Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Outside-to-outside width of Road glide 3 tires?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2024, 07:03 PM
CoolBreeze3646
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 21,901 Likes on 7,603 Posts

On my lift, sometimes I do not get the trike exactly aligned when I drive it up on the lift. One of the tires will hang over a bit on one side or the other, does not seem to hurt anything. Not going to fall off. However, if I am going to lift it, I get it centered so both tires are within the lift for lift stability.

Also the side trays on my Red Line lift move a bit so I can move them in and out about an inch total, 1/2 inch each side.
I went with the Red Line as I have other motorcycles I work on and did not want a dedicated trike lift.

Also of note is I installed an additional hydraulic valve to slow the lift while coming down as once it down about 3/4 of the way it would come down rapidly because of the weight and the angle of the hydraulic ram (piston). I can slow it or stop it completely with the valve.

My lift with modifications (put a chock instead of the vice) : https://www.redlinestands.com/catalo...ensions-p-3143

Last edited by CoolBreeze3646; 08-17-2024 at 07:06 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by CoolBreeze3646:
Cagmo (08-18-2024), ShovelEd (08-17-2024)
Old 08-17-2024, 07:15 PM
JimGnitecki
Stellar HDF Member
Received 380 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by CoolBreeze3646
On my lift, sometimes I do not get the trike exactly aligned when I drive it up on the lift. One of the tires will hang over a bit on one side or the other, does not seem to hurt anything. Not going to fall off. However, if I am going to lift it, I get it centered so both tires are within the lift for lift stability.

Also the side trays on my Red Line lift move a bit so I can move them in and out about an inch total, 1/2 inch each side.
I went with the Red Line as I have other motorcycles I work on and did not want a dedicated trike lift.

Also of note is I installed an additional hydraulic valve to slow the lift while coming down as once it down about 3/4 of the way it would come down rapidly because of the weight and the angle of the hydraulic ram (piston). I can slow it or stop it completely with the valve.

My lift with modifications (put a chock instead of the vice) : https://www.redlinestands.com/catalo...ensions-p-3143
In the photos it looks like your trike's tires are hanging out beyond the table, but the angular perspective makes it hard to know for sure. And it looks like you have the higher sidewall tires comapred to the low profile tires on my RG3. What is the outside tiresidewall measureme ton YOUR trike with those wheels and tires you have?

Jim G

Old 08-17-2024, 07:30 PM
CoolBreeze3646
Seasoned HDF Member

Yes one of the tires is out beyond the table, too lazy to back it off and put it back on centered. Sometimes I get it centered, sometimes not, all depends when I drive it up after a ride. I will do that (center the rear wheels) if I am going to lift the trike, otherwise it is just parked there with the lift down and does not hurt anything.

As for the sidewalls, do not know. If you have low profile tires I expect the ride will be a little harsher and not have as much tire side wall bulge.

I expect the side wall measurement is the same as what was posted in ShovelEd's picture as they look to be the same tire.

Old 08-17-2024, 07:36 PM
WP50
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,864 Likes on 1,262 Posts

If you have an inch or 2-3 off of one side or the other ain't gonna kill anything.
Go for it Sir

WP

Old 08-17-2024, 08:24 PM
JimGnitecki
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by WP50
If you have an inch or 2-3 off of one side or the other ain't gonna kill anything.
Go for it Sir

WP
You might be right. The total weight on the rear axle of an HD trike is apparently just over 800 lb, so about 400 lb on each of the rear tires. A 215mm wide tire is often used at each croner of a 4000 lb car, so is carrying about 1000 lb of static (not dynamic) load when just sitting there. Our trike loading is only 400 / 1000 = 40% of that. Dynamic conditions (when the trike is moving down a road) of course alter that, but the bike and lift are both stationary. Hmm . . .

You think my concern about parking it like that on the lift for extended periods of time between rides will not cause any distortion in the tires that would cause any unfavorable "set" (like the flat spot caused by winter storage withou moving the vehicle occasionally)?

The lift seller is asking about 50% of new cost, $1000 CDN versus $1900+tax new, and that's Canadian dollars which converts to only $720 to $730 US at current exchange rates, and apparently the lift has only beend used "a couple of times" in the guy's garage.

Also, this lift can be operated by EITHER air, or by a foot pedal which the seller himself tried and found to be "easy".

Here's a photo from the original website ads:

It supposedly weighs 810 lb.

Jim G

Last edited by JimGnitecki; 08-17-2024 at 08:34 PM.
Old 08-17-2024, 08:35 PM
CoolBreeze3646
Seasoned HDF Member

I do rotate my valve stem caps monthly during the winter.

Got almost 40K on the trike rear tires and no distortion yet; however, I do ride year around as long as the weather is above 40 degrees F and there is no salt/snow on the roadways.

The following users liked this post:
Rogue1 (08-18-2024)
Old 08-17-2024, 09:26 PM
JimGnitecki
Stellar HDF Member

How steep a ramp can ouir trikes climb onto a tabletop lift without catching their undercarriage anywhere at the point where the angled ramp and the tabletop meet? I'm asking this because the tabletop on the lift I have described above, when in its lowest position, is 6.75" above the floor. The ramp is only 21" long. So the approach angle is about 18 degrees.

Jim G

Old 08-17-2024, 09:31 PM
LoneRiderFLH
Road Warrior
Received 974 Likes on 421 Posts

My table came with a 20” ramp. Had to make 20” ramp extensions for Roadking. Easily done with 2X6s and plywood

Old 08-17-2024, 09:43 PM
ShovelEd
Club Member
Received 44,963 Likes on 11,594 Posts

Originally Posted by JimGnitecki
How steep a ramp can ouir trikes climb onto a tabletop lift without catching their undercarriage anywhere at the point where the angled ramp and the tabletop meet? I'm asking this because the tabletop on the lift I have described above, when in its lowest position, is 6.75" above the floor. The ramp is only 21" long. So the approach angle is about 18 degrees.

Jim G
I use a thick (1”) door threshold from Lowe’s under the lip of my approach ramp to prevent the exhaust tips from scraping, also had to rotate the muffler clamps to make sure the bolt portion doesn’t catch on the edge when backing off.

Last edited by ShovelEd; 08-17-2024 at 09:45 PM.
The following users liked this post:
JimGnitecki (08-17-2024)
Old 08-17-2024, 09:44 PM
JimGnitecki
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by ShovelEd
I use a thick (1”) door threshold from Lowe’s under the lip of my approach ramp to prevent the exhaust tips from scraping
Clever, inexpensive solution.

Jim G

Quick Reply: Outside-to-outside width of Road glide 3 tires?