Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Shut Off Tire Pressure Monitor ???

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2024, 08:16 AM
Uncletriglide
Intermediate
Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Lower Rear Tire Pressure

I have no idea what to do about the TPMS light, but
for what it is worth, I am in complete agreement with
DK Customs.
This size/type of tire will carry well over 1,400 pounds EACH at 26 psi.
Let's say your trike weighs 1,350 lbs.
Add 350 lbs for rider and passenger. (1,700)
Add up to 100 lbs for gear and luggage. (1,800)
With the rear axle carrying 65% of the total weight, that puts 1,170 lbs on both rear tires.
I keep mine at 21 psi.
Since 21 is 80.7% of 26 the adjusted capacity of each tire becomes 1,134 lbs EACH with a total load on both tires of 1,170. The load on each tire is then 585 lbs.
It's SAFE!
I really enjoy riding, and riding HARD!
When I can find some curves I don't cut the suspension or tires a bit of slack, and the tires are wearing evenly, slowly, and ride without any 'drama'.
I would not recommend going below 20 psi, but 20 to 22 works great while still being safe. ENJOY!

The following users liked this post:
DK Custom (08-21-2024)
Old 08-21-2024, 08:36 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,197 Likes on 2,440 Posts

Ford, Firestone, Harley & the Government-

Kevin

Last edited by DK Custom; 08-21-2024 at 08:38 AM.
ShovelEd (08-21-2024)
Old 08-21-2024, 09:20 AM
son of the hounds
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,696 Likes on 1,369 Posts

Silly me, I always thought the psi setting was in the sensor, not the software. I thought when it hit 25#s, it triggered the vehicles low pressure system warning. As my truck got older, they wanted me to replace the tire pressure sensors when I purchased new off-road tires. I had a ford exploder and I hated those sensors as I often ran on soft, marshy, sandy or unconsolidated ground and carried an air pump for when I got back to the hard roads. Disabling the entire system would have been worth it for me. I enjoyed reading this discussion, too late for me, save yourself.

Old 08-21-2024, 05:44 PM
JimGnitecki
Stellar HDF Member
Received 380 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by son of the hounds
Silly me, I always thought the psi setting was in the sensor, not the software. I thought when it hit 25#s, it triggered the vehicles low pressure system warning. As my truck got older, they wanted me to replace the tire pressure sensors when I purchased new off-road tires. I had a ford exploder and I hated those sensors as I often ran on soft, marshy, sandy or unconsolidated ground and carried an air pump for when I got back to the hard roads. Disabling the entire system would have been worth it for me. I enjoyed reading this discussion, too late for me, save yourself.
Yes if you watch the readings on that TPMS, you can see it start at cold psi when you start up the bike cold in a garage or parking lot, and then gradually heat up as the tires get warm. This is very helpful in another way besides just keeping you informed:

General tire pressure theory says that the pressure when the tire are hot should be in the range of about 10% higher than when cold. So, 26 psi cold ideally becomes 26 x 110% = 28.6 psi. If you run 20 psi cold, it should become about 22 psi when hot.

So, I wonder if: If it rises less than about 10%, maybe that shows you have too high a cold pressure, so the tires are not flexing enough to warm up to the right temperature range? If the tire pressure rises more than about 10%, you might not have enough tire pressure to handle the current load? (passenger? Cargo?).

I don't know for sure, as I am no tire expert, but I am tempted to assume that the psi might also rise more when you are riding "aggressively".

Also, would low profile tires heat up less than high profile tires?

So many questions when you open Pandora's box . . .

Jim G

Old 08-21-2024, 05:50 PM
ShovelEd
Club Member
Received 44,985 Likes on 11,597 Posts

^^^^^
My ‘76 Shovelhead FLH doesn’t have those 1st world issues…
👍

Goose_NC (08-21-2024)
Old 08-21-2024, 05:56 PM
JimGnitecki
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by ShovelEd
^^^^^
My ‘76 Shovelhead FLH doesn’t have those 1st world issues…
👍
Yeah, real men don't need those girly toys! If that TPMS thingy warns you that your tire pressure is abnormal, you'll just worry more about it! Better not to see it! Who wants to see impending doom while you can still proactively do something about it! (Like find a safe place to stop, investigate, and make a plan). Real men just take bad luck hits right on the chin!!

