Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Tri-Glide Issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 06:24 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by billy de
Sorry but I don't know what you mean by you put a sert on it and it had more power and ran cooler. I would do anything for a cooler ride with more power.
The search function is your friend, there is a ton of information posted by several folks on how to cool off the Triglide.

Old 06-15-2010, 08:07 AM
coupe55
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Cool Tri's

Most here will tell you there is no one magic bullit to cool down the Harley Touring bikes/trikes. It is a series of steps or mods and with one of the main modifications "getting more fuel to the engine" accomplished by several different methods by different owners. You will either remap the ECM or trick the ECM into passing more fuel, especially at idle.

As M3 said, if you read the cooling forums from the beginning you will see what steps are necessary to get the heat monster under control. The Jimer rides in the most extreme environment on the forum, 100 plus degree days and post some respectable oil temps now. They have a pretty good blueprint for cooling down the Tri's on this forum, cruise though it and just ask if you need any further help.

Old 06-15-2010, 12:09 PM
TheJimer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry but I don't know what you mean by you put a sert on it and it had more power and ran cooler. I would do anything for a cooler ride with more power.
billy;
There are numerous posts on cooling down the TG; I ride in 100 + degree temps most of the year and managed to reduce my engine oil temp by almost 70* by doing the following on my ’09 TG:
Installing a PC-V, SE Ventilator State 1 A/C, Jagg 10 row oil cooler, Big Sky Oil Cooler Fan, LeNale Parade Fan, Jackpot stainless steel head pipes, V&H Oval Slip-on’s, Woods Knight Prowler TW6-6 Cam, Red Line 20W60 Synthetic Oil

Other owners have achieved similar success with different approaches but this has worked for me. Having said that; there have been some new products come to market since I did these early pioneer installs. If I were starting from scratch today I would have to look at the Ultra 14 row Oil Cooler with integrated fan and Big Sky has come out with a 3-blower Parade Fan; I don’t know much about it but the idea of moving air across 3 places on the cylinders seems like a sound approach. There are also other tunes but I choose the PC-V because it’s simplicity and the fact that I can easily add mods with just a simple adjustment.

This forum is a cornucopia of good information and you have the advantage of benefiting from us early lab rats that did some experimenting. Good luck and please keep us posted!

Old 06-15-2010, 07:20 PM
dillonpeewee
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes the handle bar will fit. Had them put on my 2010 tri. before I picked it up.

Old 06-15-2010, 07:45 PM
billy de
6th Gear

I took my 2010 tri glide to HD dealerdhip today they told me my trasmission is SHOT. funny it has 2,700 miles on it. I ride it like I paid 34,000 dollars for not like I stole it. I sure hope this is not what I have to look forward to. It is the most I have paid for anything in my life other then my 2nd deviorce.

Old 06-15-2010, 08:40 PM
coupe55
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Hate to hear it

I took my 2010 tri glide to HD dealerdhip today they told me my trasmission is SHOT. funny it has 2,700 miles on it. I ride it like I paid 34,000 dollars for not like I stole it. I sure hope this is not what I have to look forward to. It is the most I have paid for anything in my life other then my 2nd deviorce.
What kind of trans oil did you put in on the 1000 mile service?

Old 06-15-2010, 11:18 PM
TheJimer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The good news is…at least they told you that the trans is shot! There is thread after were owners are complaining about weird noises from their trans and dealers and factory reps are using the standard line of: THAT’S NORMAL and refusing to warranty it.

Old 06-16-2010, 01:41 PM
billy de
6th Gear
Default Tranmsmission out in2,700 miles 2010 tri glide

Originally Posted by coupe55
What kind of trans oil did you put in on the 1000 mile service?
I wuse the Harley Synthic. they told me today that the only gear with no damage was 5th gear. They said they had never heard of this problem with so little miles. Billy DE

Old 06-16-2010, 02:48 PM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I wuse the Harley Synthic. they told me today that the only gear with no damage was 5th gear. They said they had never heard of this problem with so little miles. Billy DE
That's probably true. That particular dealership probably has never seen that before. It is very unusual to have that sort of damage so soon.

Old 06-17-2010, 07:56 AM
agntjim
Intermediate
Question HELP!! Thoughts? Impressions?

So it appears there's a heat (mainly right side), trunk leak, reverse, and steering problem on a $30k+ bike. My question is two fold: (1) would you buy one again knowing what you know now? (2) do you think bringing the Trike manufacturing inside HD at the York, PA plant versus Lehman Conversions will improve or make the problems worse.

I'm "was" planning on buying one, now after reading this thread, wow, I'm really having thoughts of Honda (I know, I know) you don't have to say it. Any insight, thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!

Last edited by agntjim; 06-17-2010 at 07:58 AM.

Quick Reply: Tri-Glide Issues