Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Looking at towing the Tri-Glide

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2024, 05:35 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,225 Likes on 2,459 Posts

Originally Posted by BouseBill
Looking at towing the Tri-Glide.

Tow vehicle is a 2024 Ford Maverick with the 4K tow package, 2.0L Eco-boost engine.
I'm' looking at this trailer: ://beartracktrailers.com/product/76-wide-utility-trailer/

I'm looking at the 76X120 trailer, I can pick one up, used for a good price......my question is....is this enough trailer size wise being a 6x10'

After our trip we just finished...yeah its time to trailer the Tri Glide then ride. The 4K in 20 days kicked my *** to be honest
You look good on width and length of the trailer bed.

The axle on the trailers looks far enough back that you may be exceeding the tongue weight of the Maverick, which is 400 lbs.

I don't know anyway to know what the tongue weight will be without loading the trike on the trailer and measuring it. You will want 13-15% of the total weight on the tongue, which should come in somewhere between 250 and 300 lbs, which is well within the Mavericks specs...

The question is, can you put the TG far enough back on the trailer that the tongue weight is not too much.

Congrats on your Maverick...Mary just got one a few months ago...it is an interesting/fun little "truck".

Kevin

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 08-02-2024, 06:29 PM
Udawg
HDF Community Team
Received 151 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by ShovelEd
I use a padlock on the trailer hitch.

And there might be an Air Tag in there somewhere.
Air tag is a good idea. I have one in my tour pack under the liner but a padlock is just another 2 seconds for them.

Old 08-02-2024, 06:36 PM
ShovelEd
Club Member
Received 45,422 Likes on 11,703 Posts

It’s worked for me so far.
Kinda picky about where I overnight.
Anything to slow them down, makes them look for easier pickings.

Last edited by ShovelEd; 08-02-2024 at 06:37 PM.
Old 08-02-2024, 06:43 PM
Udawg
HDF Community Team
Received 151 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by ShovelEd
It’s worked for me so far.
Kinda picky about where I overnight.
Anything to slow them down, makes them look for easier pickings.
That's true. I use one too. Every little bit helps. I actually was trying to come up with something stronger than the padlock, but just didn't use it enough to make a serious effort.

Old 08-02-2024, 07:00 PM
BouseBill
Road Master
Veteran: Army
Received 1,409 Likes on 612 Posts

Originally Posted by DK Custom
You look good on width and length of the trailer bed.

The axle on the trailers looks far enough back that you may be exceeding the tongue weight of the Maverick, which is 400 lbs.

I don't know anyway to know what the tongue weight will be without loading the trike on the trailer and measuring it. You will want 13-15% of the total weight on the tongue, which should come in somewhere between 250 and 300 lbs, which is well within the Mavericks specs...

The question is, can you put the TG far enough back on the trailer that the tongue weight is not too much.

Congrats on your Maverick...Mary just got one a few months ago...it is an interesting/fun little "truck".

Kevin
Kevin and All, Thanks for the words of wisdom, I should have been more clear, We have the Maverick ON ORDER, It's suppose to enter the production stream this week, so we're looking at least to another month??
The trailer is a 2021 which is in immaculate shape and retails for $3.9K and I paid the seller $2.7, so....if it doesn't work out for the TG, I can sell it to a snowbird for their SxS. Probably putting the cart before the horse, ..........

We'll let y'all know how it works out next month.

The following users liked this post:
DK Custom (08-03-2024)
Old 08-02-2024, 07:22 PM
WONKEY
Road Warrior
Received 1,772 Likes on 819 Posts

Yes. That is enough trailer, just be mindful backing off the trailer, that looks like a short ramp, your exhaust may dig into the ground. I also bolt my safety chains to the eyelets on the hitch when the trailer is attached to the truck and the bikes are on it. Will it stop them, no but it will slow them down

Old 08-03-2024, 04:12 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,225 Likes on 2,459 Posts

Kevin and All, Thanks for the words of wisdom, I should have been more clear, We have the Maverick ON ORDER, It's suppose to enter the production stream this week, so we're looking at least to another month??
The trailer is a 2021 which is in immaculate shape and retails for $3.9K and I paid the seller $2.7, so....if it doesn't work out for the TG, I can sell it to a snowbird for their SxS. Probably putting the cart before the horse, ..........

We'll let y'all know how it works out next month.
Oh, that trailer in the photo above looks different than the one in the link first posted. The one above has the axle of the trailer further forward. You should have no problem loading the Tri Glide on there and staying under the 400 lbs tongue weight that the Maverick has.

Nice find!!!

My guess is you're going to really enjoy the Maverick. Mary's is the hybrid and she is averaging around 39-40 mpg, with a 50-50 combo of interstate and secondary roads, with a bit of in town driving mixed in.

The ecoboost will be lower mpg, but still really good for a truck.

Kevin

BouseBill (08-03-2024)
Old 09-22-2024, 05:21 PM
BouseBill
Road Master

The little Maverick pickup arrived. Ordered on 5/30/24 and arrived at the dealership on 09/17/24 Less than 4 months. 4K tow package so between the trike and trailer it should be just under or right at 2K pounds.

since that picture was take we lowered the front of the trailer another couple of inches so the trailer rides just a tad bit high in the front, with the weight of the trike it should be level.
So we start home on Tuesday, then we'll load the trike up for a short trip over to Eagar AZ to ride AZ 191 ( the old AZ 666)

The following 3 users liked this post by BouseBill:
Architect (09-24-2024), MikeRG3 (09-22-2024), pappy42 (09-22-2024)
Old 09-22-2024, 09:14 PM
MikeRG3
Cruiser
Veteran: Navy
Received 89 Likes on 63 Posts
Default Mud Flaps?

The little Maverick pickup arrived. Ordered on 5/30/24 and arrived at the dealership on 09/17/24 Less than 4 months. 4K tow package so between the trike and trailer it should be just under or right at 2K pounds.

since that picture was take we lowered the front of the trailer another couple of inches so the trailer rides just a tad bit high in the front, with the weight of the trike it should be level.
So we start home on Tuesday, then we'll load the trike up for a short trip over to Eagar AZ to ride AZ 191 ( the old AZ 666)
BouseBill,
Sounds like a great ride, and nice setup too.

Do you need some mudflaps to keep the rocks off the bike?

Have a good ride.

Mike

Old 09-23-2024, 08:52 AM
BouseBill
Road Master

Originally Posted by MikeRG3
BouseBill,
Sounds like a great ride, and nice setup too.

Do you need some mudflaps to keep the rocks off the bike?

Have a good ride.

Mike
Yes, mudflaps on order

MikeRG3 (09-23-2024)

Quick Reply: Looking at towing the Tri-Glide