Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

DK Discrete, External Breather System, catch can

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2024, 01:28 PM
Noodles107
HDF Community Team
Received 176 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Goose_NC
I like that setup!! Is the stock cover pressed against the filter to help support it? I think it could flex and break if it just sits on the center bolt. Just concerned about the metal cover vibrating, or my leg pressing against it, and causing it to break.
Take the entire OEM Air Cleaner setup off

Keep the Chrome Cover and Rubber Trim (secure the trim piece with silicone)

Install the new AC with provided bracket for the OEM Cover

Reinstall OEM Cover

I too had the same concerns about the stock cover. Movement, vibration, my leg leaning on it etc etc ... Never moves at all ever. Cause me ... I still check it after every ride ... cause me

The following users liked this post:
DK Custom (09-14-2024)
Old 09-13-2024, 01:37 PM
Noodles107
HDF Community Team
Received 176 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by asa1199
The piece of rag soaks up condensation then drys or the canister fills with water.
Ask me how I know.
Don't care much about the rag thing ... Mini Pod Filter works great for me. What is awesome to me is the 70's Sunburst Guitar Paint Job on the Tri !!! Is that your Trike? I absolutely love the paint job. I have followed it since it was released and I think the paint job should be available on way more than only 4 models. Just sayin ... love it!

The following 2 users liked this post by Noodles107:
asa1199 (09-14-2024), DK Custom (09-14-2024)
Old 09-14-2024, 07:19 AM
TOHOG
Supporter
Received 145 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by asa1199
The piece of rag soaks up condensation then drys or the canister fills with water.
Ask me how I know.
I have found the piece of shop towel is totally soaked through as are the filters in the can. It’s never full of liquid but totally soaked of oily/water and will blow out of the vent holes in the top of the can.

I have a dumb question (not my first). “Why filter crap at all? Why not just trap it and then empty and dispose of the crap?” What is the value of the filtering if it is all trash anyway?

Old 09-14-2024, 07:46 AM
JimGnitecki
Stellar HDF Member
Received 386 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by TOHOG

. . . I have a dumb question (not my first). “Why filter crap at all? Why not just trap it and then empty and dispose of the crap?” What is the value of the filtering if it is all trash anyway?
Without the cloth or a filter, the dirty oily liquid sprays out onto the bike, because it is, by definition, under slight pressure. (If it were not, it would never have gotten to the can). And you cannot just "seal" the can "trapping" it all, because then you are just "blocking" the entire breather system from working at all. You need an air outlet for it to work.

In "the old days", breatehr systems were just a long rubber tube that was routed to around the rear bottom of the crankcase and allowed to eject its crap right into the atmosphere (and sometimes right onto the rear tire if someone misrouted the tubing!). EPA rules made that illegal for a manufacturer to do it that way.

Jim G

The following 2 users liked this post by JimGnitecki:
DK Custom (09-14-2024), TOHOG (09-15-2024)
Old 09-14-2024, 09:38 AM
MikeRG3
Cruiser
Veteran: Navy
Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts
Default Oily Mess

I have found the piece of shop towel is totally soaked through as are the filters in the can. It’s never full of liquid but totally soaked of oily/water and will blow out of the vent holes in the top of the can.

I have a dumb question (not my first). “Why filter crap at all? Why not just trap it and then empty and dispose of the crap?” What is the value of the filtering if it is all trash anyway?
Tohog,
That was my thought too. They’re just trying to slow the stuff down from escaping the holes in top making a mess below the bike.

I think having a filter might work better, all depends on how much blowby one has I suppose.

I read on this forum somewhere they had a filter and they just sprayed it when they washed their bike, problem solved.

DK Custom (09-14-2024)
Old 09-14-2024, 03:08 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,199 Likes on 2,440 Posts

Nice job. I have a similar setup on my 2018. I am wondering if others who have this DK (or other) Catch Can find it filling up and spraying dirty oil/water onto the bike. If I do not remove and clean mine every 700-1000 miles, it becomes a real mess.
I am careful to not over fill with engine oil.

If others experience this, have you found a fix of some kind or do you just remove and clean frequently?
If your catch can is filling up more often than every 2000-3000 miles, it is probably for one of the 3 reasons listed below:
1. Lots of short rides, especially in cooler weather, where the engine does not get hot enough to burn off the condensation.
2. Oil level is overfull in the oil tank
3. Engine has worn parts that are letting oil go where it shouldn't.

If you don't want to address any of the above, get a filter and replace the catch can with a filter, located down low.

That is what I run on my Sporty (photo below) and works great.

I also run that on my TG and it is super easy to clean whenever you wash the bike. No removal needed. Check out the video below.

Kevin

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

The following 2 users liked this post by DK Custom:
MikeRG3 (Today), TOHOG (09-15-2024)
Old 09-14-2024, 03:18 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

The foam and baffles in the catch-can are designed to catch the oil and condensation, keeping it in the can, instead of blowing it out the vent holes in the cover.

We have enough Customers that have excessive blow-by, that are filling up the catch-cans more often than is desirable (3000-5000 miles is typical) that we have been testing larger catch-cans for the last 3 months.

The reason I run a filter on the end of my EBS hose is that it absorbs the oil, rather than it dripping where ever I park.

Kevin

Old 09-14-2024, 03:22 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by MikeRG3
I installed the DK Customs EBS today on my RG3. It installs pretty easy, had to drill a hole in the metal backing plate to run the hose through. I drilled the hole where I thought was best to run the hose unseen under the tank.

Drilled the hole .010 inch smaller than hose diameter for a tight fit for no leaks. Calibers or micrometer required for that.

No more hot oily fumes entering my intake.
Why did I wait?

Opening the package from DK I must of damaged the spare Catch Can O-Ring, They graciously sent me TWO more and some stickers and a cool cleaning towel free.

Completely satisfied with the Discrete kit. Took a couple of pics, Catch Can might be a little low, we’ll see how it goes. Easy to raise it up.

Mike

How I decided to install it, doesn’t block intake.

Almost invisible easy installation.

Why not install a sticker inside

DK Catch Can

Sleeper SE K and N, now with DK Discrete EBS

Runs good
Originally Posted by Noodles107
I went with the DK Billet Aluminum Transformer EBS into the K&N Mini Pod Filter. For me this is the finest performer and absolutely the greatest looking cleanest install.

This is topped off with the Outlaw HiFlow 606 Air Cleaner System. Along with a perfect look, this is a “real” performance set up.

Originally Posted by theheder
I also run the EBS on my trike

Hey guys,

Thank you for your business, we appreciate it. Great photos, and glad y'all are happy with the parts.

Kevin

The following 2 users liked this post by DK Custom:
MikeRG3 (09-14-2024), Noodles107 (09-14-2024)
Old 09-14-2024, 03:52 PM
JimGnitecki
Stellar HDF Member
Received 386 Likes on 253 Posts

kevin, where would the OEM breather lines be in this, my HD Heavy Breather Extreme setup?

Jim G

Old 09-14-2024, 06:53 PM
asa1199
Tourer
Veteran: Army
Received 116 Likes on 60 Posts

Noodles107, Thanks that why I bought it. Could not find one to buy and just happened to be at a dealer when the HD truck showed up and unloaded it.

Noodles107 (09-14-2024)

Quick Reply: DK Discrete, External Breather System, catch can