Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

HD Bluetooth tuner gauages show my M8 114 trike runs hotter than my Breakout 117 did AND varies a LOT

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2024, 11:45 AM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 30,781 Likes on 11,578 Posts

The only bikes that overheat are the ones with temperature gauges. And trikes run hotter than their 2 wheel cousins because they are hauling more weight, and the air flow across the motor is disturbed because of the wide rear end.

The following 4 users liked this post by TriGeezer:
Noodles107 (09-04-2024), rigidthumper (09-04-2024), ShovelEd (09-04-2024), TOHOG (09-08-2024)
Old 09-04-2024, 02:06 PM
MikeRG3
Cruiser

Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts
Default Oil Temp

Jim,
I suppose we should be looking at OIL temperature since oil breakdown due to excessive heat will do the biggest damage.

I asked my dealer about installing an oil temp gauge, they said that it wouldn’t be a good idea to put one on my bike and that it MIGHT void the warranty.

Now that is interesting at a minimum!

Another question, would it be better to run 50 weight regular oil instead of SYN 3, 20 W 50 ?

Maybe we should look more into our Oil Cooler on our bikes. Think I read they have a fan although I’ve never heard it or seen it.

I’ve also read that our Air Cooled bikes run cooler than the water head cooled bikes.

Anyone with real facts please post the information.

One thing for sure is that I have learned quite a bit from this forum, and thank everyone for helping!!!

MikeRG3

Old 09-04-2024, 02:11 PM
NZLowrider
Tourer
Received 198 Likes on 124 Posts

You should be able to get a dipstick with a temp gauge on it to measure oil temp

Old 09-04-2024, 02:15 PM
JimGnitecki
Stellar HDF Member
Received 380 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeRG3
Jim,
I suppose we should be looking at OIL temperature since oil breakdown due to excessive heat will do the biggest damage.

I asked my dealer about installing an oil temp gauge, they said that it wouldn’t be a good idea to put one on my bike and that it MIGHT void the warranty.

Another question, would it be better to run 50 weight regular oil instead of SYN 3, 20 W 50 ?

Maybe we should look more into our Oil Cooler on our bikes. Think I read they have a fan although I’ve never heard it or seen it.

I’ve also read that our Air Cooled bikes run cooler than the water head cooled bikes.

One thing for sure is that I have learned quite a bit from this forum, and thank everyone for helping!!!

MikeRG3
MikeRG3: Do NOT run non-synthetic oil after the bike's break-in has been completed. The non-synthetic oil is used only for the break-in period, in order to enable faster break-in. After the break-in, you want to use the synthetic oil for a very good reason: It handles heat MUCH better than the non-syntheitc oil. Non-Synthetic oil degrades VERY rapidly in engines that run hot - Donny Peterson's last book before he passed away actually said that engine heat in the 300 degree range will cut the service life of non-syn oil by 80%!

Since everyone agrees that our trikes run hot, it makes sense to get the synthetic oil in there as soon as practical.

Jim G

Jim G

Old 09-04-2024, 02:17 PM
JimGnitecki
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by NZLowrider
You should be able to get a dipstick with a temp gauge on it to measure oil temp
You are correct. I have been WAITING for mine to get to my HD dealer, and then to be mailed to me (my dealer is 175 km away).

Jim G

The following users liked this post:
NZLowrider (09-04-2024)
Old 09-04-2024, 04:36 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 30,781 Likes on 11,578 Posts

Jim,

MikeRG3
You’re worrying too much. Just ride it, and use the oil recommended. We all have a preference on the brand, and that’s another story.

Old 09-04-2024, 05:30 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,197 Likes on 2,440 Posts

A Tank Lift is good for a 10-15 F degree drop in Engine temp.

Yes, those temps are "normal", but not right. You can see a video on that below. Also in this video it talks about the relationship between oil temps and engine temps on the M8.

Here is another video on folks that say 300F is normal.

Kevin

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 09-04-2024, 08:58 PM
MikeRG3
Cruiser

Default Oil Temp gauge!!

TriGeezer,

No not worried about it just concerned. We have a lot of money tied up with this new bike. Had the bike 90 days and has 5K miles already!

It has a lot of accessories on it already too. I will get an Oil Temp gauge that goes in the dipstick hole. I want a quality gauge not a cheapie. Then later get one I can view while riding.
Had one on my 1957 FLH Panhead years ago.

Kevin thanks for the info, much appreciated!

Mike

The following users liked this post:
DK Custom (09-05-2024)
Old 09-07-2024, 01:43 PM
MikeRG3
Cruiser

Default New Temperature Guage installed.

Just rode over and picked up my chrome Temperature gauge dipstick from a dealer.
Part number is 62700180
This is the one for 17-later touring but they said it wont fit the RG3. It fits and screws in just fine but the marks for checking oil levels are incorrect!

Road about 14 miles on HWY about 78 miles per hour. When I got to my turn off exit I stopped and had a temp of 243 Deg F.

I rode only 1 up and had a small head wind of 8 mph.

I usually ride two up, and I have not installed my EBS from DK customs yet.
More temp tests in future.
Mike

Old 09-07-2024, 01:48 PM
JimGnitecki
Stellar HDF Member

Just rode over and picked up my chrome Temperature gauge dipstick from a dealer.
Part number is 62700180
This is the one for 17-later touring but they said it wont fit the RG3. It fits and screws in just fine but the marks for checking oil levels are incorrect!

Road about 14 miles on HWY about 78 miles per hour. When I got to my turn off exit I stopped and had a temp of 243 Deg F.

I rode only 1 up and had a small head wind of 8 mph.

I usually ride two up, and I have not installed my EBS from DK customs yet.
More temp tests in future.
Mike
they
Mike, I checked my LED one against my OEM one, and the dipsticks are a different length. However, the important thing is that BOTH have the "add oil" mark at exactly the same distance from the cap! I got my gauged primarily to monitor temperature (since my RG3 does not appear to consume any oil, and neither did my Breakout. The temperature monitoring is what I want. I want to see how the OIL temperature behaves versus what is reported as the ENGINE temperature. The oil level thing is nice to have but not essential.

I also asked my HD dealer service manager. he said no issues with using it a slong as you understand it may be marked differently than the OEM gauge on the trike. It won't cause any harm.

Jim G

Last edited by JimGnitecki; 09-07-2024 at 01:50 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by JimGnitecki:
MikeRG3 (09-07-2024), Schex (09-07-2024)

Quick Reply: HD Bluetooth tuner gauages show my M8 114 trike runs hotter than my Breakout 117 did AND varies a LOT