Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Looking at towing the Tri-Glide

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2024, 10:58 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,226 Likes on 2,460 Posts

Originally Posted by BouseBill
The little Maverick pickup arrived. Ordered on 5/30/24 and arrived at the dealership on 09/17/24 Less than 4 months. 4K tow package so between the trike and trailer it should be just under or right at 2K pounds.

since that picture was take we lowered the front of the trailer another couple of inches so the trailer rides just a tad bit high in the front, with the weight of the trike it should be level.
So we start home on Tuesday, then we'll load the trike up for a short trip over to Eagar AZ to ride AZ 191 ( the old AZ 666)
Sweet set-up!

One of the first things we did with Mary's Maverick was install mud flaps....but I am not sure they would keep everything off the bike/trike in the trailer. I would probably give up some MPG and put some sort of a V shield in the front of the trailer.

Kevin

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

The following users liked this post:
Architect (09-24-2024)
Old 09-23-2024, 12:09 PM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,633 Likes on 1,628 Posts

I have seen people chain the 2 wheels together or to the frame of the trailer. You can always pull a wheel off and leave it on a jackstand too.
Run a tow chain around the rear axle of the truck and trailer . Anything to slow them down.
It's a shame what you have to do to hang onto your stuff now days.

Last edited by hardheaded; 09-23-2024 at 12:11 PM.
MikeRG3 (09-23-2024)
Old 09-23-2024, 02:21 PM
BouseBill
Road Master
Veteran: Army
Received 1,409 Likes on 612 Posts

Originally Posted by DK Custom
Sweet set-up!

One of the first things we did with Mary's Maverick was install mud flaps....but I am not sure they would keep everything off the bike/trike in the trailer. I would probably give up some MPG and put some sort of a V shield in the front of the trailer.

Kevin

I'm thinking aluminum diamond plate rolled over at the top lip, maybe just to the height of the bed?

Old 09-23-2024, 05:14 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by BouseBill
I'm thinking aluminum diamond plate rolled over at the top lip, maybe just to the height of the bed?
Yeah, that should take care of anything coming off the truck. V-shape will not dig into the MPG too bad either...and give you a couple little cubbies in the two front corners.

Kevin

Old 09-24-2024, 01:27 PM
Powermankw
Tourer
Received 146 Likes on 93 Posts

So just curious... Towing a trike and bike... Lowrider ST, not full bagger... What do you need? A friend is letting me borrow his trailer for a couple trips next year. It's like 25ft... More than enough room. In the future, we want a toy hauler... But for now... How much room are we talking? How long for an enclosed, if I went that route? I can stagger somewhat... But I'm sure someone here has done it.

Old 09-24-2024, 10:27 PM
mltdwn
Intermediate
Received 33 Likes on 15 Posts

Stinger fold up trailer. Towed from Chicago through Colorado and down to Tucson last January. Snow, rain, wind, etc. Did fine.

Ytcoinshooter (Today)
Old 09-25-2024, 09:29 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by Powermankw
So just curious... Towing a trike and bike... Lowrider ST, not full bagger... What do you need? A friend is letting me borrow his trailer for a couple trips next year. It's like 25ft... More than enough room. In the future, we want a toy hauler... But for now... How much room are we talking? How long for an enclosed, if I went that route? I can stagger somewhat... But I'm sure someone here has done it.
For the LowRider and a Trike, you would want a minimum of 16 feet.

Load the 2 Wheeler first, to the left side of the trailer, pulling all the way up. Then you can pull the Trike up on the right, and the left fender of the Trike will be a bit behind the rear tire of the LowRider.

If you have a big enough Toyhauler, you will be able to do the same in it.

Here's a photo of three 2 wheelers on a flatbed, and below that are a couple of videos that you may find useful/interesting.

Kevin

Old 09-25-2024, 11:41 AM
Powermankw
Tourer

Originally Posted by DK Custom
For the LowRider and a Trike, you would want a minimum of 16 feet.

Load the 2 Wheeler first, to the left side of the trailer, pulling all the way up. Then you can pull the Trike up on the right, and the left fender of the Trike will be a bit behind the rear tire of the LowRider.

If you have a big enough Toyhauler, you will be able to do the same in it.

Here's a photo of three 2 wheelers on a flatbed, and below that are a couple of videos that you may find useful/interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzbKysq1ymc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRj4LMuhKrk

Kevin
Thanks, pretty much what I was thinking... You could back trike in first... But really same as you are talking just opposite so no point. That's kinda where I'm at just looking at what toy haulers would look like. Humm, at worst $7k enclosed new.

Old 09-25-2024, 11:44 AM
ShovelEd
Club Member
Received 45,431 Likes on 11,705 Posts

Originally Posted by Powermankw
Thanks, pretty much what I was thinking... You could back trike in first... But really same as you are talking just opposite so no point. That's kinda where I'm at just looking at what toy haulers would look like. Humm, at worst $7k enclosed new.
Watch your tongue weight. 🤔😉

Old 09-25-2024, 02:55 PM
Powermankw
Tourer

Originally Posted by ShovelEd
Watch your tongue weight. 🤔😉
Right, all the normal stuff still applies. I have a F-250 SD. It's enough. But the travel trailer, be it bumper or 5th wheel is a bit off. I like the idea but they are pretty outrageous these days. So I'm on the fence of a travel trailer or trailer. I want to keep it small, but something big enough for both bikes will probably be 35+. So IDK. For what RVs go for these days, that buys a lot of accommodations. It's a retirement thing though, so options...

Quick Reply: Looking at towing the Tri-Glide