Jim G

Old 08-21-2024, 05:57 PM
gonemad
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,306 Likes on 2,939 Posts

Originally Posted by JimGnitecki
Yes if you watch the readings on that TPMS, you can see it start at cold psi when you start up the bike cold in a garage or parking lot, and then gradually heat up as the tires get warm. This is very helpful in another way besides just keeping you informed:

General tire pressure theory says that the pressure when the tire are hot should be in the range of about 10% higher than when cold. So, 26 psi cold ideally becomes 26 x 110% = 28.6 psi. If you run 20 psi cold, it should become about 22 psi when hot.

So, I wonder if: If it rises less than about 10%, maybe that shows you have too high a cold pressure, so the tires are not flexing enough to warm up to the right temperature range? If the tire pressure rises more than about 10%, you might not have enough tire pressure to handle the current load? (passenger? Cargo?).

I don't know for sure, as I am no tire expert, but I am tempted to assume that the psi might also rise more when you are riding "aggressively".

Also, would low profile tires heat up less than high profile tires?

So many questions when you open Pandora's box . . .

Jim G
I’ve had three M-8 touring bikes with TPMS (not trikes) but to address your particular question…

I run 36 front, 40 rear, ambient.
Once I’ve been on the road, say, a half hour, solo, 220lbs, they readily warm up to 40 front and 47 rear.

Old 08-21-2024, 06:12 PM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,786 Posts

Originally Posted by gonemad
Remember Ford Exploders?

Ford was running tire pressures lower than tire mfg recommended levels to prevent rollovers which were heating up tires causing catastrophic tire failures, resulting in crashes, and death.
I have to ask why the guy wants to run low.

No I don't remember ford doing this. But it sounds like a bandaid and not a fix.

I wish had monitors. I have picked up nails a few times. Lost air on interstate in the rain once. A warning would have been nice. You can check your air everytime you get off the bike, as some surely do. But doesn't mean something won't happen on the road 10 minutes later.

Old 08-21-2024, 06:27 PM
ShovelEd
Club Member
Received 44,985 Likes on 11,597 Posts

Originally Posted by JimGnitecki
Yeah, real men don't need those girly toys! If that TPMS thingy warns you that your tire pressure is abnormal, you'll just worry more about it! Better not to see it! Who wants to see impending doom while you can still proactively do something about it! (Like find a safe place to stop, investigate, and make a plan). Real men just take bad luck hits right on the chin!!

Jim G
I can feel if a tire is getting really down on pressure by the way a bike handles.
A small quick wiggle of the bars at a medium speed will show it.
Not quite as well with a trike, though.

New stuff, more sensors, more worries.
Motorcycles didn’t used to be Rocket Science.
This is “Progress”

son of the hounds (08-21-2024)
Old 08-21-2024, 06:33 PM
JimGnitecki
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by ShovelEd
I can feel if a tire is getting really down on pressure by the way a bike handles.
A small quick wiggle of the bars at a medium speed will show it.
Not quite as well with a trike, though.

New stuff, more sensors, more worries.
Motorcycles didn’t used to be Rocket Science.
This is “Progress”
You've certainly got a point. I remember when user manuals for both motorcycles and cars were 50 pages. Now, some are 500 pages. Does get overwhelming.

On the other hand, I love the built-in Navigation on the RG3, and also smaller things like the ability to save your wife's phone number in the"call in an emergency" data slot. One press of the button and she knows you are in trouble and need help. and that electric reverse is trick.

Jim G

Quick Reply: Shut Off Tire Pressure Monitor ???