Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

The 1600km 1st service on my RG3 proved to be eventful

Search this Thread

Old Today, 09:39 AM
barneyboy
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,779 Likes on 1,605 Posts

Originally Posted by JimGnitecki
The battery tender wiring harness may be attached to a circuit protected by a 20 amp fuse, but unfortunately, the HD service manager and parts manager both told me that the the wiring harness for the battery tender itself is protected by only a 7.5 amp fuse. They said they would not replace the 7.5 amp with a larger fuse. I verified that when I got home from the dealership. My battery charger would not indicate it could charge, and I found that it was a 7.5 amp fuse that had been blown. When I replaced it, the battery charger turned its lcharging sequence lights on.

Dud my dealership wire the battery tender harness into the wrong fused circuit on the trike? If so, they are doing it for ALL the bikes they deliver, because they provide a battery charger for every bike they sell!

Jim G
It's possible your dealer installed one of these?

It has a 7.5 amp inline fuse.

I'm not sure why they would go through the trouble when the factory provides a connector under the left side cover that is protected by the P&A fuse.

The following users liked this post:
Buelligan666 (Today)
Old Today, 09:44 AM
JimGnitecki
Stellar HDF Member
Received 392 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by barneyboy
It's possible your dealer installed one of these?

It has a 7.5 amp inline fuse.

I'm not sure why they would go through the trouble when the factory provides a connector under the left side cover that is protected by the P&A fuse.

I checked for that possibility when installing the dedicated heated gear harness. There was NO additional wiring harness attached to the battery terminals, only the 2 main battery +ve and -ve leads. Why did a 7.5 amp, versus 20 amp, be the one that blew I wonder?? All the other fuses were intact (I checked them individually).

Jim G

Old Today, 10:21 AM
barneyboy
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,779 Likes on 1,605 Posts

Originally Posted by JimGnitecki
I checked for that possibility when installing the dedicated heated gear harness. There was NO additional wiring harness attached to the battery terminals, only the 2 main battery +ve and -ve leads. Why did a 7.5 amp, versus 20 amp, be the one that blew I wonder?? All the other fuses were intact (I checked them individually).

Jim G
I'm guessing they wired it into the System Power circuit. That's the only circuit that is protected by a 7.5 amp fuse.

As to oil OK on the info screen. I'm fairly certain it's oil pressure. Earlier radios displayed the actual oil pressure.

Sometime around 2017 or 2108 the software was changed to display OK instead of the actual pressure.

​​​​​​

Old Today, 10:25 AM
CoolBreeze3646
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 22,069 Likes on 7,639 Posts

Just a note on the factory installed tender cable on my 2019 FLHTCUTG: The fuse is 7.5 amp as I have blown it a couple of times when hooking up my battery tender. If I do not unplug my tender before hooking it up and just connect to the cable, it will blow the fuse, must put a surge on the line.

If I hook it up and then plug in the battery tender all is well.

At least on my 2019 the fuse is a 7.5 amp that goes to the tender cable, that fuse does fuse other functions I think.

Old Today, 10:35 AM
JimGnitecki
Stellar HDF Member
Received 392 Likes on 258 Posts

Thank-you both! I just checked my fus panel, and it is the "System Power" fuse, which is indeed 7.5 amps, that my battery tender harness comes from. Here's a photo:

It's the fuse at the top center of the fuse panel.

The red coax cable connector at the left is the connector on the new dedicated heated gear harness.

So, I guess HD is not consistent, or the dealers are not consistent in how the tender harness is powered.

I added balck tape to both cables to protect them from abrasion where they come over the lip of the side cover. That is why the tender cable looks "wrinkled" - that's where it is taped.

You can aslo see where I tucked in the HD Bluetooth tuner (bright red connector near the 50 amp main fuse).

Jim G

Last edited by JimGnitecki; Today at 10:38 AM.