. Best to stay with the X Pipe either by FuelMoto or Fullsac.

Old 08-09-2010, 04:59 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Thunder Frank
Apears to be clutch cable near exhaust ! Due to high heat in this aera it melts casing around clutch cable ! Does any one have a fix for this problem ? Thinking of tru duals if they are available for a trike , had them on my 2005 ultra and they worked fairly well ! Seems like harley schould have a fix for this !

Thunder Frank
I'm going to take a wild guess that you have a 2010 and the catalytic converter is doing the shrink wrap job on your clutch cable. Your still under warranty so I'd make Harley take care of the bad cable before I changed anything. The more I see some of the botched engineering on these trikes the more ticked off I get, we shouldn't be the beta testers and we certainly didn't buy a kit trike even though it sure feels like it.

I'm not a big fan of true duals for a trike unless you have the engine to help them out, most of them shift the torque curve to the right which is the last thing you want on the Triglide. I'd switch to either the Fuelmoto Jackpot head pipe or the Fullsac Xpipe which will rid you of the cat, then select a tuning device and get it tweaked to cool things off.

Quick Reply: Tri-Glide Issues