Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

NOTE: Trike tire load ratings NOT the same for all models & all model years!

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2024, 06:34 AM
CoolBreeze3646
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 21,921 Likes on 7,607 Posts

Just a note as there are a few differences between the Tri-Glide & RG3 besides the tires & rim sizes that may contribute to ride differences.

Looks like there is a difference in the shock absorbers for one:

Tri-Glide Shocks: PN 54000144
SHOCK,RR,LH/RH,EMULSION,W/DIAL ADJUST | complete (2 shocks)
Price: $1,010.22

RG3 Shocks: 54000146

Old 08-23-2024, 06:49 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,098 Likes on 3,648 Posts

Originally Posted by Rogue1
Sorry, my attention span does not allow me to read all of this.
Read what?

Old 08-23-2024, 08:51 AM
JimGnitecki
Stellar HDF Member
Received 380 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by CoolBreeze3646
Just a note as there are a few differences between the Tri-Glide & RG3 besides the tires & rim sizes that may contribute to ride differences.

Looks like there is a difference in the shock absorbers for one:

Tri-Glide Shocks: PN 54000144

RG3 Shocks: 54000146
YES! And I also examined the 2 adjustment tables for the TriGlide and the RG3 and Freewheeler: for identical total rider/passenger/luggage weights on each model, they specify different shock absorber settings. So, yes, the different settings compensate for the different shock absorbers and probably also the different tires (different sidewall heights, different rubber hardness, etc).

Jim G

Last edited by JimGnitecki; 08-23-2024 at 08:57 AM.
Old 08-23-2024, 08:59 AM
JimGnitecki
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Rogue1
Sorry, my attention span does not allow me to read all of this.
Yeah, but I don't dumb down my comments for folks who are a bit lazy! If you wanna learn, you gotta read! You hated being in school, right? A man of action, not a talker!

Jim G

Old 08-23-2024, 10:18 AM
Powermankw
Tourer
Received 122 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by JimGnitecki
Yeah, but I don't dumb down my comments for folks who are a bit lazy! If you wanna learn, you gotta read! You hated being in school, right? A man of action, not a talker!

Jim G
Writing that is consise and focused aids reading enjoyment.

The point is, trikes do use passenger car tires. Using the recommended tire pressure of 32 psi is much too stiff for the given load. Going down to low 20s is absolutely legit to run the tire in the proper range for traction, wear and comfort.

Your tires give max load ratings as all tires do, and recommended tire pressure for the application. Nobody ever claimed all ratings apply to all tires and all applications.... That there is a blanket statement for all trikes. We already know the low profiles tires on the new trikes are not the same.

My load ratings say recommended tire pressure for my F-250 super duty is 65 psi... Ya, when I have MAX payload which I rarely do. Unloaded, that's improper inflation and pretty unbearable. I run my tires 40 F and 35 R for proper wear and traction unloaded. That is 100% accurate pressure for the tires unloaded.

Trikes are no different. You buy the appropriate load rating for tires, not just proper size. You run the appropriate tire pressure for a given load regardless of old or new. Max rating is a limit.

The following users liked this post:
ChopperBill (08-24-2024)
Old 08-23-2024, 01:17 PM
JimGnitecki
Stellar HDF Member

I did a tire pressure check testing 80 km ride this morning on my 2023 RG3 with tis low profile tires. Because I am in "metric" Canada, my tire psi numbers display in Kpa, not psi. But here is what the test results showed:

HD's recommended cold psi = Front 248 Kpa / 36 psi Rear 179 Kpa / 26 psi (Note: 6.88 multiplier from psi to get Kpa)
Actual cold psi from dealer = Front 244 Kpa / 35.5 Rear 182 Kpa / 26.5 psi
Actual Hot after 80 km = Front 260 Kpa / 37.8 Rear 188 Kpa / 27.3 psi

% increase from cold to hot = Front 6.5% Rear 3.3%

Given that most tire experts say that a 10% increase in tire pressure when hot versus cold generally gives the best tire performance, it would seem, that at least for a lone rider without passenger or luggage, both the front and rear recommended tire pressures for my 2023 RG3 are too high, with the rear being particularly too high.

The ride did not feel harsh this morning during this tire pressure test. But, on the other hand, it did not feel plush either, and some road bumps DID feel pretty hard.

I wonder how how much lower I could go with the tire pressures without the TPMS warning lighting up.

Jim G

Old 08-23-2024, 01:35 PM
Goose_NC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,761 Likes on 2,241 Posts

Originally Posted by Powermankw
Writing that is consise and focused aids reading enjoyment.

The point is, trikes do use passenger car tires. Using the recommended tire pressure of 32 psi is much too stiff for the given load. Going down to low 20s is absolutely legit to run the tire in the proper range for traction, wear and comfort.

Your tires give max load ratings as all tires do, and recommended tire pressure for the application. Nobody ever claimed all ratings apply to all tires and all applications.... That there is a blanket statement for all trikes. We already know the low profiles tires on the new trikes are not the same.

My load ratings say recommended tire pressure for my F-250 super duty is 65 psi... Ya, when I have MAX payload which I rarely do. Unloaded, that's improper inflation and pretty unbearable. I run my tires 40 F and 35 R for proper wear and traction unloaded. That is 100% accurate pressure for the tires unloaded.

Trikes are no different. You buy the appropriate load rating for tires, not just proper size. You run the appropriate tire pressure for a given load regardless of old or new. Max rating is a limit.
Did you miss the statement that the stock tires were not regular car tires? He reported that comparing the same size car tires has a larger load capacity than the HD branded trike tires.

Old 08-23-2024, 01:42 PM
Noodles107
HDF Community Team
Received 175 Likes on 99 Posts

Trying to piggy back a “Tire” question onto a tire thread …

I never see any interesting rear tire sidewalls like the throwback “Red Stripe” or anything with “Raised White Letters” Is there a reason for this? Anyone running a unique “sidewall”

Old 08-23-2024, 02:34 PM
Goose_NC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,761 Likes on 2,241 Posts

Originally Posted by Noodles107
Trying to piggy back a “Tire” question onto a tire thread …

I never see any interesting rear tire sidewalls like the throwback “Red Stripe” or anything with “Raised White Letters” Is there a reason for this? Anyone running a unique “sidewall”

Not enough side wall for these tires.

Old 08-23-2024, 03:09 PM
Noodles107
HDF Community Team
Received 175 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Goose_NC
Not enough side wall for these tires.
Are you saying these don’t have enough sidewall? I’m pretty sure they come in the same size as stock …

Quick Reply: NOTE: Trike tire load ratings NOT the same for all models & all model years!