Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

HD Bluetooth tuner gauages show my M8 114 trike runs hotter than my Breakout 117 did AND varies a LOT

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2024, 11:52 PM
MikeRG3
Cruiser

Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts
Default Plan

Originally Posted by JimGnitecki
Mike, I plan to test a multiple temperatures, but I want a "normal" baseline" test FIRST, because I want to know how good or bad the oil temperature is under normal conditions. Then, I can gradually test at multiple temperatures to see how high I can go, and for how LONG, without worrying about oil temperature.

Jim G
Jim,
Sounds like a plan. I have one I’m thinking of too.
Good luck
Mike

Old 09-08-2024, 10:39 AM
JimGnitecki
Stellar HDF Member
Received 380 Likes on 250 Posts

MikeRG3: I got a chance to go out this morning, AND even got to do my Smart tune (the HD software did NOT show the erroneous "low battery volatge" message this time, so I was able to do a really long and good Smart Tune recording, AND record the oil temperature versus reported engine temperature at several different data points!

The oil temperature part of the test was particularly meaningful, despite the slightly cool ambient temperatures (11 to 16C = 52 to 61F), because doing a Smart Tune requires running the trike with both very light and very hard lrpm and throttle oads in order to capture as much data as possible to populate the throttle % versus rpm table. In other words, the Smart Tune recording session involved running the engine at every imaginable combination of rpm and throttle, so it is a very comprehensive test of extreme oil temperatures encountered, at least within a given ambient outdoor temperature range.

I will publish my results on the forum in a brand new dedicated thread, but I can tell you right now: Oil temperature runs WAY lower than the reported engine temperature from that sensor in the rear cylinder head! The oil temperature NEVER got above 216F in this test at ambient temperatire range of 52 to 61F. That little oil cooler on the trikes works GREAT in that ambient temperature range!

I will later do another test of oil temperature versus engine head temperature when I can get ambient conditions in the 25 to 27C = 77 to 81F degree range. I pick that range simply because I refuse to ride in anything hotter than 27C = 81F. YOU might need to go higher given your geographic location!

Jim G

Old 09-08-2024, 04:56 PM
MikeRG3
Cruiser

Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts
Default Oil Temp test

Jim,
Sounds like it worked out for you. Lower temps mean good news too.

Im sure your gonna test warmer temps too cuz you never know when you might get caught out in it.

Wow 81 deg F riding limit, down here in S Central KS that’s a nice day lol. When it gets up to 95 deg F is when I draw the line. Heck here some mornings it doesn’t get lower than 80 deg F.

Momma and I did some riding today. The last ride I rode the bike a little hard. Kept the speed at a minimum of 82 mph. Rode from Wichita, KS to north of Newton, KS and back then east to Towanda KS.

Passed a lot of cars. At end of the two up run with the TriGlide rear half I pulled over and read the temp right away after 45 minutes of 82 plus mph the temp read 267 deg F., after 70 some miles!

Considering all the pushing I did that temp isn’t to bad, I was impressed.

Now I guess I’ll need a warmer day like close to 90 deg F.

In the past we hammered to Sturgis from Wichita as a group running close to those speeds but in August (Ouch)

We would leave 6 AM to beat the heat in KS and NE getting to HWY 90 as soon as possible then it’s still pretty warm in SD.

So in my temporary tests I’ll see what it takes to keep oil temp 260 deg F and below looking for longevity of the 114 ci.

Bike ran awesome at 81 deg F.

So far we’re Stage 1 with Bassani headers to TAD BAM Zombie pipes, with an aftermarket KandN intake. Still need to install the DK Customs EBS to stop the hot oily oil being sucked down its throat.

After that maybe a couple more things to try so we can travel in summer time.

Look forward to all the results and ride safe!
Mike

Old 09-08-2024, 05:22 PM
JimGnitecki
Stellar HDF Member
Received 380 Likes on 250 Posts

Mike, here is the link to my results which I just posted:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/tri-g...uch-lower.html

Jim G