Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Outside-to-outside width of Road glide 3 tires?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2024, 01:16 PM
JimGnitecki
Stellar HDF Member
Received 369 Likes on 242 Posts
Default Outside-to-outside width of Road glide 3 tires?

I don't have my RG3 yet, so cannot yet myself measure the outside-to-outside width of the tires as mounted on the trike. I know that the maximum width at the fenders' outer edges is 55 inches, but the width at the outer sidewalls of the tires is obviously less.

I have a local opporutnity to buy a really robust motorcycle / ATV table lift that has the right features to both fit and be usable for my primary purposes (mostly wash & clean the RG3, and some mods and minor adjustments). I could actuall ypakr the RG3 on it (hopefully) so no extra space consumed, and even washing the trike would not get water anywhere it should not get.

BUT, it is only 48 inches wide. So, I think it will prove to be too narrow, as the tires probably would stick out to the side, beyond the lift table width, by more than a small nominal amount.

But, I thought i should at least check.

I cannot find that RG3 outside sidewall to outside sidewall spec anywhere so far.

Could someone with an RG3 do a quick measurment on my behalf?

Jim G

Old 08-17-2024, 01:25 PM
ShovelEd
Club Member
Received 44,665 Likes on 11,523 Posts

This is my lift at 51” wide with a TriGlide Ultra.
48” would be cutting it too close for my tastes.
Have you phoned the local dealer and asked them for a measurement?

ETA: What is the rated weight capacity?

Last edited by ShovelEd; 08-17-2024 at 01:30 PM.
Old 08-17-2024, 01:34 PM
JimGnitecki
Stellar HDF Member

The capacity is 1500 lb, and my RG3 will be 1160 lb, so ok on weight. But, yeah, probably TOO close on width. The dealership is experiencing a peak workload yesterday and into next week, and so I have had trouble reaching anyone in Service to ask questions about my RG3. Hopefully someone out here on the forum can get the measurement.

Jim G

Old 08-17-2024, 02:52 PM
JimGnitecki
Stellar HDF Member

I just found the actual width of the tabletop online, and it is 50 inches, not "4 feet" as the seller sloppily stated. So, not quite as narrow as I thought. I finally got through to someone at the dealership, who said she would have someone take the measurement on the RG3 and call me. Hopefully, before they go home for the rest of the weekend.

Jim G

Old 08-17-2024, 02:57 PM
JimGnitecki
Stellar HDF Member

ShovelEd: Your photo of your lift is a bit dark, so I cannot quite tell: Are your tire outersidewalls sidewalls overhanging the sides of the tabletop at all, or are they at or within the width of the tabletop?

Jim G

Old 08-17-2024, 04:31 PM
rocksandgiz
Road Captain
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

I went down to the garage and measured mine. It's 52" outside rear tire to rear tire. Went for a nice ride today. A bit hot but felt good to be riding. Sure beats working.

The following 2 users liked this post by rocksandgiz:
5wheels (08-19-2024), JimGnitecki (08-17-2024)
Old 08-17-2024, 04:38 PM
JimGnitecki
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by rocksandgiz
I went down to the garage and measured mine. It's 52" outside rear tire to rear tire. Went for a nice ride today. A bit hot but felt good to be riding. Sure beats working.
Thank-you for taking the actual measurement, rocksandgiz! That makes the 50" wide lift too narrow - the tire sidewalls would stick out a full inch on each side of the lift.

Jim G

Old 08-17-2024, 04:50 PM
ShovelEd
Club Member

Originally Posted by JimGnitecki
ShovelEd: Your photo of your lift is a bit dark, so I cannot quite tell: Are your tire outersidewalls sidewalls overhanging the sides of the tabletop at all, or are they at or within the width of the tabletop?

Jim G
Edge of sidewalls equals edge of extensions.
Actual Tread is about 1”ish to the inside.

Old 08-17-2024, 05:14 PM
JimGnitecki
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by ShovelEd
Edge of sidewalls equals edge of extensions.
Actual Tread is about 1”ish to the inside.
So the sidewall of EACH tire overhangs 1" beyond the outside edge of the tread? If so, that makes the outside edges of the treads on the 2 tires at about 51 minus 2 = 49" apart. Technically "ok" since it is the tread, not the sidewall that puts the weight on the lift, BUT I suspect getting that perfect an alignment of the trike on approaching the lift would be pretty tough! And, I would need to do that perfect alignment EVERY time I return from a ride, since total square footage free in the garage, and the door locations, make it too hard to put the lift in any other location, so I would need to park the trike on top of the lowered lift all the time.

Equally concerning is the fact that your measurement and rockandgiz's measurements are different. We are talking a full inch of difference in the measurements the two of you took (52" versus 51")! I know that Harley has varied wheel diameter and tire section profile in different years and trike models. Has Harley varied the tire section profile THAT much?

Supposedly, my 2023 RG3 comes with 215/45-R18 tires (I did not "audit" that when I took my test ride a few days ago, as I had not even thought about a tabletop lift at that time). The "nominal" tire width implied by that rating is 215mm / 25.4mm/inch = 8.46", but as we all know, tire manufactures deviate a lot from nominal. My Breakout's 240mm tire is actually about 9.25" wide at its widest sidewall width versus the nominal 9.44". And if HD changed tire sizes and brands from year to year, all bests are off - I need that actual measurement on MY RG3 from the dealer.

But I have not gotten a return call from my dealer on the actual measurement on my 2023 RG3, and they are about to close right now. Sigh.

Jim G

Last edited by JimGnitecki; 08-17-2024 at 05:25 PM.
Old 08-17-2024, 05:23 PM
ShovelEd
Club Member

I’ll walk out to the garage and take a better picture…… BRB

My lift:
https://www.derekweaver.com/bikers-g...torcycle-lift/

Last edited by ShovelEd; 08-17-2024 at 05:38 PM.

Quick Reply: Outside-to-outside width of Road glide 3 tires?