Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Now can run either OEM RG3 seat or 2-up WIDE & thick passenger seat!

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2024, 09:44 AM
JimGnitecki
Stellar HDF Member
Received 386 Likes on 253 Posts
Default Now can run either OEM RG3 seat or 2-up WIDE & thick passenger seat!

A local rider bought a used Road Glide some time ago, and since he is HUGELY tall (at least a foot higher than I am!), he needed to replace the existing seat on it, which was a "2-up Reach" seat, which means it is 0.8 inch lower than OEM AND palces the rider about 1.5 inches closer to the handlebars! He went with a gorgeous "Tall" Lapera in Crocodile finish to get the ergonomics corrected. The Reach seat has sat unused for a LONG time collecting dust. He wanted to sell it, at a very modest price since it was just collecting dust.

It's a fit for me, since I am only 5'7" tall and shrinking by the year, and since it would provide a MUCH wider and DEEPER seat for my wife, who will be an occasional passenger. When I say "much" wider, I mean it: The top of the OEM RG3 seat is 8 inches wide in the passenger area, while this Road Glide seat is FIFTEEN inches wide!

Here are 2 photos showing the dramatic difference in width:

OEM:

2-Up Reach

Surprisingly, it does not make the RG3 look horribly "fat" when viewed from a normal street level view, since the trike itself is large enough to dwarf just about ANY seat:

OEM:

2-Up Reach:

I have not ridden the chariot yet with the 2-Up Reach seat because it is raining yesterday and today. But my impression just sitting on the chariot in the garage is that the Reach feature, while helpful for my lower height and raech, is maybe a bit more than I would have preferred - 1 inch versus 1.5 inches would have been better. But I will know better when I actually take a 1 or 2 hour ride with it. The 0.8 inch lower height is nice in that it tucks me in better behind the Road Glide Sharknose fairing, but it will of course also make it harder to see what's on the ground just a few feet in front of the chariot when going into parking spots for example, or into my garage.

The seller did let me try it in my garage before I bought it, and I figured that at the low price he wanted, I could use at for sure when my wife is a passenger, as it will make her ride MUCH nicer with the extra width and depth. When riding alone, I can use either the OEM seat or the 2-Up Reach seat, depending on how I feel about the new seat after using it a while. On very windy days, I imagine the lower height of the 2-Up Reach seat might be the factor that tiltds me to use that seat versus the OEM. The swap is easy and takes only seconds.

Jim G

Last edited by JimGnitecki; 09-12-2024 at 09:46 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by JimGnitecki:
Dfriz (Today), MikeRG3 (09-12-2024)
Old 09-13-2024, 09:47 AM
MikeRG3
Cruiser
Veteran: Navy
Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts
Default Stock seat sucks

My stock seat on my 24 RG3 only made it 400 miles. It hurt my ****. Lol

Bought the Sundowner seat and still have the Stock Seat laying around. Maybe I ought to sell it, keeps getting in the way.

I still have the Stock Seat for my 2015 Limited in a box too. Stock seats suck.IMO
Mike

Sundowner

Stock seat

Old 09-13-2024, 10:02 AM
JimGnitecki
Stellar HDF Member

Mike that shows how much we each vary in what we need for comfort. I have sat on the oEM seat for up to 3 hours at a time, and the only thing I would have changed was moving the seat pocket where you can sit forward about an inch. No soreness. I just would ideally like to be a bit closer to the handlebars. The 2-up Reach seat moves me a bit further forward than I would ideally want (1.5" versus 1'), but also tucks me 0.8" lower behind the fairing, which is advantageous in headwinds. My primary reason for the buying this used 2-Up Reach seat was to give my wife the 15" wide passenger surface versus the OEM 8" surface! You can't make a wife TOO happy, no matter how hard you try . . .

Jim G

Old Yesterday, 11:17 PM
MikeRG3
Cruiser
Veteran: Navy
Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts
Default Seat test

Originally Posted by JimGnitecki
Mike that shows how much we each vary in what we need for comfort. I have sat on the oEM seat for up to 3 hours at a time, and the only thing I would have changed was moving the seat pocket where you can sit forward about an inch. No soreness. I just would ideally like to be a bit closer to the handlebars. The 2-up Reach seat moves me a bit further forward than I would ideally want (1.5" versus 1'), but also tucks me 0.8" lower behind the fairing, which is advantageous in headwinds. My primary reason for the buying this used 2-Up Reach seat was to give my wife the 15" wide passenger surface versus the OEM 8" surface! You can't make a wife TOO happy, no matter how hard you try . . .

Jim G
Jim,
A true seat test is at least 500 miles and being in the seat all day.

Sounds like you aren’t crazy about ur stock seat too.
The saying goes like this.
Happy wife, happy life.
Ride safe
Mike

Old Today, 07:15 AM
JimGnitecki
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by MikeRG3
Jim,
A true seat test is at least 500 miles and being in the seat all day.

Sounds like you aren’t crazy about ur stock seat too.
The saying goes like this.
Happy wife, happy life.
Ride safe
Mike
True about the wife!

Old Today, 12:55 PM
miner999r
Road Captain
Received 228 Likes on 132 Posts

The old RZ seat that worked on my 2010 FLHTCU also fits and works on my 21 Tri-Glide with a minor power cable mod. It is most comfortable from me but wife does not like it and prefers stock seat. The stock seat isn't that bad with a sheep skin under your tail on hot or cold days.