Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

freewheeler dissapointment

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 02:11 AM
davekp
Road Captain
Received 245 Likes on 156 Posts

Run the rear tires at 22psi.

The following users liked this post:
Ytcoinshooter (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 08:09 AM
2500hdon37s
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,586 Likes on 683 Posts

32mpg seems pretty reasonable considering the increased weight and wind resistance of a trike over a 2 wheeler.

Old Yesterday, 09:03 AM
Hathaway
Cruiser
Received 108 Likes on 63 Posts
Default Steering

I don't own a trike (yet), but have heard from multiple trike riders that you need to get a wider rake triple tree to get an easier steering trike. I toyed with the idea of a "Frankenstein" trike conversion for my Sporty, and their catalogue lists this rake conversion. Feedback says it's darn near a requirement, in most comments given.

Old Yesterday, 10:05 AM
Noodles107
HDF Community Team
Received 194 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by 2AMGuy
Someday I'm gonna take the time to list all of the various upgrades, improvements and bling to make this '18 Tri-Glide mine.
It WILL be my last purchase and I have no intentions of ever getting rid of it as long as I can still ride.
Whether riding locally or on a long trip I still believe the the items that I appreciate most is the Heli-bars, the rider backrest and the DK Comfort Lift as those things make the trike a real "mile eater"!
I bet there's plenty on your list too Cool stuff right.. It really wasn't "taking the time" to list upgrades. I started at the very front of the Trike and worked my way to the rear on purpose, awaiting my Vanity Tag arrival for the final finishing touch.

Each piece that I have added was also put into the "Notes" spreadsheet on my iPhone. This is how I know it was 58 upgrades ... "Notes" tells you how many items are in the list. I also have Before & After snap shots of every single addition I have done and again, iPhoto not only keeps them in chronological order automatically, the date and time info is easily available on every pic.

Old Yesterday, 10:40 AM
uncle kebo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,906 Likes on 2,434 Posts

MPG - who cares... I recently achieved 44mph on a straight shot run. Everyone knows all trikes need
a) Getting used to
b) ergo and comfort mods to 'fit'
c) Ive had many verts, to me theyre not a bike or a trike

My triglide - I NEEDED to change the seat, add a back rest, a lift kit and new shocks. Rides great, very comfy and rest assured, it will never be a bike. Believe it or not the back rest helps with shoulder fatigue...

Noodles107 (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 11:08 AM
Peter Kelly
Intermediate
Received 35 Likes on 14 Posts

If you are getting 32 mpg either something is wrong or you a flogging the living **** out of it. I have a 2020 flrt with cam and tune, get 38 or so general riding, worst I have ever seen is 36

Old Yesterday, 04:03 PM
TwoBlue02
Road Captain
Received 56 Likes on 35 Posts

Look into getting some wider bars, makes turning much easier. As for the ride, you now have 3 pivot points instead of two. Nature of the beast.

Old Yesterday, 05:39 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 666 Likes on 414 Posts

Originally Posted by Hey Man
I'll never be disappointed by a trike because I'll never own one.
I used to say the same thing when I was younger. Fast forward to retirement age and health issues and I suddenly find myself on a trike. I’ve owned a few convertibles. In my case, a car is a car. Riding a trike is more fun.

The following 2 users liked this post by Geoff:
FreightTrain777 (Yesterday), mark1313 (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 11:14 PM
kceder001
Advanced
Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Hathaway
I don't own a trike (yet), but have heard from multiple trike riders that you need to get a wider rake triple tree to get an easier steering trike. I toyed with the idea of a "Frankenstein" trike conversion for my Sporty, and their catalogue lists this rake conversion. Feedback says it's darn near a requirement, in most comments given.
A simple rear lift kit makes a good improvement in easier steering. Less than 200 bucks. See DK Customs.

Old Yesterday, 11:24 PM
kceder001
Advanced
Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mrsnipy
Having riden 2 wheels for 50 years i bought a freewheeler yes it is stable however crappy mpg 32 on recent trip,rough ride feel every bump and steering in turns is a beast on my shoulders. Gearing also seems 80 mpg is top pull speed. Am i the only one unhappy with thier trike?
22 lbs in the rear tires
Lift kit for the rear end makes steering lighter (DK Customs) and helps the ride a little bit (5-10 percent?)

You don't say which year, but if your on the stock shocks, adjust them CAREFULLY. A pound or two of air, or a click or two if your 2019 or later, can make a difference. Go by what the manual tells you to start, and SMALL incremental adjustments up or down. Just like all Harleys, the stock shocks are not great, and upgrading to aftermarket will help. But on my 17 with air shocks, correctly setting them and running 22 in the rear tires, and the lift kit made it pretty decent. Now granted, my last two bikes (2 wheel) had 12" hand adjustable shocks on them, so Im used to a less than cushy ride. I will probably upgrade the shocks over the winter, but I do like the easy adjustablitly of the Harley shocks as far as preload. (both types).

As far as the trike in general, its simply a different animal. You have to let go of the 2 wheel experience and let it be what it is. For me the weirdest thing is the side to side rocking over bumps, But its becoming less and less noticeable to me. Honestly, your car does the same thing, and you never notice it. It just seems weird to feel it when your holding onto handlebars.

Make some tweaks, and give it some time.

Last edited by kceder001; Yesterday at 11:26 PM.
Sportster1952 (Today)

Quick Reply: freewheeler dissapointment